Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

flying after surgery

booksbbooks Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm a 'newbie' here, and have some questions...hoping someone can guide me.

I've had 2 level ACDF right before Thanksgiving. So far it is seeming to go well. Last night for the first time I tried my bed vs the recliner, but now I have a sharp 'stretching' pain in my arm, that goes from the inside of my elbow to my thumb knuckle. I'm taking meds as needed and wearing a Maimi J neck brace 24/7. Of course I have all the typical restrictions. I work out of my house, so I have been able to go back to work as long as I rest during the day.

Not scheduled to see the NS until mid Dec for my first visit with him since surgery.

About 2 months after surgery I'm scheduled to fly across country (2 layovers). Do you think I will be making that trip? Got any suggestion on lifting the luggage? It's just a two nighter, so I won't need to bring plenty of clothes.

• Me too. I had a PLIF on November 3rd and on January 3rd am going to be flying to San Diego from NY but no layovers. I just am going to try and get a aisle seat and get up at least once an hour..bring something to make a back roll. I am going to check my luggage with a small carryon. I would think you should be feeling ok to make the trip. Bring your meds just in case.

Good luck.

• I think you'll be fine flying 2months post op. I was just 'released" so to speak to carry on with everyday life, but NS didnt want me moving furniture. Just make sure you ask for help if you need it. I asked a lady to help me get a 17 lb bag of catfood at Walmart....BAM, it was in the cart. People are mostly good! ;)
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    3 level ACDF nuttin like being passed out in first class when they come by to offer your meal of the day. Notice I said after my FIRST ACDF. My poor aftercare instruction and compliance led me to having to have the entire procedure ++ redone 1.5 years later, anterior and posterior. Psudo Arthrosis
    and another herniation above the level of the first round of fun.

I guess what I'm trying to say is discus with your surgeon what he believes your limitations should be and then add a couple of weeks to it. This is not anything that you want to have repeated for any reason .... ANY reason.

Reagards and good care,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!