Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any experiences/tips pre/post op.

MannyMManny Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Spinal Stenosis

Thanks for sharing your experience in the forum. I had some radiating pains from my neck to my arm 2 weeks back. I am 33 yrs old and have never experienced this before or might have been ignorant of similar pain of small grades in the past. I then found that all the pain could be spine related even though i did not have a pressing reason to have a MRI done, i just wanted to get that over my head. Guess what, big surprise and spinal cord compressed to more than 5 mm and was diagonised with severe spinal stenosis and myelomalacia. Dr wanted to perform an immediate surgery as a small car bump or even a sneeze sometime can put me into the emergency room. Well, this was hard for me to digest as i did not have many symptoms or was i ignorant. I had mentioned my symptoms to my primary care physician in the past but was discounted for hypertension and stress. I also realized that i do have numbness, pins and needles and occasional pain in wrist, sometimes the finger tips hurt so bad as if i was breaking rocks with them.

Long story short, i read and researched on my condition and agreed that surgery is the best thing for me even though i had learnt to live with the other symptoms. The dr says that to relieve the pressure of this kind he will have to approach from 2 places, Anterior and Posterior. Fusion from C3-C7 and then lamenactomy somewhere in between to relieve the spinal cord pressure.He is using titanium cases with bone graft and bone marrow taken from hip for the fusion. Bone growth stimulater 30 mins a day for a month or more. Has anyone had this type of surgery? On an average how much time it takes for recovery? What ROM is lost? I read that people usually retain sidewide but loose up/down.

• All,

I am back home after 2 major surgeries. I got the ACFD C3-C6 the first day and then the posterior fusion C3-C6. The OPLL was not cleaned completely and a large ossification is still present, but from what i am told is that the cord now has room and does not need anything to be done for 10-12 years. The surgery as such went well, except that i have a new pain in my right palm which i never had before. The good news is that it is localized and is reducing so i am not much concerened. In fact i had no pain before surgery except for the radiating pain which made me get the MRI. With the pain meds, the surgical pain is managable for a while, but sometimes i feel sharp shooting pain when i try to reposition while sleeping. BTW, today is the second day i got some sleep. Any ideas on how to winddown on pills and manae pain/ I take Diazepam 5mg and oxycod 650 mg.
  • Good to hear you're doing well after surgery. I think your pain management Dr. can help you wean off your meds. That's a high dose of oxycodone you take! You must have been in so much pain before. I thought my dose of oxycontin is high at 120mg. Best wishes for your recovery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN