Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Burning, searing pain/spasms in feet

NumbskullNNumbskull Posts: 1,526
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Chronic Pain
Was just wondering, as it is happening right now, does anyone else get this? When I'm laying down with my knees up, after a few minutes I get "hot-spots" on my feet, then it turns to this excruciating, burning pain, then subsides in a few minutes once I straighten my legs and take the pressure off my feet. I also get it while walking, I guess anytime there's any sort of pressure on my feet. I've never had it before all this. I also get wicked spasms in my feet when I'm walking sometimes. And because I can't walk too far, it comes on pretty quickly when it does happen.
Does anyone else have this happen? Is it some sort of neuropathy?
APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own

• I have this same problem at night! The burning/searing pain, in spots, will wake me up at night. One spot, about the size of a med, sized ball is on my heel and another is behind my toes.

I have to get up and walk around and take a pain pill so it will stop. I use to get spasams in my feet but I now take Skalaxin and that has stopprd all spasams!

I have noticed that the spot on my heel is a bright red color when it is burning. And yes I have neuropathy in both my feet and legs. I have just assumed it is related to the Neuropathy.

This burning lasts about an hour. I did speak to my GP about this at my last visit and he just shrugged his shoulders. No help rhere.

Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • I get this, too. And, like Patsy, when I have asked my PM doctor and my PT team about this... they really don't give me an answer. They generally will start asking me about my nerve pain in my legs, lower lumbar and tailbone areas.

Whenever I wake up and find myself with my knees bent and my feet flat on the bed, both of my heels are burning hot and sometimes feel numb. I will do the same as you... straighten my legs out and then reach for my Neurontin bottle.

Mike experimented on me with applying Lidoderm patches to the front side of both knees and wrapping my knees with ace bandages at night. I don't know why, but somehow, this really helps prevent the burning heels and nerve pain along the sides of my feet. I sometimes forget to do this and just last night... I woke up with the burning heels and really sharp nerve pain around the outside of my left heel.

Sometimes I can't wear the ace bandages around my knees, as the backside of my knees will be "weirded-out" with nerve pain and it bugs me if anything touches the back part of my knees. But, I can always wear the Lidoderm patches which deliver a lot of comfort. I have never had an urge to take them off and wish I could wear them 24/7.

I'll write this question down again and see if I can get any good input from my PM doctor on my next visit.

Wish I had something else to offer as a means of relief, but this is the only thing I have found so far that seems to help.

Maybe we'll get some really good replies or input on this topic!

Take care "sista"... (lol),

Tammy :D
  • Thanks guys - I mean ladies!!! hehe can you tell I've been around men for too long ;) I'm going to have to relearn all my proper lady etiquette, especially when speaking with you "southern belles"!

I forgot to ask my doc about it this morning, but then again, I'm usually behind one appointment for questions, I just asked all of them today that I forgot to last appointment!! But, good news, getting new x-rays, MRI and referral to my neurosurgeon!
  • What area(s) are they going to X-ray and do an MRI on?

I am glad you will be seeing your Neurosurgeon. Very good news!

I forgot to ask... when your feet (or knees) have that "searing" pain... when you touch the area that is "searing", does it ever feel like sharp glass inside those areas? Sometimes I try to massage the "searing" pain out... but it's too painful, due to the sharp... broken glass feeling. And it's not in the area where my osteophytes are at on my knees.

Just was wondering?

• I'm getting xrays for my neck and knee and MRI just for my neck (I haven't had one since before my surgery 2 years ago).

It is painful to touch my heels when they're burning like that! A sharp pain. thankfully it doesn't last too long, just for a few minutes, like 5-10 or so.
  • Oh Kelly you have been on my mind. I am very glad that they are doing the new imaging for you, its past due!!

Sorry for the new and painful symptoms.....thats just what you needed isnt it??LOL.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!!!
  • Thanks so much Polly!! I hope that you are doing okay!!
  • One thing I forgot to mention Kelly. When my foot burns like that it is always a bit swollen and at times my whole foot is red instead of the burning spot.

I too, have tried rubbing the spot but it's painful and it does not help any. But it's painful to touch my feet anyway.

I go in for a increase in my pump meds the 14th and will ask the nurse if she has any idea what is causing it. This wakes me 2 or 3 times a week!

Patsy W
  • Wow Patsy, I'm so glad that mine isn't as bad as yours! I remember you always talking about your severe pain in your feet, I'm only getting a taste of it. I don't know how you made it through to getting your pain pump! I'm so glad that it has worked out for you, and the increase helps even more, especially for the holidays! Is your sister coming to visit you for christmas? I've never actually looked at my feet when it's happened, but I will next time, which I'm sure will be pretty soon, lol. I can feel it coming on now. The other good news (I guess anyways, if you can call it that) is that they gave me a cane to use, it will help with the foot cramps, my knee giving out and my opposite leg giving out. We have to be extra careful now that the snow and ice is upon us!! I think I'm going to decorate mine, like Aviatrix does hers, make it into a giant candy cane with a big bow on it, LOL
  • Hey Kelly...can I PM you with some questions??:)
  • Sorry you are feeling so crappy Kelly (and everyone else) Jeez, it never ends does it - always something new to experience with this BS. I love the cane idea, that's cute. I didn't know Brenda did that, very cute for the holidays!
  • Howdy Kelly,

So glad you've gotten the referrals and the x-rays and MRI's. :) My feet don't burn, but they cramp! I have neuropathy in my legs, but as far as I know, it doesn't extend to my feet. Maybe? Mine behave better when elevated.

Have you found yours is positional? I would experiment a bit, and see if it is. Then you can pin point what or when it comes on. Once that is figured out, you can be more direct with that info for your doctor to figure it out. Please let us know if you or they figure it out. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Howdy Marion,

Yeah, you have to keep a sense of humor! Since my cane (and now Kelly is there) is my '3rd leg', gotta dress it up too! :) Makes for great conversations vs the "Oh dear, did you hurt your foot dear?" Ack!!!

I love Kelly's candy cane idea...just love it Kelly!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I love the cain idea Kelly! I have to use one of those ugly quad cains or I would fall over...sigh.
    Not much you can do to make them pretty.

My balance sucks but my GP says it's the meds I am on but if that were true everyone on pain meds would have the same problem wouldnt they?

Decorate that cain my friend!! Go for it!!

Patsy W

• Patsy, how about turning your cane into a giraffe?
  • I love that Jelly!!!
  • I love that too Jelly......but I think I need to turn it into a "magic carpet" so I can just float along instead of stumbling along like I do.

Kelly...I awoke this morning with the inside of my right heel in flames! No redness this time just a scalding sensation. I sure wish I knew what is causing this!

A severe winter storm is moving in and I am to get my "tank" refilled Tuesday!! I do hope the weather does not prevent me from making the 50 mile trip to the hospital!
    Patsy W
  • The storm moving in! I know I'm the best weatherologist I know!! Be safe, hope you have a big twuck to take Patsy!
This discussion has been closed.