Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My CT and MRI

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I finally got a chance to snap a picture of my CT and MRI. It is really noticeable how L5 is slipping off the back of S1, and L4 is slipping also. I really am hopeful that I'll feel a lot better once everything is lined up again!

• wow..Look at your L2!!! Then I read your byline. Looks painful
  • HB,

OMG!! And you're still walking? Holy wow!! Thanks for sharing, and soooo glad you are finally going to have that worked on! Whew!! Ouch!! Gentle *HUGZ*

[my edit] Can we say "What L2?"

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Brenda and Tonya took the words right out of my mouth.
    Wow. Are you having pain from L2?
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Yes, I have pain from L2, but it was the devil we knew, and for a long time nobody thought I should have surgery. The degradation of my lower lumbar and the increasing weakness in my left leg convinced them, and then when this CT scan showed how fragmented the bone was it was like "wow."

You know how it is, the belief is that the fusion and vertebrectomy will cause some pain themselves, so until it became clear that things were not stable nobody wanted to risk the surgery when it might not really improve the situation. Even now the surgeon is like "there's a good chance it will help" but the PM doctor is like "It will probably improve your lower lumbar situation, but don't expect a lot of pain relief around the L2 area." So I'm trying to be hopeful but realistic. If it releases the pressure on L5/S1, that will be a big relief in itself, so I'm just focusing on that and accepting that I'll probably always have pain from the L2 area.
  • Wow, I can't believe how much your picture changed. How long has it been?

Some times I think PM's are not thinking about our long term just the short term.

Good luck with your surgery.

• Good grief, honey!! That is one impressive scan.

Are you having symptoms related to the L5-S1 changes? What does you surgeon say about that again??

• Anyone suggest microD for that L5-S1?
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I would address them both at the same time. And get it over with.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Holy Hell..I hope that doesn't feel nearly as bad as it looks, cause it looks bad. Impressive scan indeed, ya know, just if you were looking for scan bragging rights that would have to be right up there! Wow.

Much Aloha + very gentile hug.
  • Hey HB,
    Those are some beautiful pictures. Well not beautiful as in a beautiful spine but great quality. Seriously though, What a mess. Amazing how nice scans are when there is no hardware involved. Amazing what a mess part of your spine is. No offense honestly!

L2 speaks for itself. L5-S1? Ouch!!! And I'm no expert.

Looks like they have some major work to do. I thought I read somewhere you were having a "360° fusion via posterior incision." Not sure I understand that. Then again, I'm definitely no expert. Are they starting in the back and then going in through the front or are they just opening you up in the back?

Either way, I really wish you well and good luck on your recovery. I hope this brings you some relief. Just a few more days....