Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

help got more numbness and pins n needles.

miss grumpymmiss grumpy Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
hi every one. im back with more worries. still not fused from acdf.on 28th june 2010. had a scan yesterday to find out why im not fusing, laying flat hurt my neck. im still in hard collar, but woke this morning with more, new extra numbness in my thumb little finger and ring finger on my right hand. befor the thumb and index and middle finger had been the prob, now its realy bad in the other fingers and got aching arm trisept more than bisep, as well i see my dr on 13th i dont know wether to panic or wait being as its only 2 weeks away. any advise please. :)))
Tina. :)

• Hello Miss Grumpy,

Going on my own symptoms and experience (see my sig), and backed it up with the Dermatomes:

Thumb = C6 nerve root (C5/6)
    Index & Middle = C7 nerve root (C6/7)
    1/2 the Ring finger & Pinkie C8 nerve root (C7/T1)

You mentioned bulges at other levels. It is possible while in your hard collar you are sleeping in such a way that you are inadvertently causing pressure on those other levels, hence recurring symptoms?

I know when I lost my Index & Middle (I felt the snap when it happened), I called my NS within that hour! He fit me in the next day. I wouldn't freak out yet, but I *would* call them tomorrow and let them know what is going on.

Are you having any tingles or weakness with these symptoms? Weakness is a "get attention" like now scenario. Tingles and numb, still something your NS needs to know about, but allegedly, not as urgent? Please let us know how it goes. Support *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • how frustrating the process of healing and with the symptoms you have post-surgery, wearing the collar and so hoping all is going as it should with the final destination of resolve of symptoms and successful fusion !!

I remember full well the patience, endurance and ing the challenge of being trusting and remain balanced in hope and peace that all I was experiencing did not mean I would not ultimately heal well and reach successful fusion and my symptoms of pain, numbness subside and feel good again.

I had ACDF on three levels with bone implant, terrible muscle spasms in shoulders and prolonged healing of trauma further exacerbated by a motor vehicle collision 6 months post op - - in it all it was a slow process and I continually went within and used relaxation, music, imagery and PRAYER to surrender to the process and I found it took 6-9 months to really see the major change of improvement and being "out of the woods" with my recovery and it was a year before I saw full improvement of reversal of numbness in my hands, soreness in shoulders fully gone.

Please know it truly is not unusual for you to be experiencing the numbness and tingling and your body is in an amazing healing process, healing from presurgery conditions to nerves and muscles, from the trauma of surgery to ligament, muscles and nerves, and needs time to heal and fuse.

Do try to trust the process and use reassuring affirmations, self-talk to calm those fears it is a powerful energy and great factor in your ability to rest and be assured you and your spine are healing and the bone is fusing well.

"I know I may be experiencing (numbness, tingling, diiscomfort, etc), but this all part of the healing process, and my neck (spine) is healing well."

"The surgery to my spine is allowing for new bone to stabilize and strengthen those areas that were once weak and degenerated, my neck and spine is healing and fusing just as it needs to."

"My body knows exactly how to heal and is becoming stronger and stronger each day, on the days where I feel pain or - - - or - - - I know it is all a part of the healing process"

Get fully into creating the very words to counter-act your doubts and fears, and to allow for the truth of your situation to be brought into focus... I got very good and learning to self-sooth and self-talk those fears from destroying my peace and trust - - and I was amazed it all unfolded well without the disruptive anxiety!!

Hope this helps...truly self-soothe you every step of the way you are of course concerned, but most of what we fear is pictured over and over and destroys the positive energy and harmony an peace you deserve and your body deserves - - it's a win-win, body-mind-spirit :) !!!

Truly you will see you are not stuck in the phase you are in - - you are healing Trust the Process!

And of course those ??'s and concerns can be validated and reassured by your doctor's office for it being "normal", "typical" in your healing phases.

• hi Brenda. thank you so much for replying, yeserday i seemed to be dropping things far more often, i'll give them a call later today, i was worried that as the symptoms stared after the scan they will say that nothing differant was seen, or can scans show up the problem before you have any signs. and im glad you mentioned the collar, fingers crossed im just sleeping akwardly. :)))
  • thank you joydancer, for you words i have started to pray and and to talk my self through this, im such a panicer, and feel like im running scared most of the time. im trying to come up with some idea to make my space more tranquil. and look at meditation tapes, at the same time im fighting an internal battle to live my life as i used to :<
  • miss grumpy said:
    hi Brenda. thank you so much for replying, yeserday i seemed to be dropping things far more often, i'll give them a call later today, i was worried that as the symptoms stared after the scan they will say that nothing differant was seen, or can scans show up the problem before you have any signs. and im glad you mentioned the collar, fingers crossed im just sleeping akwardly. :)))
    No problem Miss Grumpy, glad to help if I can. I re-looked at my now year plus old cervical MRI report, and found that I have bulging at C3/4 (minor), and I only bring that up, as I had a few times where I woke up with both arms numb! Each time for me, I was using a so called 'cervical pillow' and was sleeping on my back! I've since gone back to my memory foam, and *if* I do wake with any numbness it is on my back, but not total like before.

If I sleep flat (on my left side), I will wake with the killer headache from hell. On my right, minor headache (my C2/3 is the bugger there), on my back, legs up a little bit, no headache. I guess with all my findings, I thought I would toss that out for you. Hopefully you will find it is positional. :)

I am very glad that you are going to call. Even if they find it isn't enough to call you in, you might get some answers that can ease your mind, and too they now have it recorded should something odd go on. You are still in the healing phase, but the levels of nerves involved, that is why I feel they should know. I will keep my fingers crossed that it it just induced by sleep position. You might also ask if you can sleep in the soft collar - might make a difference. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• Hi Miss Grumpy,

If something has happened since your MRI, obviously that will not show up but sometimes an MRI scan does show up things that are not being felt at the time.

The week before my lumbar spine MRI scan, I started to feel much better and was convinced that my problem had sorted itself out!
    When I got the results, I was told that things had progressed and were much worse than they thought. They were amazed that I was managing to walk about, because of the severe stenosis on my cord. Needless to say, the awful pain returned all too soon!

If you are seeing your surgeon in 2 weeks' time, then it may be ok to wait. However, if you are concerned or things get worse, contact your surgeon. He can always tell you that it will be fine to wait until he sees you, but he is better qualified to make that decision.

Do let us know how your appointment goes. :-)

• thank you jellyhall, i'll let everyone know how i got on with the surgeon. :)))
  • I am a 35 yr old female with L2,3 S1 herniated discs. I have been dealing with this for 5 yrs, in Aug along with siatica, I started having pain & weakness in my left leg, making it very diffuclt to walk, sit, and live a normal quality life. I have tried conservative treatments, none of them worked.
    My neurosurgeon proposed surgery, a spinal fusion. we scheduled the sugery & had all pre-op testing done. Find out week before my surgery, the insurance company did not approve the surgery. The NS had a peer to peer with the insurance companies MD, but it was still denied. There reason for denying is because there is no evidence of spondylolisthesis. However there is evidence of spondylolysis.

So my question is, is spondylolisthesis common with L2,3 S1 disc herniation, or is it limited to L4,5? Does there need to be evidence of this condition for a spinal fusion to be performed. I am going to be appealing this with the insurance, so I am trying to gather information that maybe helpful in my appeal;
    any information is appreciated. :)