Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here - SCS implant tomorrow

zoomazoomzzoomazoom Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hi All,

I am getting my SCS permanent implant tomorrow after a successful trial a few weeks ago. The trial was great, my pain didn't go away entirely but it was at least more manageable and that is a step in the right direction for me. I've had 4 back surgeries, any number of ESI's, tried acupuncture, chiros, massage, etc. I am in my mid-40s and have been hardly able to walk for a few years now.

I used to be very active and did triathalons. I am wondering if anyone out there has been able to resume athletics after their SCS implant. I am really hoping I'll experience less pain and be more able to run, bike and swim. Or, at least do one of those.

Also, how has your life changed after SCS and how were the first few weeks after your surgery? How long did you take off work?

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

• HI Zoom

I can't help you but wanted to stop in and say "welcome" :wave:

There are several people with a SCS here, so hopefully one of them will see your post and stop by :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hi and welcome. I'm excited for you that you have the opportunity to get your life back through the SCS. I found that after my surgery, I felt ready to get moving before my doctor would allow me to. She required me to stay out of work for five weeks, but luckily I was able to handle a lot of my work by phone and computer from my house after a few days.
    I think the bending, lifting and twisting restrictions were much tougher with the SCS surgery than what I had when I had disc replacement on two discs the year before. Those leads have to have time to scar in, so they are extra cautious.
    My SCS is cervical and the stimulator is implanted in my left hip. At 8 weeks, my pain management doctor released me to do whatever I felt like doing, no restrictions. So I think if you have good pain relief and feel like being athletic, you will probably be allowed to do whatever you want. They did caution me about being careful with stretching type exercise (yoga or anything with a lot of bending) because you don't want your wires to come loose, but other than that, whatever I was comfortable with, I can do.
    Hope you will have great success! Keep us posted.
  • Welcome to the club and Happy Birthday to you. I've had my stimulator a little over a year now. I'm not as lucky as some of the others in that I only get about 40% relief. I took two weeks off from work and I think my wife would have driven me had I not went back on my own. My restrictions (no BLT) lasted 4 months and I was sure glad when it was over. I don't run anymore, have some minor drop foot in the right foot that makes it difficult, but am an avid walker. I've gotten on the bike a couple of times over the summer, but my back kind of argued with me on that one. I have played a couple of rounds of golf, it was difficult but doable. Basically, you will find that you have limitations and the key is finding out what those limitations are without doing any harm.

Good luck on your surgery and make sure you follow your doctor's orders to a "T".

• I've had my SCS for over 2.5 years now and I have resumed doing many athletic ventures. I went back to scuba diving, walking, riding a bike, hiking (not the out for a walk type but hard charging)lifting weights etc... I did have to give up on Yoga and Golf. I also train and ride horses once again and even went back to work doing two part time jobs.

So it is possible.

• The SCS surgery went well although I have a hideous spinal fluid headache because the dura of my spinal cord was nicked. Also, the back and butt incisions are sore. I am sure those will improve. My doctor did say I probably should not plan on doing yoga which surprises me because I thought yoga was supposed to be really good for back pain. Really, though, I've never been a huge yoga fan so that part isn't too bad. Why did you have to give up golf? Because of the swing? Also, I am curious Haglandc, if your horses can sense the SCS? Horses are very sensitive animals, right? Do they react to it at all?

I appreciate all of the feedback.
  • Bummer about the headache, but those do pass once the leak is sealed. The incision pain for me went away fairly quickly and ice was a big help with that.

I had to give up Yoga and Golf because my wires run the length of my torso and I wound up tearing the anchors loose and pulling out the strain relief loops. So I avoid that super flexible stretching and twisting and it keeps the strain off of my anchors and wires.

I'm not certain if the horses feel the SCS, but cats certainly can. I seem to have a natural ability to calm animals anyway, so not sure if the horses pick up on it. Cats love the SCS, I think it must be like the vibration of another cat purring. Young kittens initially flinch and then realize how good it feels and I instantly become a collection point for any and all cats. Even the barn cats will find me and crawl up on my legs or my shoulders.

I hope that you find your SCS to be a great addition to your pain management.