Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why do people always go "Well have you tried therapy/acupuncture?"

ButterflyPainBButterflyPain Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Obviously like most of us spiney's have tried physical therapy, meds, and some surgery to get relief.

I have tried physical therapy, and it helps somewhat while I'm going to it, but after all the muscles go back to being tight etc.

I am currently in college and have to let my professors know about my condition, and have struggled immensely this semester.

So far I've had two professors (while I'm sure they were trying to be helpful), be like "Haven't you tried physical therapy?" "You should go all natural herbal way" or "Maybe acupuncture will help take it away," which was the latest one.

I haven't tried acupuncture, and maybe it would help, but I doubt it would take it away...If it did none of us would still be in pain.

My gripe is "How do I explain it to them?" ... I mean both have had some sort of accident, knee surgery, or rotator cuff problem from a car accident , that they took care of I suppose in the advice that they have given me. And I don't want to discard people trying to be helpful, but I think our stuff is a bit more complicated than that.

Well at least mine is. IDK ...Just needed to vent this, cause it's like er "You don't think I've tried Physical therapy before/ anything to get rid of the pain?"

• People, esp. men (lol-it's in their nature to *fix* things) are just trying to be helpful.

Write up a paper on CP, or look one up--there are many, if you are adamant about explaining your situation.
    That's great that PT helps you (even during).. it hurts me during the actual PT, and I always beg and try all kinds of..diversion (lol) to get out of it at any costs. I get much better relief with hot water right here at home.

Seriously, I understand you wanting to explain your CP, but the truth is,I just don't think that people can really understand it until they live it. Have you read the Spoon Theory by Christine Miserandino butyoudontlooksick.com ?
  • I know what you mean. I have been to so many PT sessions - mostly a waste of time and money. It's different if you had recent surgery, accident, etc.

For me, I felt good for 1-2 days, then the pain returns. So its a never ending cycle (income for the PT). Did you notice when the order says "..2 - 3 times a week..." they always want to see you 3 times !

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Pain is a very interesting topic. Most of the time people can see when another person is in acute
    pain. They could be on crutches, in a cast, have an eye patch, black and blue all over, etc

I think many people when they see someone like that would just offer to Take it easy

Chronic pain (pain lasting at least 6 months) is so different. Generally you can't see it in a person, unless they require physical assistance such as a wheelchair. So, when you talk to someone many times being that they dont fully understand come up with various remedies. Yesterday at Physical Therapy, there was an older women having back pain. I was talking to her about it for a while. A gentleman next to us told her to rub Sesame Oil on her back and then put heat. And that in 18 hours all her pain would be gone! I do believe people like that mean well.

Over the years I have just listened to what people have suggested and take it for what its worth. The last thing I want is for anyone to so me pity or feel sorry for me. I dont talk to people about my problems (unless the person is going through something similar). Talking with others is one of the best means of support while dealing with chronic pains.

Physical Therapy, Acupuncture, Chiropractor, DRX9000, and other treatments have never been designed to cure everyone. Each situation is unique and with good physicians, therapists and technicians, the correct treatment plan would be put in place for you. Whats good for me, might not be any good for you or the next person.

I've been in Physical therapy on/off for 30 years now and I have had good success and I have had no progress. Acupuncture has helped me with some problems and did nothing in other avenues.

Nothing should be considered a waste of time or money. If there was one cure all for everyone, then that would be the one to go to. But, since that doesnt exist, various treatments need to be tried.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com