Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdiscectomy at L5 - S1

RayaRayaFiyaRRayaRayaFiya Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm hoping someone here might have some experience with this...

On 11/22/10 (18 days ago as I write this) I had a microdiscectomy of my L5-S1 disc. I'd been suffering from sciatic pain extending down my left leg which made sitting and walking very painful. Towards the end it wasn't controllable with any amount of painkillers that they were willing to give me. When I went into the ER a day before my surgery they gave me a morphine shot that barely took the edge off and insisted that there was nothing else they could do for me.

For two glorious days after the surgery almost all of my original pain was gone, only the incision site itself was pretty sore. Day 3 rolled around and the pain in my left buttock was starting to come back. It's back even more now, extending into my thigh (though not past my knee, it was prior to the surgery). The pain isn't as bad yet, and it's pretty controllable with the medication I've been given and I'm not even on full doses. But I'm worried that I'm not noting any improvement in my condition at all as time passes.

Was the initial 2 days of bliss a good sign or bad? Do I just need to give this more time? So far that's what my doctor is telling me. I'm scheduled for an MRI this week so hopefully we'll be able to see if I've reherniated.

• I had the same thing as you in June. I am feeling the same that I did before the surgery. My back pain is bad, the legs, those are a killer.
    I hope that this is just healing time for you.
  • Generally during surgery, the patient receives a good dosing of steroids to combat the inflammation of surgery. The tugging and moving that usually occurs during surgery can irritate and inflame. Most of us experience a nice period of relief for a few days post op before the irritation shows back up.

If you have concerns though, a simple call to your surgeon's office might do wonders for helping clear things up.

Welcome to Spine Health.