Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

starsinhereyessstarsinhereyes Posts: 583
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Chronic Pain
hiya spineys,
Having few emg's done on arms n legs in a.m. my neuro doing this in his office...
I'm wondering how is it? and be honest as i know you will be how is pain...I'm in so much so i'm thinking can't be any worse..
I will get the results also from the ct scan I had done few wks ago..I guess can't be bad or they would have called.(i hope)
He ordered the ct of sacrum(pelvic) area due to I have been in hosptial for pain (off the charts) few wks ago and nothing showing on thoratic or brain mri's.
I can't stand or sit or walk some days my feet go numb first then spreads to left leg and then both..
Yesterday with the help of pain meds I was able to get out but then i kept going and of course paying for it today...
Most days i drag myself out of bed (with saying my prayers of thanks to god I can get up)..just can't today take a baby step without screaming in pain...and i took pain meds..
My neuro does (as i do) think this is alot more than just fibromyalgia which he and a rhuemo say i definetly have..
just seems alot more that a flare up...
I have had alot of flare-ups..
So sorry rambling here (as usual) but I just hate having test done and not really knowing how they are...so i turn to the best experienced ppl i know...
how are the emg's and do your docs think they are a good sorce to find out about nerves....
I have said for yrs I have nerve damaged and not one doc has ordered any test to find out...
thanks all that took time to read my long rambling post...
its a combo of pain pill and my fibro brain
mary aka watergirl
plus this cold chicago weather is for sure alot to do with all my pain...i sure could use to fly south or forget that lisa said florida is cold...so how about hawaii
neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
daily goal do good thing for someone.

• Hello Mary...the only experience I have had with those did hurt a bit. I had them for the Lumbar area, so up and down the legs, before my fusion. Just try to stay as relaxed as possible, easier said then done I know, but it will help with the uncomfortableness ( wow that is a long word...LOL )

Please let us know how it goes and what they find!! I will be saying a prayer for you that it is not too bad on you!!!
  • I had a nerve conduction study and EMG earlier this year on arms/neck. I did not find it to be terribly uncomfortable I didn't have the legs done, but I can't imagine it would be too much worse.
    I hope you will get some answers from this. It was a very helpful diagnostic tool for my doctor.
    Best wishes. I can't imagine the pain could be much compared to what you are already dealing with.
  • thanks polly
    thanks honey
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
  • I have only had EMG's of arms for my neck problems. These I've had several times. Pain is variable I think, sometimes it hurts and sometimes its not so bad. Seems its the way with all spinal procedures...you just never know how its going to affect you. Best wishes and let me know how things go.....

Marianne xxoo

P.S. 8 degrees here this morning..........Hawaii is too far to fly, how about our own private island in the Bahamas or Jamaica with Avis?? hehehehehe
  • Hi Mary,
    I had an emg a few months ago. It wasn't bad at all,for me. The inner calf was a bit much,as he has to get a reading. It was MUCH better than the one I had 20 years ago! I was sooo scared,cause that one was brutal! My new neurologist Said: *there's no need for pain,I stop before that* I gave him an A+,despite the calf. He kept saying sorry!
    Good luck,I hope they get what they need,and that it's as pain free as possible! O:)
  • Howdy Mary,

I've had several NCV/EMGs for both upper and lower extremities and the spine. The NCV is done on the skins surface (part I of the test most times). You can Google the exact definitions of the NCV & EMG if you want the technical definitions. I'm just giving you the basic patient version. :)

The NCV - They put some electrodes on your skin based on the areas they are interested in. Then they use a probe on various areas to test the response of your sensory nerves. It is based over time and distance for the nerves response. Then they use a computer to decipher the results.

The EMG portion is the 'needle' portion. This is where they are testing the nerve responses inside the muscles (muscle function). Sometimes in the rested position, other times they will instruct you to constrict said muscle group. These measure more of the motor response of the nerves. This portion Mary, also can help to differentiate between muscle and nerve disorders.

These tests don't bother me much, but too I use to work as an electrician, and don't have issues with needles. The tests last between and hour to an hour and a half. Please let us know how it goes.

Btw, "me", I only allow the Neurologist to do the needle portion, and not the tech. Just me...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Mary, I've had EMG tests done on my legs and arms, and while it can cause some discomfort, I actually found it was not too bad. The needles going in don't hurt at all, but the electrical charges can cause some pain. The ones in my ankle and upper foot area hurt the most, for some reason, and made me wince quite a bit, but it's over before too long. They zapped me a few times in each area (they measure several different points up and down the arms and legs to test the different nerves - ulnar, tibial, etc.). The rest felt a little uncomfortable, but nothing more. Good luck, and hope you get some useful results!
  • Hi Mary!

[Edit] Years ago... I had nerve conduction and emg tests because I had numbness in my arms, hands and fingers. They were... odd, but not terribly painful as far as I can remember.

I hope you feel as little pain as possible (unless it is a positive thing to feel it, in which case I hope it is only as bad as it needs to be to get you help!)

No need for feeling bad about about long posts (I do it all the time!) and please, feel free to come in and rant all you need to! Most of us have been in either a similar place or one that makes us rant as much, so come on in anytime you feel the need :)

I hope the tests give you a diagnosis your doctors can work with and help you get some relief soon!

We're having a heatwave today... 27!!! (but windchill made it feel like the teens so I didnt go out at all)
    Tonight we get down to about 7! *sigh* warmer would be nicer :) )
  • Mary, how did they go?
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Hope that everything went well with your test and results. Hoping it did not cause you extra pain.
    Take care
    >:D< Karen
    BRRR it is -20 degrees celcius with the wind here :O ( I think that's about -6 F )

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Mary...how was it?? Are you ok???
  • I had both NCV/EMG yesterday, and while the only part that really hurt was when he had me turn onto my back and stuck the needle in my right side of my lower calf muscle on my left leg. I was about ready to punch him. Of course, at almost the end of the procedure, he said he had only been doing this two weeks and I was his 4th patient. now this AM, I woke up unable to move my left leg, due to sciatica? I had urinated in my sleep, for some unknown reason. I had the copvers down like I was trying to get out of bed, I just think with the leg pain, not being able to move my leg, I couldn't get out of bed in time. talk about embarrasing. And I have a fever of 100F. Not sure if it goes hand in hand, but I am little concerned if he damaged a nerve or did something he wans't supposed to do. He did state I had some nerve damage and that he would have a report oon my doctors desk by Monday morning. I have been having extreme middle, lower, and left leg pain for several years now. I am on Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, and valium for muscle spasms. I have been fighting with BCBS for about 8 months for an MRI. I had an ACDF W/Fusion in 2003 C4-C7. I am now having left hand numbness, my arms go totally numb in my sleep, and this AM my left leg is killing me. I sure hope this NCV/EMG helped them determine something for all the side effects I am having from it. Anyone else had any of these effects from the same tests? My doctor took xrays about 2 weeks ago from cervical to sacral region, and came back in room and said, "please take no offense, but you have the "ugliest" back on film I have ever seen". She advised she wasn't even going to try and read it, she would let her radiologist read it, and let me know what they found.

ACDF W/ Fusion 7/03, Herniated Discs (unknown location at this point), Oxycodone 5mg > 6 hrs, Hydrocodone 10/325 > 4-6 hrs as needeed, Valium 5 mg > 1-2 every 4-6 hours as needed. Epidural injection in 2009, no good results.
  • thank you all for your input...
    and yes polly i did have it done and was not fun at all.
    My hubby was there to hold my hand (really he squeezed my hand so tight thought he broke my fingers)
    I had a emg and musle test done...all was going ok till he did my leg..not sure exactly but he said not normal....he did again and as he printed out all results ...he said he wanted me back tues..to go over a plain...he said something about nerve/muscle biopsy and wants to order some labs...
    He seemed concern so of course i'm very worried all wkend..
    He said he want to go over the results more before giving a diagnois and doing anything...
    so i just wait but he did tell the nurse to make me the first patient in the am so i wouldnt have to wait....ha i'm just wait with worry a wk..
    So again my spiney friends how many of you have had a biopsy of both done...and how bad was it? and what exactly are they looking for ?
    I know i should have ask him but i was still in a little bit of shock (yes from the zapping)
    thanks again
  • Thanks for the update. I know nothing about emg tests or anything you're going through but wanted to tell you that I'm thinking of you and wishing you the best on Tuesday.

You've always been very supportive of everyone on these forums and wanted to repay by saying that I'll say a prayer for you that things aren't serious and that there's a solution for your problems. I'm also very glad to hear that your hubby was there to break your fingers. Sometimes it takes a broken limb to get your mind off the other pain, eh? LOL

So, just know I'm thinking about you and I'm also sorry that you have to wait through the weekend. It's the same 'ol waiting game we spineys play. Nothing ever comes quickly enough for us, but we get very good at practicing patience.

• I've never had a muscle or nerve biopsy. Sorry to hear the test was painful for you.
    Will send prayers for you as you go through these tests. O:)
  • thanks for the prayers an thoughts just your kind works help so very much...
    i'm kinda worried when they say biopsy a been reading on what poss.could be looking for...i think i'm worried more from doing research..
    thanks again means so very much...
    your very kind ms.cathy i will surely let ya know when i know whats going on...
    with the holidays upon us i sure dont need anymore bad news.
  • Mary,

I've had several NCV/EMG's, but no biopsy's for the ole nerves yet. Sorry they left you hanging over the weekend. You would have thought they could at least give you *some* idea what they are looking for?

I'll keep you in my thoughts, and send you positive energy woman!!! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Oh Mary I bet you are worried Honey, I am so sorry!! I have never had a biopsy so I cant give you any info on that....But I will be praying for you and waiting with you to find out what your Doc says...Please let us know!!
  • How are you doing today? Have been thinking about you. How did it go at the doctor's today?
    Sending big , gentle, hugs your way
    >:D< >:D< >:D<
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
This discussion has been closed.