Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what's the point???

spinethoracicspinethoracic Posts: 70
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I read some posts now and one thing crossed my mind. Whats the point on having a MRI for thoracic spine. Most of us, around 90%,had this. And to 90% of us accepted that we have to live with this. Maybe 3-4 people here had surgery for thoracic spine. Sn i just dont get it. Doctors words: 1. You will have to do mri. 2. Looked mri and say,we cant do nothing,you must accept this pain and live wit her. Thats not fer! I thing alot people feel like this. Sorry for long text but it so frustratig having live like this. Hallo to everyone! Hoping some new answers will came! :*

• Oh Spine....I wish there was somthing that they could do for ALL of you with t-spine pain!!! I am so very sorry for your pain!!!

I agree with you....why should you have to do an expensive test just to find out...nothing can be done!! Its wrong!!
  • I suppose the Drs need the MRI to "see" what it is that is or might be causing a person their problems. That would not make the MRI useless, but knowing what is going on and how to go about treating whatever it is can go a long way towards recovery.. or at least having answers and helping to make the pt. feel a little better on the way to recovering.
    An MRI is a Dx tool, and some spine problems take time and patience. There are not always easy answers in this era of instant gratification, but sometimes time is what we need the most of, and time can seem to slow down when we are in pain.
  • I was at a backpain lecture given by a Dr and he said that most patients don't need an MRI. He went on to say that the patient expects one and rather than the doctor wasting 20 minutes trying to explain why an MRI isn't needed he justs writes out a script for one. However, I think in chronic pain cases it's necessary.
  • Yea I'm super frustrated with all these tests that show absolutely nothing! Same thing every time, "Oh, the drugs aren't working? Sorry we didn't find anything, you will just have to deal with it" =[
  • Those tests (and your Dr) are looking for something. If you have a Dr that is doing "all these tests that show absolutely nothing", you should be grateful that your Dr. is writing orders for these tests, and continuing to search for whatever it is that is hurting you or causing you to be ill.
    Some people are very bad off and cannot get an order for a test.

It isn't CP if it has only been hurting for a short time. Once it becomes chronic your Dr. will want to know why, and as big as some Drs egos can be, they still can't see through the skin.
  • I've found that at times only months apart can show big differences on MRI's and other tests - of course depending what is going on. I've been given the "You have to live with it, as there isn't enough there to operate" for my thoracic. If my MRI's pretty well are what they are now, I agree.

So far the ones I've gotten is when the doctor (prescribing) is pretty sure something has to be done, be it surgery or shots or meds etc. If I were offered thoracic surgery tomorrow, would I consider it? Nope, I'm not to that stage internally in my body and brain. I'm not near the "gotta do it or else" mode by a long shot. :) Neck and back are getting there again sadly...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Some times the tests find something significant and urgant or the test rule out one thing so the doctor can look in another direction.

I know this is a slow process and can be very frustrating. I am looking at my third fusion. My first two were successful- I just have an extremely bad back. Having been through the whole gamut I can tell you that the Thoracic pain does seem to be worse than the Lumbar and Cervical. It could be because it is "fresh" in my mind- at any rate there are days where I think it would be better if my life would end quickly.

Having chronic pain and complicated spinal issues is very expensive financially and very expensive emotionally. I used to be a bubbly happy almost hyper person. Keeping the humor in your life and having a good support system is the most important thing you can do for your self. This includes having good doctors that go the extra mile for you and you doing your home work and advocating for yourself. If you think a test is a waste of money- discuss it with your doctor or find a new doctor.

Also some insurance companies insist that the doctors run some tests/or use a treatment that the doctors might not want to run to "prove" that you need surgery.

Try to be patient and stay positive- this is a journey.

• thank you all for support. Wishing you all the best!!!
  • 8 december? And what did doctor say?
  • Sorry- I was confused. I actually had a PM appt on the 8th. NS appt on the 13th. I was called in early yesterday only to be sent home. My NS was on call and had an emergency surgery come in. I am rescheduled for Jan 6th. He is off until then. At least I can enjoy the Holidays and not stress out :)

I hope you are feeling better :)

• I think there is a point...sometimes. A diagnostic test just tells the doctor if there is something wrong. It can show something or it can rule out something that is suspected. Not all answers are YES.

As far as thoracic MRIs it can rule out mechanical problems. Maybe the real problem is metabolic or coming from another part of the spine that can be treated. If you don't do the MRI you may assume that it is a thoracic herniation when it isn't. Plus sometimes the MRI shows something that has to be operated on to preserve the spinal cord.

But of course sometimes the doctor is ruled by what the insurance companies want. If he knows that they may cut you off for non-treatment he will order tests or therapies. It's a really twisted part of our medical system.

I know how you feel. I just went through four MRIs to rule out other causes. Kinda depressing.
  • Hi friends,

I am scheduled for an MRI on Monday Dec, 20th for an MRI of the T spine. I had one last year and the doc's did not seem to care I had two herniated disc's in the T spine which was T6 T7. The pain has gotten worse and has moved further down my T spine. So I am wondering if this is a waste of time because they are just going to tell me the same thing I always hear sorry can not help you.

Learning to live with cervical and T spine and Lumbar spine pain is so hard to handle I do not care how long you have had it,because it just gets worse. praying that there is hope some where in the midst of all of this.

I have had these problems since my early 20's and I am now 43.

Thanks all
  • Hisbeauty that's a good question. It's nice to know what is going on but there is always the question of whether you would have that surgery. For me there are only two reasons to do surgery..

1-if not doing surgery will cause a dangerous and permanent change. for example a collapse in the spine or a nerve that is about to be severed. or worst case spine damage.

2-if the pain is impossible to live with. meaning that nothing can control it and you are not able to have any quality of life.

When I had my T1/2 surgery I was given the impression by the surgeon that this would remove the pain that I was feeling. It did for three months but the surgery has caused far worse problems. Like in any surgery you have to understand that there can be complications that may make you worse or even kill you.

So does it make sense to have another MRI?? If it will give you some piece of mind then sure. But if things are the same and you wouldn't do the surgery then I'm not sure I see the point. That's just my opinion.