Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Im FUSING !!!!! Great post check up report !!

JaniebabyJJaniebaby Posts: 93
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hiya !! Got some good news back from my consultant today !! The team are really pleased with my progress and had me xrayed today which shows my fusion is fusing well !! Also I got the go ahead to start work on light duties from the 12th of january !!! I'm so pleased and am looking forward to normal life !! All my reflexes are good and she was impressed with my walking. Got to go back in 3 months time but I'm over the moon !!!

• Isn't that the greatest thing to hear? I remember being so nervous the first time they xrayed to see how my fusion was coming along. It was music to my ears each time I'd go in for an x-ray and meeting with the surgeon.
    Excellent news! Hope you'll continue fusing and get to hear that it is complete soon!
  • It was music to my ears , honeysmom , when I came out of the office , I raised my arms and shouted 'yes ,I'm fusing ' !! And a few people smiled with me !! Lol how silly did I look but I didn't care as I was so relived and happy !!!
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Really pleased for you Janie, you have done really well

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Congrats - so glad for you!!!
  • Congrats!
    Very happy for you.
    But please remember that you are still healing.
    Dont be doing any cartwheels yet.

• That is fantastic news - just what we fusion patients want to hear.

Well done! =D>
  • I must agree with Jelly, we fusion patients DO love to hear that kind of news! You go!!

• >:D< Glad to hear that you are progressing! It is a happy day.

• Janie,

That's wonderful news and can appreciate how good it felt to hear it is fusing well !!! YEAH !

Hey! I'm shouting with ya! :D ??? And you looking silly to do a "yes celebration" in the office <:P - no way girl - - that was well worth the celebration - - and even shouting it from the rooftops!!

Feel good about your progress >:D< see it continuing !!!

p.s. Will never will forget hearing my report of fusing well - - 7 months post-op in spite of a mva collision :O 2 months before ) >:D< Thank you God !!

• I am so happy for you! I remember that first xray and how I was worried. Glad it is going so well. Hope I can say the same in 3+ months! What a great way to start the weekend!
  • That is wonderful news! Congratulations! You are on your way
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hooray! It is EXCELLENT to hear about your success! Thanks for sharing. It makes it a little easier for me to hope mine goes as well :)
  • Hi,
    Just joined forum a few weeks ago and am scheduled for fusion (same area)Feb. 7th. I'm soooo nervous about it but you're posting gives me good hopes for it. Can you tell me how 'long' your actual surgery took and how long you were in the hospital?
    thnx for any info. you can give me about it all!!
  • I'm very happy for you! It must have felt so good to hear the good news you're fusing. I wish more people could be more expressive in public of positive outcomes! Hope you heal completely! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hello barb f ! I had my op on the 12th of October ! Like you I was very nervous. I was in admissions at 7am and after seeing the doctors and all the others important to the op, I finally went to theatre at 10 am. I woke up in recovery at gone 4pm and was on the ward about 5 ish. I had inflatable pumps on my legs , a catheter and Iv drips of saline and morphine pump. I was also on oxygen as my blood pressure was low. They did say it would take 2 to 3 hours but I guess they found a bit more hence the op taking it longer. My pain was controlled well using the morphine pump but I had to have my obs taken every hour until the next day because of low blood pressure , I also had 3 lots of antibiotics to prevent infection. The next day the physio came and got me up to walk with a zimmer frame. I did a few steps and sat in chair for a while ! The leg pumps had been taken off as well as the oxygen. Next day was better more walking and the catherter out !! I went in tuesday and came home saturday. You need to take it easy for a few weeks at home. I really couldn't do much for about 3 weeks. Not easy but it has to be done. I found a raised toilet seat invaluable ,a v shaped pillow and a grabber ! Its not a breeze in the park but it does get easier. I did have probelms sleeping cos of leg pains but these fade away eventually. I am glad I had the op as most of the chronic pain has gone !! Tell us a bit about you ! I hope I have helped , if you have other q's just ask !!!
  • Thanks so much for your reply! I'm 62 yrs. old but very active (and hope to be that way post-surgery); I've been dealing with the spondilo for many years and didn't actually discover I had it until afer I ran the NY marathon in 1994! Also have had bilateral hip replacements (one in 2000, the other in 2004) both doing very well. I currently, bicycle, kayak (kills my back though), do yoga, hike. I've had several epidurals but they don't do much for the pain anymore.
    Did they do your surgery from front or back? My surgeon is talking about going in from front.
  • They went in my back which personally I think is better as its less pain imo .but it all depends on your scans ect. My main probelm was that I had quite a bit of slipped vertebre in one area and severe nerve impingment. I too was very active being a member of the gyn etc. I know my back will never be the same again but to have a lot less pain and to sleep at night is bliss not to mention being free of drugs as much as I can be. I currently take 2 co drynamol at night and that's it !! Keep us updated won't you xx BTW the epidurals never worked for me either !!
  • I'm smiling for you too. When my surgeon said I had a good solid fusion at 6 months, I was over the moon.

Wishing you lots of good days.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Congratulations on the fusion. That is very encouraging to me. I had a TLIF on L4,5,& S1. November 18th. Indeed it has not been the easiest thing but I progress every day. One of my walks is a mile now. I do have the problems with leg pain too. My right leg has inproved to the numbness and burning sensation just being in a small area in my right thigh. The left, however is the entire side of my right thigh and radiates to my left foot when I am lying down for very long. I am looking forward to that being gone. Other than that, I still have a little post operative discomfort and occasional muscle spasms that most of the time can be controlled with Tylenol. Again thanks so much for the info. and best of luck.