Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oxycontin and Insomnia

Denise007DDenise007 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Pain Medications
Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone else is having problems sleeping taking this. I cannot fall asleep at night. I am up until 2:30 3:00 in the morning. Then, when I finally fall asleep I am in a stupor for 6 hours. Nothing can wake me up until after six hours. I have 4 alarms going off and I don't remember turning them off. My husband trys to wake me, but my body cannot get up. I end up going into work really late because of this. It is draining my vacation time and causing me to stay in work until 7:00 at night to make up my time. I use to be in work my 8:30 now somedays not until 10:30 11:00. Any suggestions on what I could do to help me fall asleep earlier would be apprecaited.

I take 20 mg. oxys, 3 times and day and 2 5/325 percs. for breakthough pain a day. I take 2 mg Ativan 2 times a day for anixety. You think with all that I would sleep fine. Even tried taking a swig of Nyquil at night hoping that will work but it doesent.

Also I find myself nodding off in work and feeling like I could lay down and take a nap most afternoons, but soon as I get home I'm wide awake.

• My Dr. recently increased my Oxycontin to 3x a day but if I take the third dose at 1100pm I'm up all night like last night. So trying not to take the third dose. Maybe try not to take one at bedtime or after 6pm if possible? I also take Oxazepam at night to help me sleep similar to ativan. I hope things turn around for you soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • If I take a perc past 4pm I'm up all night. Even after it wears off my mind is WIRED. Is it possible it's the percocets?
  • Thanks for the advice. Frog, I don't think it is the percs, never had a problem sleeping when that was my only medication. I think I will try taking my third oxy earlier like Charry said and see how that works. Usually I take it an hour or so before I go to bed.

And again thanks for the advice!!!!!