Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Slept on my side.....dull aching pain

cgmccgm Posts: 289
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
5 weeks post op today. I still find it very difficult to get comfy sleeping on my back. Last night, using my pillow for support, I slept on both of my sides roughly 2 hours each. Holy Snikeys...I'm paying for it today. I have this deep dull ache, will have to resort to taking a pain pill and laying back down. Sunny if your reading this...and or anyone else....do you think I did something to my hardware? The pain is in the center of my back/on my spine...right where I would consider my c 5-7 fusion. Maybe my muscles are just weak and not used to being in that position. I don't know, but I wont be doing that anymore. Boo hiss on this as I was feeling better until this acrobatic sleep move 8} ~X(

Thanks in Advance for your insight and experience.

• Hello CGM...while I have not had cervical surgery I had a PLIF over 2 and a half years ago and I still sleep wrong sometimes and pay for it later!!

In my opinion, which is just my thoughts from my own experience, I think you just slept wrong and get everything all irritated in your neck. But if it continues maybe a call to you surgeon...just to check!!

I hope it eases up on you soon!!!
  • thanks polly...Hope your feeling better and the shakyshaky is gone.
  • Cgm,

Howdy! It is not uncommon to have spasms in your neck or even mid back as you now have a section of your spine fused, and the whole spine has to adjust to this change. Your dynamics and loading are forever changed with a fusion. You are very 'young' in your recovery, so you will see these spasms as your body adjusts.

As to the pain and "could you have damaged your hardware" - my take, highly unlikely. Are you wearing a hard or soft collar? When I had my C5/6 fused, I slept better in our recliner, when my C6/7 was fused, I was great sleeping in my bed! See, even different levels respond differently. Hope that helps, and too you feel better soon. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Doc said I could take it off forever! =D>

Your so right too (may I call you Brenda too) :) things change inside each day of recovery. I actually feel a lot better after I laid down for a few hours. I quite sure its neck muscle weakness. I think i'll wait a bit longer to sleep on my side. Not worth it.

• CGM,

Yes, please do call me Brenda. :)

I was thinking after I posted my prior reply. I don't think I tried side sleeping for around 6 months or so, and then when I did, I made sure my neck was fully supported, and too had a pillow between my knees.

Baby steps, baby steps, baby steps. Oh, did I mention baby steps? *wink* 8>

• CGM... you made me laugh with the shakyshaky...LOL...no I still have them...That totally caught me off guard...Thank you sweety!!

Also congrats on the "no" collar!! That is wonderful!! I hope you have a wonderful evening!!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I know exactly what you're going through..been there done that as they say. I did almost the same thing and suffered the same consequences as you so I don't think the hardware is the problem. I've slept on my sides from day one but I'm bad to end up on my tummy and I remember posting here just like you the first time I id it! I think it's just the muscles that have gotten stiff and they get peeved when we stretch them more than they're willing to go. I was beginning to think those spasms would never go away but they do. It gets so much better! I can do most anything now without it causing spasms...yippee!

Please let me know how you're doing now. I hope you're feeling much better. If there's anything I can do for you let me know.

• Much better ladies! Everyday is different in the healing.

Polly, so sorry to hear that your still shaking. What the hell is causing this?

Thanks Debbie and Brenda...thanks for being great sounding boards!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm glad you're feeling much better today. Hope you slept good last night.

• Glad to hear you're doing better. No problem, lots of us are sounding boards for each other. :)

• CGM...I wish I knew what was causing the shaking...I just dont know...:( Please take care of yourself!! :)