Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

collapsed bone after ACDF surgery

itzamemomiitzamemom Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all,

I had my 2nd ACDF surgery 3 September 2010 @ my C5-6. I went to see my surgeon for my 3 month post op appointment today and of course had my x rays done. I wasn't too worried, as I expect to be in some pain and was suprised when my doc told me it lookd like the bone at my C6 had collapsed a bit. He told me he doesn't see this occuring in patients as young as me, I'm only 44. He didn't seem too concerned and suggested a CT scan when I go back to see him in 3 more months. I have to admit, the news does not sit very well with me.
I'd like to know if anyone has experienced this and/or knows anything about it, please help.

• Hello Lisa, I am sorry to say that I dont have any info for you as I am just starting my cervical journey but I wanted to ask you how are you feeling since your surgery?? I hope great!! I am very sorry to hear that your Dr told you that....you would not think that he would tell you that then just tell you to come back later....I am very sorry honey!!
  • very much for your kind response.
    Since the surgery, the numbness, pain and tingling have gone from my left arm and shoulder. However, I do still have pain in my neck and down my shoulder blade. One thing that's very important for you to remember as you embark on this journey, is that everyone is different, and just because I'm still experiencing pain, does not mean you will too.
    Are you having surgery done and if so where?
  • Howdy Lisa!!

About 5 months after my last fusion, I started right back up with the pre-surgical pains and some of the numbness and much of the weakness. They did x-rays and there is a cracked C6 vertebra right between the fusion hardwares. My surgeon wasn't too excited over it, but conversely my GP and ENT were rather interested in it. My ENT confirmed movement where there shouldn't be any. My NS pooh-poohed the x-ray and said it would heal on its own. Well here I am a year post to that, and my voice is still crap, symptoms are still there.

I have decided to go back to my Neurologist, find out what is going on at this stage, and then get a new surgeon if necessary. My hubby and I both feel that the different stress actions of the different hardware (I have a plate and a wing thing) caused the fracture of the C6... What they do? I was advised a revision is likely if things don't change soon. I hope yours self corrects. *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Sorry to hear you're still having troubles.
    I'm attempting to not be too worried about this, but its difficult, as I'm sure you know all too well.
    I say enough is enough, haha.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I had surgery in March to correct collapsed disc c4,5,and 6 from a surgery 8 months earlier. My neck was very unstable and the surgery was to stabilize my spine. My pain was not worse as they collapsed. I actually was sitting at my desk at work and felt my disc shift in my neck. Talk about scare the crap out of me. I went straight to the hospital. They kept telling me I needed heart test done that this was a sign of heart trouble. After talking with my surgeon they decided to check my neck with a x-ray. They sent me straight to my surgeon (whos office is in the hospital )and surgery was scheduled.
  • I just wanted to mention on this post that according to my surgeon, after ACDF surgery, pain at the base of the neck and muscle spasms/pain in the left, middle or right top back area is very common.

I had these pains and when I went to my surgeon for my 3-month post-op checkup, I mentioned it and he actually ran his finger along my neck and back area where reoccuring pain could be. Thus, if I felt pain there, not to worry about it and if it didn't go away after a few more months, it would be addressed then. Mine did go away after a couple more months.

Just so ya know...
  • Thanks. Hopefully you will find all will be good. It just makes ya wonder...will it ever end? Support *HUGZ* to ya Lisa!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I sure hope you're doing a lot better now.
    As I said my surgeon didn't seem to be overly concerned, however, I sure am. I couldn't imaging feeling it like you did, I had no idea. As far as I was concerned my neck was doing just fine, guess the jokes on me.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,378
    Yeppers .... happened to me after my first ACDF. According to my ortho surgeron who "redid" the work done by my Neurosurgeon about 1.5 years prior ... My cadaver implant had actually "impacted" down into the vertabrae it was intended to maintain space for. ie ... the vertabrea "collapsed" and was impacted by the implant .... this is all starting to sound very Carl Sagan .... I hope no "black" or "worm" holes are in my necks future!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)