Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

feeling better until......

booksbbooks Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I've had a 2 level ADCF about 2 weeks ago. I'm wearing a Miami J collar 24/7...and was just about off all meds and sleeping in my bed ...until last night. For some reason I woke up this morning in a great deal of pain. I hurt so bad, the first thing I did is grab the pills, and have been on them all day to relieve the pain.

Ye experts on this board, do you think I just slept wrong? Should I be concerned? Did I shift any of hardware? I'm getting as many aches and pains as I did before I had the surgery....any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

• Books,

Welcome to Spine Health!! 2 weeks out is very, very, very early in your recovery Books! I doubt that you did anything to your hardware as it is pretty sturdy. Of course, if in doubt check it out with your surgeon.

Most of us who have had fusions have good and bad days after the recent surgery. Your whole spine has been changed by the fusions, and as such too the dynamics on how your body is going to react, not to mention it is still healing from the trauma of surgery! One of the keys is make sure your not trying to do too many "normal" things on your good days, as you might be apt to overdue and pay for it for days after. Many of us have these bad days (spasms and such) for months, and I mean months after fusion surgery.

I hope you are feeling better tonight. Maybe try resting in a recliner and see if that helps as the load on your neck is lessoned. Remember, if in doubt ring up your surgeon. Take care. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. What medications are you using for pain? Any muscle relaxers? Is it nerve pain you are experiencing? If so, your surgeon may put you on nerve pain medication to help. I was on Lyrica for 3 months after my fusion and it helped me a great deal.

Keep us posted.

Best wishes,

• Aviatrix, thanks so much for the re-assurance. I thought for sure I 'twisted' something. I was wondering how you can 'sleep wrong' with a neck brace keeping your neck in a fixed position. I do have muscle relaxers and pain meds which I take as I need...and this past week, it was less and less, until today. I have noticed, before the surgery, that if I did something more than normal, it would hurt for a day or two later...obviously that pattern stays with us spineys even after surgery. I've not had my first post op visit, but one question I will ask is, how long will the spasms last...and according to you it will be a while! :( Its the spasms that drive me crazy.

Thanks again for your help...at least now I know not to panic!
  • You're very Welcome Books. Even with a brace, your spine has been changed. You might see after the brace comes off that you have a few bad days as the muscles start readjusting to "no brace". Yeah, never ending cycle huh?

Can you sleep wrong in a brace, yeppers, you Betcha! It's all connected. It could be a change of posture, what you did that day, your emotions, your medications etc. Lots can cause it. Some of us (mainly women) have hot flashes for weeks after surgery due to the affects on our hormones! The body is a wonderful but very complex machine!

If you search on here (there is a box at the top of the web page), for Cervical spine spasms or something similar, you should be able to find other member threads that show they can and do last for months...hopefully decreasing of course as time goes on. Hope you are feeling better tonight! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.