Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Introduction and Information On what may Help your back PAIN NOW.

speedycatsspeedycat Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello.....I joined yesterday and posted a few things because I was concerned for a Poster. Now I saw where it said 'introduce yourself'. Let me introduce myself.....

I am in my 50's. I noticed my spine hurting more and more as I hit 50. I worked physically Hard most of my life. Too hard.

My back felt very stiff, and more and more painful. Then I was cleaning out the bathtub to take a bath and rest. The bending and twisting to clean the tub did it. The straw that broke the camels back. A disc Herniated. Pain off the charts I almost threw up. (That is a sign that it herniated, also.) anyway couldn't move, felt like it was broken for 10 days. Went to Doctor (s), as I have insurance, MRI showed herniated disc at T10-11. Also showed bulging lumber and Thorasic Spinal Stenosis.

Herniated thorasic disc caused the major pain. I would like to share the definition of Bulging / Herniated / Ruptured. The way I understand them:

The Disc is like a donut with jelly inside in the middle.
Bulging is where the Donut loses it's shape and spreads out
from the center. The vertabra can press on it and it is painful. Can be very painful.

Herniated is when the donut part gets weak and porous and Some of the jelly goes thru the donut and outside the donut wall.
Hurts MORE. and is a worse condition. It can happen with age. Or trauma.

Ruptures is when ALL of the jelly leaks out and the disc loses it's shape, and it's bone on bone. That is when you will get a fusion.

My pain was 10+ in '07 for 10 days. No pain pill touched the pain, I pretty much laid on ice, and on my back and it went away.

Until Yesterday. I did way too much heavy lifting, moving out of a house, and the next morning I sneezed and IT WENT OUT. okay.....

What I've learned thru all of this, is that ASK QUESTIONS when you get a diagnosis. because my first doctor only said when he read the MRI was 'you have a herniated disc' and you are not a candidate for surgery (he was a surgeon) if the pain comes back let me know and we will manage the pain, and he meant an epidural / cortisone / which is commonly done, and the odds are not that great that it will help and if it does it is definitely temporary. What they do is bring down INFLAMMATION. INFLAMMATION. keyword.
Yes I KNOW the pain. you will 'let' them do anything.

Pain pills do not touch the pain. IT IS NERVE PAIN. big difference. NOW I FOUND THIS OUT accidentally. And it again is a temporary solution because of side effects and cost, and you want to fix the problem not mask it.

I don't sell the stuff, I just asked for it for depression: CYMBALTA. and at 15mg. you typically get at least 30mg. point is THE PAIN IS GONE. So it works for me and others because I have read it. Now, you still need to fix the problems:

what you do depends on how you got the condition, like thru trauma or gradually thru stress etc.

I have great doctors, most of them, and great insurance, at least so far. and but that is going to end someday. Now I went to the Vitamin Health Food store. Here is what I learned thru them and my Physical Therapist.

To Help the 'jelly' in the disc : PROTEIN.
To Help the disc- ie the donut : Glucosamine (&condriotin) Costco has an excellent deal on that and the right dosage.
The doctor and the P.Therapist said FISH OIL. it is an anti inflammatory and keeps things moving. VERY IMPORTANT.

For Pain, and I am trying this now I got natural anti inflammatory concoction, wasn't cheap but way cheaper than Cymbalta. It has curcumin in it. It is called Curamin.
I will let you all know as time goes on. about it.
That may take time. Like I said it is all about inflammation, inflammation is BAD. that it why icing is So important. Immediate Ice when you hurt your back. Inflammation causes all kinds of problems, IF you ice you CAN AVOID SURGERY. It is true. I sound passionate because I am and I am going thru this NOW. They WANT to do surgery and epidurals because both are BIG $$$. It's true some need surgery, but not most.

GET MORE THAN ONE OPINION. FOR SURE. If it's ruptured you basically need surgery.

I am trying to boost my system and take it easy so that I NEVER NEED SURGERY ON MY BACK AND NERVOUS SYSTEM.

So CYMBALTA FOR NERVE PAIN in an emergency. tell em it's for depression if nothing else works.

I am not a doctor, but I've been around, I study, and experience these things to work, like the Cymbalta and the Ice Immediately.

Hope this helps. This pain is Serious. I know.
Also helps to Relax and not take on the weight of This World on Our Shoulders / Backs. I need to learn that.

Good Luck &
Seasons Greetings

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. i can't clean the bathtub anymore at all either.. it really does a number on my back!! i am sorry you hurt yourself that way!! thank you for the good info... you will find lots of it here on site as well. stop by anytime and make yourself at home.. good luck! Jenny :)