Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PollyRPPollyR Posts: 411
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Ok I saw my Dr day before yesterday and I had an MRI done last night because he thinks that my problem area is C-6, 7 and 8. He said that if my MRI looks good then we will do injections into the spinal cord in that area...NOT looking forward to THAT!! But he said if there are ANY herniated/buldging disc's then we will figure out what to do then.

I have thumb and first finger numbness/weakness and diminished reflex...all on the right side, thats why he thinks I have some herniation going on. Plus I have some new issues going on. My left shoulder blade is feeling wierd now also.

I will keep you all informed on what he tells me on the 16th of Dec...my next apt!! I wish it was sooner but what can you do??

• Polly did he give you a muscle relaxer or any new meds?

Hoping you are feeling better ~hugs~

• Hello Julie yeah he put me on Baclofen 3X a day and told me to keep taking my Hydrocodone as perscribed. It does not seem to be making a dent in this pain...but hey its only been a day or so. I just want the pain/weakness/numbness to go away. Wanna hear a funny though....I was cooking dinner last night and I went to pick up a pot of spahgetti noodles with my right hand, the numb one because I am right handed and my left one is stupid, and it didnt feel that hot till I grabbed it with my laeft hand...WOW was it hot!! My Hubby got onto me for that one!! LOL.

So how have you been doing?? I am getting ready to PM you back..between work/packing to move and Dr apts and such it has been crazy here!!
  • BTW Julie did you have the cervical injections done before your surgery?? How did those feel...I know we both went through the Lumbar ones but I am way more nervous about the cervical ones!!
  • Polly, Be careful silly >:D<

I never had cervical injections. My NS doesn't recomend them (not enough room in the cervical spine or something like that). At any rate I had some pretty huge "island bone spurs" that were not going to be shrunk by the steroids if you know what I mean. It was pointless.

I did have a Selective Nerve Root Block at C8/T1 after the accident- I begged for it. It actually was an excellent block. I had relief in that spot immediately for ever....

The bad news was once that pain was gone I discovered that I had the T7/T8 pain. I had 4 esi's since the accident. The only one that worked was the first one. The last one I had was really bad and I actually could barley lift my arm after and that lasted for a good week. I had pain about #8-9 at the injection site for the last couple weeks. It is now down to 4-6 but it doesn't stop.

My PM said no more injections (wait and see about the surgery from the NS on the 13th).

Being in pain 24/7 makes the nerve blocks very attractive- I say go for it if you don't have to pay for it. I have read somewhere that the ESI's are thought to be more effective on newer problems- seems like a great time to do it for you.

Good Luck ~hugs~

• Glad to hear you will finally find out what's going on inside your neck. I had 2 seperate cervical fusions in the 90's, and i know the pain you are in.

Boy thats a big move from colorado to califorina, a good friend of mine who i was in the marine's with lives just south of denver, and he told me they have better weather then we do here in chicago.
    Sorry bout the ramblin, and good luck with your doctor visit.
  • Oh Julie my friend...I am whacko arent I...LOL?
    Hubby did NOT think it was very funny at all!! ;)

I will ask my Doc about the nerve block....so your Dr didnt like doing injections in the cervical area...thats interesting!! I have been praying for you so that your surgery happens soon and that it takes all of your pain away honey...you have been through So much!!!

Hello Jim...wow 2 cervical surgeries...tht had to be hell on you!! How did you get through that, if you dont mind me asking. You must be a really strong person!! How are you holding up now??

Yeah I cant wait to get back to California...been over 18 years since we left there. And yes Colorado is one of the most beautiful states I have ever lived in but it is time to go home...:)

Thank you both for caring and taking the time to post...I really appreciate the fact that others hurt and take time for my measley little post!! Thank you my cervical angels!! O:)
  • the issues causing your shaking. Just saw this update. Be careful and I hope your arm situation improves each day.

• CGM..thank you for your sweet thoughts! I really appreciate it!

Ok today is starting out very painful....my whole right arm is really hurting...I didnt know that you could have "sciatica" pain in your arms!?!? I am just really tired of hurting...and more hurting...

I still have a headache from H%#L and my neck hurts pretty bad...:(
  • Pollyy, I hope the 16th rolls around quickly for you!1 And that they've got some good news to help you feel better.

Colorado to Cali, wow... look at the bright side, what you lose in scenery, you make up for in In'N'Outs! =)) 8} (and warmth!!)

• Oh Clandy thank you for the wonderful thoughts, I really appreciate it!! I do wish that too....I just have to stay strong and with friends like you guys how can I do anything else:)

And yes I cant wait to get back to In'N'Outs and the warmth!! I dont know which one I am looking forward to the most!! LOL:)
  • I had my cervical fusion's in 1992 and 1995, and like julieA I never had a cervical injection.
    But that was along time ago.
    Those fusions i had a longer hospital stay but the recovery was a piece of cake, compared to this lumbar fusion.
    In 3 months time i was back to my job driving a semi-truck, but i also was a lot younger, so i assumed that helped. So just be careful and get all the info. you need before agreeing to a cervical injection.

My best to you.
  • Jim...yeah its amazing how we heal when we are young...lol. I will try and get as much info as I can...as you can tell I am scared...stupid to be scared of just shots after having went through a lumbar fusion isnt it?? :) Thank you for that:):)
  • I would'nt say stupid, rather i would say smart.
    Just like in julie's post, there's not a whole lotta room in the back of our neck's.
    All the nerves running thru your whole body are there.
    That's why they do the surgery from the front of the neck.
  • Oh Jim...I am scared and trying to find info on this cervical thing is overwhelming with everything else going on....today between the right arm pain and the continuing weakness...I dont feel good about this whole thing!! Then I find out that the meds my Dr put me on, Baclofen, can make you have seisures and hallucinations if you just stop taking it! WOW...
  • If you go to "you tube", you should be able to find a video for the procedure the doctor's are talking about.
    That might help you better understand the process.
    My son showed me a video on there of a lumbar surgery before i had mine done.
    Just a thought.
    I had the same symptons, except in my left arm.
    In 1992 my doctor told me if i did'nt have the surgery, i would'nt be able to ever pick-up my baby (my then wife was pregenant at the time), well that scared the crap outta me, and i told him"lets do it"
    So it worked out good for me.
  • Polly,

Just catching up to your post and what is happening for you!

Yes, you have a lot happening, getting ready for your move to California - - that has to be good it being a return to "home" - - and omg it is such a gorgeous state been there many times have relatives in CA !

I can imagine you are doing a lot right now physically, plus the stress.

Well, we will sure be able to talk, dear one, with the C-Spine 6/7/8 degeneration and neuro-muscular problems!

Caught you asking to PM on your post today about ???'s ....:) sure - - sent you a PM !

Take it easy and let your hubby and others do more, they should know what's happening for you, and will !!

• Hello Jim...I guess I am scared to look at Youtube...I just recently watch the fusion in the lumbar , just like the one i had done a couple of years ago, and it made me cry!!! So you had the same problems just on the left huh?? Tell me more...:)

Oh Janelle....thank you so much for your sweet post!! Yes i am very excited about going home!!! I have missed it terribly!! I sent you a PM back, thank you:), with my questions.....I really really appreciate and LOVE you ALL for putting up with my whiney and questioning butt!! LOL:)

You have all saved me yet again!!