Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally a Diagnosis

weezlewweezle Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have not been on here for quite some time. I believe the last time was prior to first round of ESI.
Little background: Tripped over leg of swing, twisting and jamming low back.
CT showed 3 bulging discs with L3/4 placing pressure on Thecal Sac and minimal spondalitic changes in L5/S1 area.
continued pain with radiculopathy/ neuropothy into right leg, so ordered MRI which came back normal. Went in for first ESI while also attending PT. ESI done in L3/4 L4/5 area. No change with that.
SO...... catching up to where I am now -----
Continued pain went for round 2 of ESI, placed into SI Joint. pain relief almost immediately and was able to return to teaching classroom (3,4,5 yr. olds Headstart rm) in August which was 1.5 months after ESI. Worked for 3 more weeks and pain returned with a vengeance. Could no longer stand, sit or walk by the end of work days. That Dr. basically gave up and said he did not know what to do with me anymore and referred me to a Physiotherapist. Since seeing him I have had an EMG/NC which showed slight abnormalities. Ordered to do FCE for work which placed me on sedentary/light duty.
He diagnosed me as having SI Joint Dysfunction and possible disc bulging due due to strain on back from that injury.
I have been ordered to wear an LSO for stabilization and going in for third round of ESI after meeting with an Ortho who recommends I stay with this course of treatment. Ortho said that if after 1-2 more injections do not last long enough. He is going to recommend me to see another Dr. within his practice for consideration to see if I am a candidate for SI Joint Fusion. Which scares the bageebies outta me.
But I am glad that after 8 months of pain and fighting, well 6 if you dont count the 2 months I had relief from injection, they were able to give me a diagnosis and start me heading in the right track.
But I have read that the "normal" diagnostic for si joint is the injection so not sure why they didnt have diagnosis for me earlier.
But either way glad to be heading in the right direction for treatment anyways. Just wanted to update and clear my head, Thanks for reading and if anyone knows of another treatment to keep me outta surgery longer please send me a link, I would love to read about other options if injections fail.

• Just wanted to welcome you back to SH. That is good news that you finally have a diagnosis. Now you can work from there. I don't have any specific ideas on where to go from here, but I am sure some of the wonderfully informative members on here will be able to help you out.
    Take care and keep us posted.
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hello weezle and welcome to Spine-health!! I am sorry that you had to find us though,:)

It is always exciting when we finally get a diagnosis.....then comes the next road to getting fixed or at least better:)

Again welcome!!
  • Welcome aboard!

It is always a good thing to know what ails ya. It can bring some peace of mind, at least briefly.

I fully understand you wanting to postpone your surgery as long as possible. That was my plan prior to having mine. In the end, the pain and lack of mobility won out and I actually looked forward to getting it out of the way.

As for options, that is something you should discuss with your ortho / neuro. The links for lower back pain on Spine Health have been a wealth of information; and generated some questions for me to ask after I was diagnosed with my "condition."

Best of luck,

View my history for all the gory details.
This discussion has been closed.