Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oxycontin- Oxycodone x Suboxone

The lions denTThe lions den Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Pain Medications
I got injured in 2000 and have been on large doses of Oxycontin and Oxycodone with xannax and other mussel relaxers, but found a Dr. that prescribed Suboxone and this is a wonderful change. Not only does it control my pain much better, but now I don't need xannas, or any other medication. This is a wonder medication and wish I would have found it 10 years ago. I can now live a full life with little pain.{Before- pain level 7-8 NOW 4-4-1/2 } In my back I have had L-1-2-3 crushed and up till now suffered all the time even on the other medication with pain.Don't even think twice on this medication, go for it and it will change your life..

• Is your chronic pain any better now that you are off of the Oxycontin? My pain clinic Dr. assures me that if I go the same route that you went that my pain level will decrease but I am very skeptical. I went through quick detox 10 years ago to get off Methadone but my pain level was unbearable and I could not get out of bed and do anything for weeks after the procedure. I am so mixed up about this possible change that my mind is going through contortions.Oh by the way I injured my lower back in a snowmobile accident and had subsequent spinal fusion surgery on L-3.L-4 and L-5 with 2 titanium rods and pedicle screws. I have problems at s-1 nerve where callus tissue has formed from the surgery that rubs on my sciatic nerve causing me extreme distress. I have been through 6 rounds of steroid injections and nerve ablation procedures but they always failed to have any long term positive results. The Drs. think that a quick change will help but I am scared to death of the withdrawals and the chance that I will be in more pain and become more useless that I feel right now. It seems like I cannot make anybody happy, I really hate this position. It seems like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place until I die. My pain level is 6-8 on a daily basis. Also I thought that they ween you completely off Suboxone after so many months that it was not used as a pain management prescription.
  • A big concern with Suboxone, is that it is approved for use in the treatment of opiate dependence, but not as a pain medication. I personally know of at least one case where the PM doc wanted to prescribe this for a CP patient. However in order to get the insurance company to approve it and get it through the system, he would have to put in this person's medical records that they have an opiate dependence issue and were being treated for that, and not for pain.

The thought of a doc actually suggesting that a patient's medical record be falsified in order to prescribe this medication for pain, is frightening.

• That's awful. It reminds me of a situation many years ago when a doctor wanted to give me amitryptyline for neuropathic pain, but explained she would need to put on my medical records that I had a psychiatric problem before she could prescribe it!

With the buprenorphine patch (Butrans) already approved by the FDA for treatment of chronic pain in the US, this will hopefully begin to change. I've been prescribed buprenorphine (in its sublingual pain relief formulation, Temgesic) for many years now, and have had pretty good results with it. It doesn't work as well as it used to, but I think that's because I've been on it for so long and my condition has worsened. The patches are supposed to be more suitable for chronic pain.
  • Was just reading thru and i needed to say something about suboxone treatment for pain. I started pain management in 96 and was on every kind of pain meds 4 years ago in New Jersey they put me on suboxone for pain 8mg 4xs a day and i stayed on it for 3 years and i felt better than i had in years was able to do more things and i actually felt myself again. Now i live in another state and the pain management here does not believe in using this drug for pain management only detox they would rather put u on roxys or percs, morphine or oxys and the new one opana (maybe mispelled) all highly addictive drugs which i been on which is crazy if suboxone works its one of the best to be on. They are easy to get off of and they dont damage the liver like some of those drugs do exspecially if u have hep. So i guess it depends on the state u live in some or all insurances will cover it . NJ covered it all and that was even with medicade. But suboxone really does work if u just want to get rid of the pain, most people dont like it cause it dont get u high and thats what alot of people like. ITS CRAZY
  • I have read a couple of your posts..... I know you have good intensions talking about your experience with sub's.
    However, for you to paint a picture as pretty as you do regarding this drug is so wrong!

Just read a few posts about Subs over at URL Removed forum regarding sub's and you will see there is another side to the story about this med.

I have delt with over 5 people in the last 3 years that were over RX'd this drug by the very type of Dr. that would RX for chronic pain.

It has stolen their lives. If you can stop without getting so sick so bad that you die. It's very hard to still live a normal life.
    In many cases Lithium is needed just to stay functionable.
    Sub's to me are a drug that you take and plan on taking for life! And thats a great thing if you are a heroin addict. Or to stop taking other bad habits and then you should only take a fraction of what's Rx'd and no longer then 2 weeks.
    You might think it's a great Chronic pain med. And maybe it is.
    But to present as if there is no consequences after use is false and the proof is all over the net.

Please remember this meds is not offered to most with chronic pain because it is not approved in the US for it and to suggest they should ask about it could put many pain patients in a funny situation sitting in front of their PM at their next visit.

My 2 cents

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Administrator Dave
  • Actually, buprenorphine (the opioid analgesic in Temgesic, BuTrans, Transtec, Subutex, Suboxone, etc.) has been approved for pain relief in the United States for a long time. It has long been available in injectable form as Buprenex for acute pain, and the FDA has also approved the long-acting buprenorphine patch for treatment of chronic moderate to severe pain.

In many other countries it has been used first and foremost as an analgesic for over thirty years. It has only been used as a treatment for opioid addiction for about a decade in the US. Of course, like any opioid pain reliever, it has its advantages and disadvantages.