Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 S1

sallygssallyg Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had my first Microdiscectomy on 8th October 2010 after suffering from prolapsed L5 S1 for nearly 4 years.
Instead of one day stay in hospital after surgery I ended up staying for 4 days as still had really bad sciatica.
After having another MRI scan two weeks later it showed my disc prolapsed again straight after surgery.
Second Microdiscectomy booked for 10th December (2months after first).
I want to hear how many people it worked for 2nd time around?

• Hi Sally. Do you mind sharing how the disc reherniated so soon after surgery?
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Hi Paul,
    My disc prolapsed straight after surgery. As soon as I woke up I still had leg pain and the doctors were concerned that it happened as soon as they stitched me up.
    They said sometimes when the disc has been pressing on the nerve for so long (5 years in my case) that it is use to fighting again the disc wall so it probably jumped straight back into its 'normal' position.
    The docs said what they took out last time was a hard a fiberous lump so this time they will take more out and hopefully there wont be enough pressure iside to prolapse again.
    My surgery is in two days and although I am very scared, I am looking forward to waking up with no pain!!
  • SallyG...I thought I was reading my own story.

I actually made it home though and long story short, at week 10 post op, I couldn't take it anymore and pressed for the MRI which showed I re-herniated, likely pretty quickly after the surgery due to the scar tissue formation around disc.

I had my 2nd surgery 6 months after the first and it was back in Feb 2010. I'm doing pretty good and am glad I opted for that over a fusion.

If it helps, I believe if the reherniation occurs within 3 months of the initial surgery, the success rates are pretty high.

I thought the 2nd surgery would be worse and expected that. It was actually better. Even my husband was surprised at how mobile I was and how little pain meds I took.

I can answer questions based on my experience so feel free to PM me. Everyone is different but happy to let you know.

I'm impressed with what you say about your surgeon. My initial surgeon swore that the surgery was a success (I actually got tired of hearing it and how gratifying it should have been). I think it's fantastic that he took your symptoms so seriously and re-MRI'd you so quickly!!!
  • Hi,

I had my operation last friday and it was horrendous. I ended up in hopital for 6 days with the most excrutation pain and a temperature. They said I had an infection but would not treat it as they didnt know where it was (water, chest, lung etc)
    I am still in so much pain, I cant hardly walk. At the moment I would rather have sciatica than this.
    The only positive is that the sciatica has gone, but this is the worst experience in my life.
    The surgeon did say that when they opened me up they found that the fraction of prolapse has fused itself to my nerve so they had to cut the nerve membrane, they also had to cut me open more, I've got 12 staples this time, instead of the 8 last.

I know in the long term this will help me but right now I cant see through to the other side.

• I was reading your comments as if they had come straight out of my own mind and realized they were the thoughts of "I never should have done this" that I have been pushing back in brain! As if on cue from a higher power that saw I needed some cheering up - I slept over 3 hours in a row last night - yeah!!!!!!!!! That might seem like a little thing to many people - but believe you me when I say it was HUGE for me:)
  • So sorry that you are having so much pain. Hopefully the worst will be over now and you can begin to heal and feel better.Wow...fused to the nerve...no wonder so much pain. Hang in there...lots of support here on SH. Please keep us updated. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    gentle >:D<
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • hi,
    3 weeks after surgery and i can finally stand up straight :)
    i still have pain in my back and sciatica (about 50% less than before the ops)and my left calve feels like its about to go into spasms all the time and i have numb toes but i do generally feel better.
    i have to go for my check up 31st january and i start my PT next week so fingers crossed i am on the road to recovery.