Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone Growth Implanted Stimulator

Mindymork62MMindymork62 Posts: 207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
H Everyone,

I'm going in the 14th of this month to have my bone growth stim. removed. It's done on an outpatient basis and the Dr. said if I don't have any complications, I should be home the same day. Only thing I don't like is that I'll be under general anesthesia and I usually have a hard time with that, but he knows it. Can anyone who has had this surgery tell me about your experience? I am still having allot of pain in the same area as the stim., among the other areas, and that's the reason for the removal. I go to pre-op this Tuesday and getting a little nervous.

• I had an EBI type put in at the time of my fusion. The battery pack is just under my skin, electrodes are attached to the bone implant area. My OS said that the battery will be dead in about 6 months, and at that time if I want it he can remove it in a simple outpatient procedure. My understanding was that he would be using local anesthesia only. Since it does not bother me, I never had it removed. My surgery was 2 1/2 years ago. Is your stimulator similar to what I have?

• Hi Kin,

I had to go and get my card I carry with me for the name of the stimulator. The name of the device on the card is, " SpF - XL IIb 2/DM".
    I go into the hospital next Tuesday, have the surgery, then recovery, and off to my room. I stay over night and go home in the afternoon, providing no complications. Also, he is giving me general anesthesia. I have hurt from this being in ever since I got it, with pain in the right side of my back mid-section all the way to my butte. I'll be glad to get it out.
  • i have a SCT implanted. i remember reading its a bad thing to leave it in more that 6 months if its not being used.
    kingpain i know yours is a bone growth stimulator but i'd ask if its dangerous to leave it in if not in use.
  • As I said, at the time he put it in my OS indicated that removal is up to me, but now that you mentioned it, I think will do some research on the subject. It is good to know that other spineys look out for each other.