Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Screw out from previous surgery

kbaker1018kkbaker1018 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi All,

I had neck surgery in 2006 and had a disc fusion with screws installed. Since my surgery, I ave lost about 50 lbs. and I am an active bicyclist riding over 80-100 miles a week. In August, I did an event and had neck pain following. After physical therapy, went back to dr and x-rays showed a screw has come out of fusion area. Has anyone had this happen? How do you think it occur? Do you think my cycling had anything to do with it? Any answers would help me out gratly. Thanks in advance.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I not only had a screw come out but also had a shattered screw along with a backing out screw. Did your neck fuse? After the fusion has taken place the hardware is useless.If the screw is not causing any problems they more then likely will leave it alone. My surgeon told me that sometimes it just happens. I would imagine that on your original surgery you signed a form stating that you were made aware that the hardware could come out or fail.
  • My first thought was when you bicycle, you keep your head bent up for quite a long time, don't you? I wonder if that's a problem for cervical surgery patients post-op. I know that I can't keep my head bent in any one direction for very long without pain, especially up or down, except for straight ahead without my neck bent.

So if your screw came out, is it just floating around in there? Or do you just have a screw loose (sorry for the pun, but it's kinda funny)?

What does your surgeon want to do about it? Like Susan said, some people have to have their hardware out if they've fused due to pain and problems with screws. The good news is that hardware removal is much easier than the original surgery.

Good luck to you and welcome to Spine-Health.