Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

venting, skull pain

flowerfflower Posts: 460
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
its been 5 days now, and it wont go away

its cerviogenic headache coming from C1-2 C2-3

it usuaslly goes up my skull from base of head , over top of head to down forehead to eyes

but i also get it in the back of my skull, which is what i have now, its nerve pain , but feels like bone and it hurts bad and im sick of it

im not new to this pain , but enough is enough when it goes on and on and on
im icing it now , think ill keep the ice on it till i freeze my head off
NS still hasnt called me back , yes he is very busy, i no.
im gonna have to set up a new appoitment and that will takes months to get

meanwhile the osteophtyes are impinging on my cord

i have severe issues in cervical and all levels affected from C1-T1
ohh what they gonna do , a 7 level fusion , i dont think so!

ok , i think my vent is over

• ive tried distraction techniqies, not working, and ant-inflammortories
    oh and has anyone had an injection for this area C1-3
    in thier drs office without CT guided imagiary

• Howdy Flower. *HUGZ*

I'm only one level off... My C1/2 is good as far as I know, serious "osteophyte complex at C2/3 causing my disk to bulge out 9mm (last MRI), and gives me dozy headaches! Err.. I think my C3/4 is the only good level?

For me I have Imitrex, but to be fair, I've now got an adjustable TempurPedic, and sleep in an inclined position on my back. The headaches have come down tons from what they were.

My osteophytes by the way are narrowing the exit foremen, so it is stenosis vs on the cord. I am really sorry that they aren't getting back to you - that stinks big time! I so hope you find some relief. Just wanted to pop in and let you know that there are some of us "close" on issues, but supportive to what you are going through. Big *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Getting ready for bed, but if you want to chat... let me know. I will go into chat for a few minutes to see if you appear. :)

• thanks for the support
    and big hugs
    i have the stenosis severe too and narrowing of all cervical discs

what is this med Imitrex that your on?
    thanks avi
    hugs back at ya
  • Howdy Ms. Flower!!!

Yes, I was given Imitrex (at my request) via my GP. I've only used it twice so far, but so good. She allows me to take it daily, but as we've discussed, if I don't need it 'said day' then that is fine. A lot of times I can catch my headaches with Aspirin, but if I goof, Imitrex. :)

My stenosis is the C2/3, and it is thanks to osteophytes as of the last MRI. I've felt differences, so I know things are changing. Headaches are seeming to be more "under control" than they were before. In part to sleeping differently and too pillow changes - sometimes without a pillow!!!

Enjoyed chatting with you tonight woman! Off to bed in a little bit. Try to rest, and hope you get a break from the headaches!!! *HUGZ* to ya woman!!!

• for a lovely chat
  • flower said:
    for a lovely chat
    You too Ms. Flower, enjoyed it, and like you learned more for my chronic pain...aka...headache toolbox! Hope to chat again soon! Big *HUGZ* :)

• Oh flower, do I know your pain... I find though, that when the headaches are to the point where my skull hurts, the Imitrex doesn't help, but that's just me. The trick with Imitrex though is to take it as soon as a migraine starts to come on, if I take it too late, it doesn't help at all. It's also not meant to take for "normal" headaches. My pm gives me occipital injections, and they seem to be helping with the headaches, I haven't had one that bad in a while now. He injects anesthetic into the skin right around where that little bump on the back of your head is, about halfway up. I had them once though during one of those types of headaches, and it didn't help at all. It was the weirdest thing, the skin on my skull was completely numb, but the pressure from laying down still hurt so bad. Have you ever tried heat, like laying on your heating pad? It helps me a little. I hope that your headache has let up for you, I know how bad it is.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • helps a great deal to ward off these cerviogenic headaches as we have both discovered avi, and awhile ago i too realised pillow changes helped heaps.

but as you no, no matter what , sometimes they happen anyway

my osteophtyes are impinging the cord and lateral nerve roots and also stenosis at exit foramina with osteophytes compressing the nerve roots, both sides.
    C4-T1 is advanced, with all disc spaces narrowed, sclerosis of articular margins and facet joints

in other words , its a mess

great chatting with you avi, we have similiar cervical issues
    big hugs back at ya
    take care
    flower (still iceing)

• im still iceing my head , gotta numb it , its so painfull, and it wont go away.
    my GP mentioned awhile back about injecting into my head in his office, at the time , i thought oh cool, but i didnt ask him about the details.
    so, im now wondering what he was talking about
    i wonder if what you had was the same thing?

i remember he said something about the nerve, is that what you have ??
    so he was saying it would help the nerve pain

hope your in low pain mode kelly
    he he , just thought , i could use your name now numbskull , lol

• Occipital injections are easy for the doc to do in an office setting without a fluoroscope. Basically the doc follows the shape of your skull and finds the area where the nerve passes and injects right into the notch. This will make the scalp go numb as is related to the nerve.

Imitrex is for migraine headaches and won't do anything for an occipital nerve problem if that is what you are dealing with. Are you currently taking any medications for nerve pain? Like Neurontin or Lyrica? When I was first diagnosed with Occipital Neuralgia, I was started on Tegretol (carbamazepine) and it was a wonder drug for me. I was able to control these headaches for many years with these types of drugs.

Has your surgeon or general practitioner ever referred you to a neurologist? I was diagnosed and treated by several neurologists for this type of problem.

• yes, this is probably what he was referring too
    what do you mean by the "notch" and is it aneathetic in the injection? or ?

thats interesting about the carbamazepine, im glad that you got releif from it for so long

my NS gave me lyrica to try, for the neurogenic headaches, but after reading the side effects, i was rather leary to take them, i may have to re-think this!

when i saw my NS i intially went for my cervical , but in the interim , my lumbar became more urgent, so we were concentrating on that
    result is fusion for lumbar (this is pending)
    so, did not have time in consult to devote much to cervical

my cervical and lumbar are both competing with each other for who gets to go first on the fusion table

am waiting for a return call from NS

this of course still leaves C1-C3 cerviogenic headaches
    will ring my GP and ask him about the office injections
    thses headaches as you no are just so awfull
    i also get migraines, they are different
    thankyou for the info c
    much appreciated
  • you get the nerve pain shooting into your forehead when you cough

in the last few months it has been doing this whenever i cough

still iceing , taken more anti-inflammortories and muscle relaxers
    dont have my collar anymore. will have to get a new one
    take care all
  • I get them randomly, I don't have to be doing anything at all, feels like someone is driving a spike through my skull. Sometimes it's on the top or right side of my head, sometimes in behind my eye, I have had them in my forehead, too. They last for a few seconds to a minute at a time, and can happen several times in quick succession, or only once or twice, but the pain brings me to my knees. It's like brain-freeze on steroids, lol. My pcp said they are what's called "ice-pick" headaches. My scalp also goes numb randomly, hence my name, lol. Both the numbness and the "spiky" pains only happen on the right side of my head, but I always have the other headaches, where it starts in the neck and wraps around the top. When the headaches get really bad like what you have right now, I can only lay on my left side, the pressure on the back or right side of my head is just too much and is so painful. For me though, having the heating pad on my neck and head does help. I've never tried ice, as that just sends the spasms in my neck into overdrive and makes it worse. Just a question, when they are that bad for me, I am super sensitive to sound, but not very much with light. I can't even handle the little pitter-patter of my cats or dogs walking across the floor, as an example. Are you the same?
    I have an RFA scheduled in Tuesday, so I'll ask my pm to explain the occipital shots better. But it sounds just like what C explained.
    Hope you feel better soon!!
  • I hope you woke feeling better today. Headaches, any headaches totally suck to deal with. I've not tried heat as was suggested here, might have to try that on the next one. Heat normally isn't as helpful to me as ice.

My lumbar and cervical too fight for who will get the most attention. Even though your lumbar is "winning" that argument right now, you might want to bring these headaches up to your NS just in case, and let him see what might be going on, and too a possible way of getting relief. Chat again soon. *HUGZ*

• going to talk with NS and GP about this , i only slept 4 hrs, and im still i pain :(
    ive had these go on for days before , but i think this is the longest

thankyou avi for your kind thoughts and checking on me today
    hugs too you :)
    hope your having a low pain day
  • Thanks Flower,

For me, *most* of today was a lower pain day by my standards, thanks! I'm glad to see you are going to see your doctor about what is going on. Hopefully it will be a simple fix. I (like you) am sure getting a real answer as to what the heck is going on and how to address it will help bunches.

Just keeping you in my thoughts woman! Please let us know how it goes. Fingers crossed the the headaches BACK the heck off! :) *HUGZ*

• so sorry you have thses dreadfull headaches, im glad the heating pad works somewhat for you
    when i first got then a few yrs ago now, my thoughts were , ice , numb it, so i literally pack my head in ice and after a day or a few days depending how long they go, the ice helps numb the pain for me

whatever works /helps, right, lol

i cant say im super sensitve to sound , but when im like this , i dont have much sound going on
    you made me smile with your description of your little one"S pitter pattering along, awww cuties, but not good for you when the sound hurts, thats awfull
    you can get little shoes/socks for them, though they ,mmay pull them off, lol
    kelly good luck with your RFA , i hope it brings you relief
    have you had a diagnosis of occipital headaches kelly , my GP and NS both said mine were
    yes c explained it well, thanks for the support , much appreciated and to check with your dr about them
    you were saying that you didnt get releif from your injection , did you have others that you did ?
    Take care and hope you get relief with the RFA on tuesday

• rung my GP , hes away for 3 days , wouldnt ya no it
    anyway told receptionist im in pain , so they will ring me on the day he gets back and fit me in

i also rang my NS office and the first appoitment i can get is april, so i booked it

still got the occipital headache
    thanks everyone for your support , kind words and info
  • rung my GP , hes away for 3 days , wouldnt ya no it
    anyway told receptionist im in pain , so they will ring me on the day he gets back and fit me in

i also rang my NS office and the first appoitment i can get is april, so i booked it

still got the occipital headache
    thanks everyone for your support , kind words and info
  • If you look at this image you can see the the window or "notch" where the occipital nerve comes through the base of the skull and onto the scalp. The injection is into this area and it bathes the nerve in a short term anesthetic and can numb up the skull within just a couple of minutes.

All of these medications have lists of side effects that are pretty daunting. Once I got even the first smidgen of relief from the Carbamazepine, I didn't give much thought to the side effects. Any relief from these headaches is a blessing.

• Yes, C, that's exactly where he injects, and it does
    numb my scalp within seconds!

Flower, I have had the injections after that have seemed to be working. I had them the first time, didn't do anything, then the 2nd weas when I was in the middle of one of the REALLY bad headaches, and it didn't help at all, but the 3 I've had since, I think it is helping, as I haven't had a really bad one again, and I was getting them at least once a week, lasting a couple of days. I don't know how you're making it through so long with it now!! They really are terrible. I feel for you. Maybe you can ask about getting the injections. As my doc explained, the more you get them, hopefully the fewer headaches you get. Yes, the docs have told me they are occipital headaches, and I get the normal tension headaches, and then those ice-pick headaches, too, and then the migraines. It's not fun, is it. I hope you get relief from it soon. What about going to the ER, if it's super bad, because your dr is out for a few days?
  • it just got worse in the last 24 hrs and ive been sleeping on and off and icing and taking meds
    then i got V and D ,well that really topped it off

dont think it was related to the headches though , that hasnt happened before with them

yes, sucks big time!! the pain is horrendous

the intensity is not as bad now , though still there , my dr is back tommorrow

im sory the blocks didnt work great for you, but hoping that improves.
    thanks for your help kelly
  • for the chart, yes can see the nerve and area
    bathing that nerve with aneasthetic sounds wonderfull right now

the pain actually just got worse in the last 24 hrs, and ive been sleeping on and off and icing, its starting to go somewhat now , not as intense , but still there.

yes, a neurologist would prob be the way to go, with this, are you still taking carbamezipine (sp) for your treatment, or have you been put onto the newer lyrica or another treatment? Do you/have you had the anesathetic blocks?

thanks for your help c

• finally this cerviogenic headache has settled , my GP rang me yesterday and fitted me in.
    as the headache was resolved, by the time he got back, was no point in doing the block

he said if happens again , he will do the block with aneasthetic and some steriods

i took in my scans and letters from neurosurgeon and got him to read them , he then said he would ring neurosurgeon and see if he can expediate an MRI cervical and my NS appoitment

things were messed up, reports not read, info not recorded and so am trying to sort out

• Glad to hear that your headache has let up. Knowing that the doc is on your side and working to get things moving and straightened out, is always a comforting feeling. Glad to hear some better news.

• yes, theres been a few factors in different events contributing to delays, yeah so hopefully things will get moving and straightened out now

thanks for your support
  • I know the feeling!

Past couple months or at least month, I've been having a horrible time with nerve pain of the scalp...among other pains.

It is horrible when it gets really intense. The burning, it hurts to touch your hair, or move or lay your head a certain way, your scalp is tight...Don't even mention the occipital nerve or c3 nerve getting caught and bring that burning aching nerve pain from the base of the skull up and over the scalp to the top over the eye (in this case my left eye). Sometimes I even get jaw pain.

Ugh, it is hard to relieve. Only things I find is trying to loosen the muscle that is tight in my shoulder/neck, lay down with ice under the neck, my muscle relaxer, or my tens unit.

It is still very difficult to deal with, break through the pain.

• So glad to hear it's gone!!! Hope you get your NS appointment soon, and MRI!
  • Glad to hear your headache finally backed off, and too things are once again moving with your doctors and such. Please keep us posted. I hope those headaches stay "backed away".. :) *HUGZ*