Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anybody here with Lupus Anticoagulant?

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just got back from my pre-op with my PCP.

This is my latest thing to fret about. The NS ordered PT/PTT (clotting tests) and I fail those because of an autoantibody called Lupus Anticoagulant. My doctor sent him the studies from the hemotologist showing I have normal clotting, I hope that's good enough :(

Anybody else here have Lupus Anticoagulant? How did your doctors handle it? She also wants DVT prophylaxis, since LA actually means I have hypercoagulative blood and am at risk for clots. So I guess I'll have inflatable socks.

I am also supposed to get a chest x-ray, does anyone know why that is?

• Everyone gets the socks. As far as the xray, do you or have you smoked? The anesthesiologist will want to know the condition of your lungs, black being bad.

• No, I am a lifetime non-smoker. I don't even have asthma.
  • HB,

Smoker here, and as Dave said, the Anesthesiologist wants to be sure there are no issues with the lung, smoker or not. My SIL never smoked, yet died of lung cancer at 42! No symptoms, then one day kept coughing. Went to the doctor, x-rayed her...cancer!! So sad.

Do far for my surgeries pre-op tests:

EKG, Chest X-ray, blood work, urinalysis, general health exam (BP and such). Surgical clearance.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I think chest x-rays are just standard procedure, or they are here. While I didn't get the sock deal got the leg pumps in place of them, due to a foot issue and not having anything tight on it. They were the least of my annoyances.

One thing I would take with you is your own pillows. Trust me I have yet to find a hospital pillow that has anything in it. Plus it is nice having your favorite softner smell versus the chemical smelling linens.
  • Good idea, thanks! I'll survive the sock pumps, but still a bit worried about the PTT test issue. I guess if it wasn't that I'd have to find something else to be anxious about.

And now I have to find time to drive 45 minutes each way to see the thoracic surgeon, who I didn't realize would want a pre-op meeting (I should have).

Grumble, fret, grumble, fret.
  • I know this thread got started talking about something else other then the question i have but i am curious about something.. I know for pre op they do the blood work, EKG, chest x-ray, and so on and so forth but why do they do the urinalysis? Do they test for pregnancy or something? In which if that is the case i have had a tubial done about 9 yrs ago.. so there is NO risk of me being even remotely pregnant.. so does that mean they will still do that anyway? I know i had to have all those things done when i had my discogram back in October..Anyway I was just curious...and i am sorry of going off the topic at hand...
  • Yes, they test you for pregnancy, because if you are pregnant the anesthesia is very dangerous. I don't think it matters if you've been sterilized, they'll still want to test you on the one in ten thousand or whatever chance. I have an IUD and they said it doesn't matter, no test no anesthesia (this was when I got an upper GI done earlier this year).

• I also think they use the urine to test for possible kidney infections.
  • Like cgm said, they check UA to make sure you do not currently have a urinary tract infection. Many women have them without knowing it.
    FYI: wipe front to back..hahahahah

• Wildfire,

I asked on my last surgery, and was told they looked mainly for:

Blood in the urine
    Infection (UTI)
    Something about density? Don't remember what that was about.
    Cortisol (poss kidney stones indicator)

Pregnancy and infection is the big ones they check.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • By the way, to wrap this up in case anyone else with LA is searching, in the end I had the socks, the inflatables, and later on heparin injections as prophylaxis.

My doctors managed to get on the same page before the surgery, everyone knew how to deal with it, and I did not get a clot :)