Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ct scan not good bummer

ron prron p Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well 18 months after surgery bottom level did not heal or fuse. I wore a bone growth stimulator for 6 months it did not help Dr wants to do another surgery change hardware & another bone graph what a bummer.

• I'm sorry that you have to go through all that again. Hubby is five and a half months post-op and I am wondering if there are some signs or symptoms that the fusion is not happening. He can do almost anything he wants to do now but is there some indications that the fusion is not happening?
  • I am so sorry that you received this news from your CT scan. You are in my thoughts and will be wishing for good news and pain relief for you.Please keep us updated.
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Dude, that sucks. As if surgery wasn't bad enough the first time around, now ya get to do it again. I just got the same diagnosis a few weeks ago..bottom level didn't fuse.

If you don't mind a few questions..are you a higher risk pt for non fusions? i.e., obese, smoker or health complications? What surgery did you have? I had an L5-S1 PLIF. Did they use autograft or allograft bone for your original graft?

I'm wondering why I didn't fuse. You probably are too. I did everything right (I think). Hey, sorry you got the bad news, but at least now ya know eh?

Much aloha,
  • No health problems dont smoke the Dr. just said that it just did not heal L3-L4-L5-S1 fusion with all screws and cages and they used my bone
  • beaver tell your hubby take it easy dont over do it but thats what I did the dr did not want me to do anything as for as for signs it is hard to say there was nothing to tell me except that pain is there. my legs and feet are like they are asleep all the time from nerv damage. Hope all goes well for him Take care and good luck

• I'm very sorry about your news. When does your surgeon want you to return to surgery? Do you have osteoporosis? Did they use BMP with your own bone? Have you had any other opinion other than your original surgeon?

I have delayed fusion and have been wearing a bone stimulator for 5+ months. Found out at 6 months that there was little fusion, and also had a bone density scan around the same time that found me to be osteopenic. I've been on supplements to grow bone also.

Wish you the best of luck with these issues.

• So sorry you are going to have to go through all that again! I'm most likely facing that in my neck. I sucks big time. Please keep us posted on what they decide. Gentle *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Ron, I am very sorry to hear this, I just pray my ACDF fushion works, but my neck has had a great deal worse pain in the last several weeks. Not sure what has changed, but I to would not be at all surprised if I have a do over coming in that area.

Just wanted to say keep the faith, try to manage your pain, and take it a day at a time. I will keep you in my prayers and just pray for the best for you.

Take care and God Bless,

AL S