Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pudendal Nerve Damage?

leapoff8thlleapoff8th Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Chronic Pain
HELP! I hope I can get some answers that are not forthcoming from the many doctors I have visited over the last year. I am a 45 year old female with two previous partial diskectomies (L4-L5 and L5-S1). I am also a jogger. Here's a brief synopsis of my symptoms:

1) diagnosed with a possible SI joint inflammation approximately 12 months ago. I did not undergo the block at that time. I would just run through the pain if it acted up or try icing it.

2) Began having rectal pain with excruciating pain during evacuation. Went to a proctologist but only diagnosed with mild hemorrhoids.

3) Experienced a hard fall on my right side on some ice approximately one month ago. Both legs went straight out and I went down on my right hip with no action to stop the fall. Immediately after I was ok, but then, about two days later...

4) ... I started experiencing pain in the perineum, low back, glutes (where they connect to the back of the leg), down the back of my thigh. It feels almost like saddle soreness but I'm no horserider! I also have some sharp shooting intermittent pain in right front pelvic area (feels like on my ovary) and the front of my thighs are very sore (like after extreme exercise).

This pain is constant with little to no relief from any OTC anti-inflammatories (aspirin). After researching, it sounds as though I might have entrapped my pudendal nerve, possibly from the fall on my right SI joint. Does anyone know if this could be right? The only relief I can get is by sitting on a 4 pound bag of frozen peas!!!!!

Thanks and hope we can all find relief to our pain!

• I have Pudendal Nerve compression as shown from my EMG/nerve test. I have to go for another EMG because I was unable to complete the first one 2 years ago. Pudendal Nerve is part of the sciatic nerve that starts from L4-L5.

I have good results from nerve blocks in my hip and SI joints and epidurals and from taking Cymbalta and pain meds. I also strengthen the muscles around the calf area and leg lifts and hip exercises but don't do those without a Dr. consent.

Have you seen a Neurologist or had an EMG/nerve test yet? My Primary Dr. ordered that test and I saw the Neurologist the same day. Also let your Dr know about your nerve pain.

I need to use a cane for walks as when I walk my weak foot causes me to stumble. I hope you can get some pain relief soon and we're here to support you. Take care. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Dear Leapoff,
    Your symptoms definitely sound like pudendal nerualgia. If you google Health Organization For Pudendal Education, (HOPE), you will find much valuable information. There are only around 5 surgeons in this country that treat this condition. You also need to see a physical therapist that treats pelvic disorders. Whatever you do, don't do anything like the the Kegel's exercise, as exercises that tighten the pelvic floor make it worse. Hope this gets you started!
  • Would it show up on an MRI or CT scan or is the dx based on symptoms?

• My mistake. I was and still am having numbness in my groin and saddle area but just because I could feel the instrument when the Neurosurgeon Fellow Dr. did the test on the inner thighs which is way far from where I have the numbness they said I have no issues! with PN. I actually have nerve irritation from my L4-5 and have peroneal nerve damage and not pudendal nerve and it is very hard to make a diagnosis for Pudendal.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.