Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C.T. Myelogram with contrast dye

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I got mine on 12/2. I had heard some horror stories about the dye injection. I wasn't worried because the surgeons scheduler said I would be anaesthetised and wouldn't feel a thing. WRONG!
They prept me in the hospital. I.V. Nice little see your butt gown and all that Jazz.
Then the Dr. came in that was doing the procedure. And began explaining exactly what he would be doing (in detail) Well he dosen't put his patients out. So they can leave in 1 hr. instead of 3 to 4 hr. Now I'm a guy with white coat syndrom (A 6 ft. 210 lbs. sissy) And after he described everything that (could go wrong) but was unlikely. He had me totally freaked out! :jawdrop:
They wheeled me in after leaving me plenty of time to worry. And even though my blood pressure was through the roof. He proceeded to put some lidocaine on the area, then gave me several shots of a numbing local. Then he shot the dye in several places. The only thing that happened was when he gave one on the right side, I got the electric jolt that hurts a bit from the back down my right leg. Then they wheeled me in to take the pictures. And I was done. The pain went away slowly over the next few hr. And really was not that bad to begin with anyway.
So I freaked out for nothing. :SS
It was no big deal! So on Mon. I'll get the results.
Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• Howdy Jim,

Glad to see the procedure went fairly painless for ya! Please let us know of the results. Fingers crossed for ya darlin!! :) *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Can I ask what position you were in during the procedure? And were you administered any meds for the post procedure pain?
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    They have you on your abdomen for the injections. Then turn to the right and then turn to the left. Then off to the machine. You lay on your back and go in and out about 4 times.
    They asked me my pain level post procedure. And I said 4 to 5. So they didn't offer anything other than my regular meds.
    Jim
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Jim,

What prompted the CT/Myleogram? I have been requesting this test for quite some time because I want them to be able to see where the nerves are being impinged via the contrast dye. That way I can get a better diagnosis.

~BB
    I P.M.ed you.
    Jim
  • Thanks Jim. What were the results of your test? Did it identify some things an MRI missed?

~BB
    But the main thing was the was no damage done to a mishap that I had. No fractures or fusion damage and at 10 mo. I'm about 90% fused. :D
    Jim
    The main reason for a Myelogram vs. a MRI is I have a s.c.s with metal leads.
    Jim
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Don't know if it helps but both of my CT myelograms were done without sedation. But for the back I asked for some versed and they did find a doc in the building who would give me one dose.

In every case they have the patient remain for 2-3 hours, but not due to sedation it's due to the need to lay flat (or with light head elevation) after the CT myelogram.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
advertisement