Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thoracic - Scapular/Brachial

JoydancerJJoydancer Posts: 463
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Well, I am very pleased to have finally found a good Neuro closer to home and had an appointment this a.m. for the severe brachial plexus and shoulder blade pain which is radiating down my left arm and creating major nerve/muscle pain and damage down into my hand.

It's finally the bright light in the tunnel and was so pleased in the thorough physical exam he did and his ability to focus on the scapular / under arm muscle and nerve problems on left arm / hand.

He's confirmed some suspicions I have had and believes:

#1 C-Spine Surgery will most likely not remediate the nerve/muscle problems in my arm/hand with the obvious muscle/ligament problems I'm having back of shoulder blade and into under my arm.

#2 Elbow & Wrist Surgery is on table until full diagnostics accomplished.

#3 HNPP hereditary neuropathy is wrong focus

Focus needs to be on:
Brachial Plexus & Suprascapular/Thoracic Muscle & Rotator

Diagnostics to be done:
- MRI Brachial Plexus - Scapular Area
- EMG NCS full test (not just arm to hand)

I am finally getting support of what seems to be the culprit for the severe nerve/muscle spasms and the severe episodes (5 now) where I can't move my arm and I have severe ulnar/radial nerve problems.

Re: Diagnostics MRI & new EMG NCS

Diagnostics are going to certainly tell us more. I'm pleased that a new complete EMG/NCS will be done (by the Neuro himself) previous one done in June by Ortho Dr's office done by Physiatrist was incomplete and he did not do the paraspinal muscles, brachial/scapular area upper and back shoulder to my arm - - not good, bypassed the real area where I have had constant pain. And in fact, I knew it would then isolate improperly and as results showed, they diagnosis targeted elbow unlar nerve compression and wrist.

So glad it will be the Neuro doing a full one as well from physically examining me identifying the constant pain source I have been having in the back scapular and under my arm!

I live in a small community,we just got a new Neurology Center and a Neurologist who is specialized with the neuro-muscular and movement disorders. I understand many have been pleased with the comprehensive diagnostic work this Neuro does.

So I am very hopeful now that I will finally know more about what I feared was not coming from my C-spine 6/7 levels, but from back of my shoulder and under my arm, where all the pain starts & not from my neck! - - believe we are focusing on what is the real culprit to my arm/hand disability. Unfortunate my OS and NS did not suggest pursuing the scapular/shoulder muscle/nerve area when they said prognosis was not good to remediate or reverse the nerve/muscle problems I was having in my arm! As well Neuro they referred me to bypassed it also! Not surprised I have seen this disconnect and narrow focus with OS/NS and some Neuro's!

Looking forward to my new and complete NMG NCS and MRI and finally moving in the right direction after 6 months of severe pain/disability !! :)

• Thats great news and I can't wait to hear what they find. I think alot of my problem is coming from this same area. My ortho is damn good and he thought I had a major rotator tear. When he operated he didnt find what he expected but I think there may have been other damage that he couldnt imagine.

Janelle we have very similar symptoms so I am curious to hear what they are going to do now and what they can hopefully do to relieve some of the pain.

When will the tests be done?
  • Awesome! I shattered my scapula in my accident and was told by the ER doc that it's one of the most painful fractures- I guess there are a lot of nerves in the area? Luckily it was the only fracture that healed well, so I don't share your issues! I had an EMG afterward and thankfully it was all normal.

I sure hope they not only figure out what's wrong, but a way to fix it as well!

• Yes, I am ecstatic - - very happy!!!

Finally someone actually touching, physically examining the target spot and listening how it goes directly under my arm/scapular area down into my arm - - big time constant pain!

Golden words, Kris, from this Neuro, "I am concerned that you are being told you need major cervical spine surgery and they and I know it's not going to relieve your pain.... and resolve the problem"!!!

Considering the 7 months of medical failure, I have been moved onto his schedule for a full EMG NCS tomorrow, he will do it himself! My MRI will be done on Monday, with review assessment appt. following week!!

What a God-send! Finally some real clear and bright
    light in the tunnel! :)

Yes, Kris, I know how you are right there too - - be happy to share what we find!

p.s. catch my post re: void & gap with NS & OS and Neurology - Neuromuscular (today) DiLauro's re: Thoracic issues - - boy could I write a booki!! lol!

• Yes, it is soooo good finally to have a Physician a Neurologist who says he/she treats neuro-muscular to focus, examine and now doing full diagnostic assessment on the scapular/brachial area and my a arm/hand !!!

HappyHB, oh there are major muscle-nerves that can be injured, inflammed that get ignored, and unfortunately I have found do not get addressed when spinal conditions are being treated and having interventional major surgical procedures - - way to narrow minded in diagnosing and treatments for the neuro-muscular in our body!

I feel very good about the direction this Neuro is taking and actually I was waiting too long for what I had known and studied and what was being truly not focused on, nor answers to my ???'s re: my symptoms and diagnosis, specifically about brachial plexus, scapular.

Will have MRI on that very area + full EMG from my spine, the scapular, brachial area to my arm - - finally done right !

• Oh Janelle....That is the best news I have heard in a long time!!! It is about time that a Dr take you seriously and actually listens!!!

YEEAAHH!!! :)
  • Yes, it felt great to find someone who actually is dedicated and his practice focuses on neuro-muscular pain, real diagnostics, and treatment !!

More to come!