Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi! I'm new. Having ALIF in 10 days, kinda scared!

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey everyone!

I have already stalked the forum a little bit, and am already grateful for it! Looks like a very supportive bunch, I'm glad I can join.

I'm 24, I first injured my low back at age 17. I had an extreme hyperextension during an aerial dance lift... And stupid teenaged me just kept dancing for another year. I've been dealing with LBP for just about 7 years now. With severe degeneration at L4/5 L5/S1, I've tried pretty much EVERYTHING else, and the pain has just gotten worse and worse over the years, and now it's severe and constant :( . My last resort is happening in a week and a half.

I'll be having a 2-level ALIF not this Thursday, but the next! I'm kinda scared, because I've never had any kind of surgery before. I guess I'll be cruising the forums, to see if I can find a bit of courage here.

See ya round the forums, everyone. Thanks!

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.so glad you finally decided to stop by! i injured myself as a teenager as well! it is a long road for sure! be sure and check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more support.. have a good look around and make yourself at home.. good luck to you as you enter your surgery and recovery.. be sure and keep us informed.. SH can be a good friend during your recovery.. Jenny :)
  • Hi just wanted to welcome you to the site. The people on this board are full of wonderful information and support. Wanted to wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery. Please keep us updated on how everything goes.
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Welcome to Spine Health.

I have had a both a PLIF and more recently, an ALIF, both 2 levels, lumbar. While any spine surgery is a major surgery, typically the ALIF is a shorter operation, shorter hospital stay and best of all easier recovery. I say "typically" because there are always exceptions to the rules.

You definitely have age on your side recovery-wise. If you have any questions please post them, or PM me. We are a helpful group of spineys!

Take care,