Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Supposed to have Discogram & ALIF soon-decision help!

sarahhopessarahhope Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi! I had 2 microdiscectomies in a row last Aug and Sept after herniating L5-S1 twice (once in phys ther). Now my pain has gotten severe and I have very little circulation in my feet. I cannot tolerate pain meds unless absolutely necessary (like after surgery). They make me so sick, I currently am taking nothing for pain.

So my surgeon now wants to do a Discogram and says I may need fusion at more than just the L5-S1 level. He is planning to do an ALIF with instrumentation in the back (cuz I also have Osteoporosis).

Even though my scans show some 2mm bulges at other levels, I feel that most, if not all, my pain is from the S1 nerve root compression. The Discogram seems like a very painful test and I'm not really wanting to even fuse more levels.

But I don't want to regret not fusing more levels if I really need to. Has anyone had a Discogram? Was it helpful? I'm really worried about it increasing my pain since I can't tolerate pain meds. Any success stories for multi-level fusion? I might end up having L3-S1 done and I'm really scared.

Also, I live alone and have only a little help from busy friends. How am I going to do this alone? How much help will I need?

I would really appreciate any advice from you guys who have experience! Thanks!

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please be sure and stop by the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more information and lots of answers on your surgery.. you will need help afterwards and most likely more than you can get from busy friends.. give yourself time to work this out!! good luck to you if you do decide on surgery.. i hope it is the answer for you.. stop by anytime and keep us informed! Jenny :)
  • Hi I was just thinking about posting for the first time so I will and let u know that I just had an S1 to L4 done on 12-9-10. Mine was going to be just the l5 to s1 but when he got in there he did both levels so not a choise for me. I guess this will not help much since I a just a week post op but I think I am doing good so far.

good luck