Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Clarifying rules for links.

• All links are subjective to the approval of the mods. We say subject as it depends on what the links do. Some may put up what they thought is a innocent link and you can see clearly the site in itself is advertising their own products. We also don't support advertising for any other web sites.

The two cases your referring to I can't say I have first hand knowledge of the individual circumstances. One thing for sure is when there is spine-health related material that offers the same information we prefer the sites own articles and links be used. Also if a article refers to one specific doctor say from their website we are not going to allow them either. You can usually find it safe on links using the dot org sites, but there was a case not long ago of us removing one. But had more to do with someone raising money for their own surgery and looking for donations.
  • I give up. I have deleted the link and info and I am requesting that the entire topic be deleted to make you happy.

It's funny, for the longest time I've tried to avoid most of the topics you post on or bring up because you refuse to let anyone have the last word and only you can be "right". Far be it from me to sprinkle sand in your shorts. Be right all over the place and have the last word here as well.

You really do make this a much more contentious site than it ever was before. My mistake was thinking that this was a site for all people with back pain, not just you.

Moderators. I am sorry for any extra work this causes for you. Please take care and thank you for, in the past, having provided a site that I was comfortable in coming to. This post was in response to the original poster, no ttamtam or any other moderator.
  • As for the news article that was permitted earlier today, I did not see it so I can't comment on it. I follow all links that I find within the forum. If it leads to another forum, contains advertisements, or objectionable material, then the link needs to be taken down. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums. I've already given you an explanation of why your link was not permitted and do not wish to keep rehashing this with you.

The best way to quote information from another site is to use the quote function within the forum. I suggest you cut'n paste the pertinent portions of the article and leave a comment that if someone is interested they can PM you for the link to the complete article. This provides the reader the best of all worlds. They don't have to click on the link to read what you are referencing and you can provide the points that you believe to be important.

Spine-Health is a for profit site. The forum is a free service provided to everyone as long as they are willing to abide by the rules of the site. Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials.

The admin team is not paid for our services. It's our way of contributing to the community. We try very hard to apply the rules fairly across the board. I'm sure we get things wrong sometimes but there is nothing nefarious in our approach.

Spine Health Administrator
  • Dave, you did explain the reasons, as I posted above- the names of doctors and existence of a forum, neither of which had been posted as making a link "illegal" (as I mentioned). I'm merely trying to get the rules straight.

Regarding copy/pasting, when I did that once, it was also deleted, I assumed for copyright reasons- maybe it was for other reasons.

Clandy, that was so unnecessary. I was asking for clarification, I did not complain about your link being allowed. In fact, I read an enjoyed your link and posted a comment to that effect. But thank you for trying to make me feel bad about how I've affected the site in general. Different personalities do sometimes shift things one way or another, I am sorry to have upset the balance of your world by existing in it.

Tamtam, thank you for your clarification regarding information that is also contained on the SH site. I did not realize that, and I do now, and it was exactly what I was looking for (without rancor). Not that I'll be posting any links in the near future, but it's good to understand why one is allowed while another is not rather than feeling like the rules are arbitrary.

• HB, You are quite right. I was rude and I posted something that, if I really felt the need to say, should have been sent to you privately. You, as much as any of us have the right to post and query actions taken.

I can only blame my own pain and stress this week as a factor. I'm not used to being off work, and 3 days in a row is scary for me.

I appologize for the manner in which I took regarding your post, I usually am more clear minded and compassionate, especially when someone is about to face such serious surgery.

I would hope that you not allow this to be a factor in your chosing not to post here anymore. There is often dissention, I just allowed mine to go further than it should have.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Clandy came to me asking if it was ok to post that link. I reviewed the article it was pointing to and approved. I told Clandy that it was ok to post it. The way Clandy handled this was the way all posts with outside links should be done. I encourage everyone to do the same.

What Tamtam and Dave pointed out is an accurate picture of what our team always try to do. There are so many good articles outside of Spine-Health, that I believe it is helpful for all members to see and read them.

Will there be times when some of those articles somewhere imbed information regarding advertising, items for sale, etc. We try to not approve those, but it does happen.

What is more important is identifying the source. We are sensitive to copyright protected information.

I find it easier to do what Dave suggested. Use of the Quote function allows posters to copy/paste some of the information from an outside source. It is also very important while doing that, you identify the source.

For example:

This information was from ABC.xxx dated xx/xx/xx

A recent discovery identified what the real definition of drug addiction is. Medical authorities have the ......

This way the source is identified and you are posting a snipet of the information.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
    Your copy/pasted post was deleted because it did violate forum rules in what could be posted.
    It is important for us to make sure that everyone understands this:

There will be times when one member disagrees with what another member has stated, or when one member takes offense to what another member has posted.

When this happens, our requirement is that any follow on discussions regarding that issue be taken offline and/or getting the Moderator team involved to handle.

• dilauro said:
    Your copy/pasted post was deleted because it did violate forum rules in what could be posted.
    Well, I'm sure you can understand the frustration of trying to play a game where only one party knows the rules. Rules that are complex enough and not shared start to seem arbitrary.

• I think I got it now - I think ;)

I too was confused about this. I posted a link 1 time about a drug. The drug link was from a very reliable site and was important to my post. Said link was removed and I was confused.

However now I see it is also about ads/affiliates and much more "behind scene" type of activity of posted links.

What are the copy/paste rules though?

Like a really good article or info - can we post info without link?
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I just want to say a HUGE TAHNK YOU to our Mods for doing the wonderful job that they are doing!! TamTam, Dave and Ron...you are ALL wonderful people who do a diffecult job....and I for one greatly appreciate all that you all do!!!

Thank you!!
  • The key to quoting is to use the quote function "[ quote=Title ]text.......[ /quote ]", making sure that you are not quoting copyrighted material. More times than naught, if you cut'n paste from a medical website, its probably copyrighted. Newspaper and magazine articles are pretty safe. There is a wealth of information within Spine Health, maybe checking to see if the site has a reference or article to support your point would be helpful to clarify your point.

• Dave I have to disagree. All published material is subject to copyright and resticted usage. Just identifying the source is also not enough to allow reproduction on a for profit website. This is very different from a student who quotes a copyrighted source for use in a school report which is for their own purposes.

By using a link you are going to a site that exists on the web for all to see.

This is truly a serious concern especially for the HON folks. It might be wise to get a clarification of the exact rules for quoting and linking.
    We have talked about this before among the moderators and owners. We fully understand copyright protection.

Yes, just identifying the source is NOT enough to satisfy all copyright protection. But there are many sites, that state that you can copy as long as you identify the source and that is fine.

There really isn't one blanket statement to cover all situations. And as Dave stated, most Newspaper and Magazine articles are safe (unless explicitly stated otherwise)
    Copyright laws can be very confusing once you state to read into them all. Its easy when an article or other piece of published material boldly states
    This information may not be copied
    You can see the more often with published photos. You can not copy the image or even point to the image location. I have seen this once in a while with printed material also. I did a copy/paste and the paste was blank. Checked some more and sure enough, copying was restricted.

It is always better to be on the safe side when you are not sure about what you might copy/paste here. When in doubt let one of us know about it and we can check it out.

I also want to comment on Dave's statement about searching through Spine-Healths Articles. The technical writer staff at Spine-Health is consistently adding new information. Its an on-going process that doesnt stop. I have mentioned this before in other threads, if you are looking for some information and you cant find it at Spine-Health, let us know. We can carry it forward to the owners for review.