Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

exercising with chronic leg pain?

aces67aaces67 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
I've been dealing with chronic severe leg pain for 6 years now. I've finally been diagnosed with a pinched nerve at the L5 level.

I'm also overweight and my doctor is riding me about exercising daily but how?

How do you exercise when your leg is killing you?

I see my family doc next week to discuss trying Lyrica. I had an epidural injection 9 days ago. It worked until yesterday:( Yesterday the pain started coming back again:(

• I found that exercise is one of the best ways to help battle leg pain. It helps me kick in the natural endorphin release and for about an hour I get some of the best pain relief of any. It is always hard to restart exercising after a period of inactivity, but after a few days, I start to really crave the exercise and natural pain relief. My husband and I have built our own fitness center in our garage with a good treadmill, upright exercise bike and squat rack. We put a TV on the wall to provide a distraction and it allows us to spend time whenever we have time, to exercise.

• so sorry aces. i've had too many years of adjusting to new pain levels. i'm always looking for a new exercises i can do without those terrible needle aching blasts. its a constant battle to find a move you can do. but no matter what you do its a challenge. now the only real continuous exercise i get is laying on my back on the floor and doing bicycle moves. hope you find a comfortable exercise.
  • EDIT - Also - I started this - at 5 minute intervals, a couple times a day. Then slowly kept working it up. Such as- two weeks of that, and then 10 min, after 4 weeks, 20 min. Each step was reasonable, based on what I experienced previously.

I must admit that I exercise. Probably more than my physio, would tell me, or have me doing, if he were present. I use a recumbent bike, and set the pedals- so my hips do not rock back and forth. I just want leg movement. I have found a happy setting

I have severe stenosis at L3-L4-L5, and higher levels as well. Caused sciatica for many years.

I will not tell you that it is not without great resolve on my part. I have to work through about 10 to 20 minutes of severe nausea. The pain levels start to climb and my body starts to rebel quite literally. I have found, by doing this for a lot of years, that there is a tipping point, where the pain flashes by, and drops, once I break-through it - it is kind of like popping the sound-barrier. I gain some peace, and some significant pain decrease. It does increase the natural endorphins and seems to keep me comfortable for most of the rest of the day.

I find I can only do this, at the end of a day, I have a real time getting going in the morning, but that is funny to say, when on a day like today, I am up at 0540am, getting ready to go to work.

Yes - I hurt - but I also keep going.
    Never give up, ever!

• I will try to provide as especially chronic and severe pain in the legs. Most of these were collected by doing a part-time research in these areas of pain. I will also try to give some of my personal opinions and reflections on the process of getting rid of leg pain, is based on interactions I had with doctors and other patients I met during I visited with my mother, and based on observations of the processes and methods that physicians have been made during the various stages of treatment.
This discussion has been closed.