Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

help please

donnaddonna Posts: 40
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hello everyone. I have been around for a while and am ready to share my problems.
cord compression-broad annular bulge-endplate ridge with bilateral foraminal stenosis c6-7.

moderate cord deformity and compression-broad annular bulge-endplate ridge c5-6.

mild effacement on anterior surface of cord at c4-5 on right of the midline and c3-4 on the left of the midline without significant cord deformity due to focal annular bulge.

signs of degendrative disc dease c5-6 c6-7 with mild spondylosis.

there is more in the neck but I dont have it in writing, also I have several problems in L3 4 5.
my neuro wants to operate but I forgot exactly what he said he wants to do. I was in total shock!!!!!! I am the bigest chicken in the world!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been putting off this surgery for months and it seems like my symptoms are getting a little better. I can stay up for a few hours a day now. I really dont know to what to say except I am scared as hell and you are all sooooooo brave.

Brenda you sound like you have been through it all and have such a good attitude you are strong people here.
Thanks for listening.

• HI Donna :wave:

Brave? who you talking to? lol ;) Most of us are scared 99% of the time. Fears and worries are a part of this package we deal with every day now.

Hang on - post a lot, share your fears, concerns, questions etc. and we will help you tough it out :D

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I have read your posts and really feel for your situation. I have a feeling you are a much stronger lady than you think right now.
  • Howdy Donna,

Am I the Brenda you're referring too? As you know, we can't give diagnosis, but from what you've posted, I am going to guess he is offering you surgery for the C5/6 C6/7 levels?

My first level to go was my C5/6. Like you, I was scared witless! I wasn't too keen on any sharp object anywhere near my spine! At the time, I didn't know about these sites, so hunted all over the net for what ACDF meant, how they do it, the risks, recovery etc. Yes my surgeon told me all of that, but my ears where closed once "surgery" came out of his mouth.

Do a search for ORLive - it is actual surgeries at various hospitals. If you aren't squeamish, it will show you what they do - but the video is for one level. On here you can do a search for ACDF and they have the animated version of what to expect. I know with my surgeon, I left with a prescription for what surgery I was going to have, that way I could get a pre-surgical medical and clearance, and on it it stated what surgery was going to be done.

Please feel free to ask any questions, and I will try to answer. Or if you are more comfortable, you can also PM me. *HUGZ*

Oh, hehe.. haven't been through it all, but just have a crappy neck! Back is catching up! (G)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yes I was speaking of you. Thank you for responding.
    I read your history and am amazed at all that you have been through. I did blank out when ns said surgery. I go back on the 23rd to go over nerve test results and recap what he said last time. He did the nerve test because my right side is heavy and I lose feeling in hand and upper arm. I dont think he gave me a diagnosis but more like a list of things wrong.I know you were in a helicopter accident and have a reason for your injuries, I have no explanation for mine. I dont understand how I could have these problems. Have you ever heard of that? Can you feel the metal in your body? How long did it take for you to heal from first surgery? Did it work, if so for how long? running out of room oohhh
  • Lol! Thanks very much. :) As to my first surgery. I finally agreed to it due to my pain levels and day to day effects, and too the big one, per my NS, should I have even a minor car accident or even fall wrong I could become paralyzed. When I awoke in the recovery room and discovered *ALL* the pain, numbness and weakness was gone, I literally started bawling like a nut case! The recovery nurse came flying over asking if I needed medication to manage that pain! (me) "No ma'am, these aren't pain tears, these are HAPPY tears! Look no pain." (me wiggling around) She asked me to stop wiggling as I just came out of spine surgery. Rofla!!

I healed really well from that surgery, and feel it was 100%. I almost forgot I had surgery, yes, that good! Then in the month following my one year out... yawned and poof, out when C6/7. As you've probably read, that isn't going so well.

Now as to why or how this happens. So many things can play in that game. Genes, a car accident years ago, a fall, maybe a really rough amusement park ride, age. Hard to tell or answer that one Donna. Sometimes we'll never know, others we have obvious trauma that either at the time the disks or bones fail, or it cascades later in life.

Not all have continuing problems either. Some (and you don't see a lot here...they get better and move on with their lives as they no longer need support) have a fusion and never have problems again, or if they do, they are minor. We are all different. I lived a very active and engaged life and career, and this is the payback for it. I wouldn't go nuts trying to figure this part of it out!

As to the metal. I answered that in your other thread. :) Please keep us posted, and of course any more questions, we're here to help if we can! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.