Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

my recovery..

LisaRachelLLisaRachel Posts: 286
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I wanted to start a new post about my recovery so far. First, I thank all of you for your supportive words from my last post. This is has been a rollar costar ride! I feel everyday something new comes up and something goes away. As you all know, I have been dealing with depression on top of all my pain and all your posts have been so wonderfu to read and to feel not alone. I do feel better physicaly my pain is reducing and I have color back in my face. When I first came home I looked like a gost! My scar is huge! It goes right from my shoulder baldes right down to my bum! with an extra scar from the bone graft. It lookes like it's healing nicely. My back feels very stiff and still not sure if I had a 3 level fusion or 4? I go back to my doc tomorrow.

I have been blessed with wonderful friends and family who have come to see me
everyday, the hard part is a night when I wake up with pain and no one to comfort me. I have been in-touch with my ex boyfriend but I know I'm only doing it cause I've been feeling low and lonley. I am going to be strong and not take him back! And to know this too shall pass...

Love to all,

• way to go lady. We here for you when you need us.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    It's great to hear that you're doing well. You've got a great attitude and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Hope your check up goes great tomorrow.

If you ever need to talk about anything we're here for you. Stay strong.

• Glad to see that you are doing well. One day at a time.
    Great that you have had company during the day.
    You are inspiring, going through what you have gone through with so many levels. It will encourage all of us who have yet to have our surgeries. Keep the updates coming, we look forward to them.
    All the best at your doctor's appointment and finding out about the levels done.
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Howdy Lisa!!!

Glad to hear you have support during the day. Don't let your pain get you mixed up with the ex!! You're a strong woman, you can do it! Keep resting and healing. Please let us know how it goes with the doctor tomorrow!! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Keep strong girl, you are through the worst. Every day is one day closer to being better. Hang in there. I am always here for you, that is after I am functional after tommorow. Glad you have good friends and family. Will be thinking of you! Stay Strong!Gentle Hugs..
  • to see that you are on the mend Lisa! Hopefully I will be joining you there soon!
  • how well you are doing after your major surgery!

So glad you had kind support of friends and family, that is such a priority and so needed going down the path of such a major surgery.

My heart goes out to you with your transition of terminating your relationship with your boyfriend, and I had same situation with my c-spine surgery, knowing it was healthy and necessary and knowing it had to be done is difficult any time, and especially more so during your convalescing and needing support. Please don't be harsh on yourself for yearning for the comfort of your ex-bfrnd in order to stay strong. Being focused and reminding yourself of how it is the very best thing you could do for you (and him), will allow for you to be clear and strong for full complete closure.

Wishing you well for your dr. appt. and glad you are here to receive continued tlc and support!

• Thank you all for your postings.. Tonight, I don't feel well :( I feel like my skin is burning and my legs are so painful. This is my rollar coster ride! Today, I was pretty good but did not move around as much as yesterday. I might try a bath to relive this... is this normal? after fusion??
  • Lisa, sorry to hear your legs are bothering you tonight. I'm glad that you've been having lots of company, I'll make it up at some point!! Wishing you better days as each one passes, and we're here for when they're not so great, and to share when they are!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Hi Lisa,
    Just reading your post made me think about the saying, "You never know how strong you are till you face a storm". You are one strong lady. I hope the roller coaster ride levels out for you. It's really good that you have friends and family. I hope the burning in your legs goes away soon. I only had a 2 level fusion,( 25 days ago) and the burning in the right leg is pretty much gone and looking forward to the same for the left. I like the baths, helps if nothing else to take my mind off from it. Also, seems changing positions and thank goodness for pillows. Best of luck to you. TxLa55 aka Susan
  • Hi Lisa :wave:

happy to hear your on the other side of all this :)

x - yeah totally normal. Heck there are times my x look good even 20+ yrs after leaving them lol When we feel needy our minds return to the good times in our life wanting those feelings back again - total normal girlfriend :D

Just remember what he really is when you go to pick up the phone & log on here instead ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Glad you are starting to get a grip on your path to recovering.

As already been said, be careful about reaching out to your ex, unless you really mean it. If it's only for short term comfort, unfortunally you might be hurt again.

But it good to hear your back with us.
  • Thanks guys! Well, I got together with my ex tonight after 6 months of not seeing him, it was weired and those feelings came back for a bit but I looked at him and also remembered what a mean shelfish person he can be too. He did not look that great I'm way better then he is! I am holding on to those 20% of nice loving ex and the rest just blah!! LOL

I am on my new journey of feeling better and stronger since my fusion. I got a clean bill of health from my surgeon and yes it was a 3 level.

I can actually feel the difference my back feels a lot better now, the only thing that hurts is my hip.

Love to all,

Hope all of you are not in pain!!

• Lisa,

Isn't this the "boyfriend" that stole your meds? Sorry trying to remember the circumstances. I'm very glad that you are feeling much better now. When do you find out "how" many levels they ended up doing? I am a little miffed there too, as my NS came to my room in the hospital to confirm what he did when he got in there.

Please don't let the Ex pull you back in. You don't need all that again. *HUGZ* to ya woman!!

• Terrific that your surgeon is pleased with your progress and that you're starting to feel better and stronger.

I'll echo the advice others have given you on your ex. I've been divorced for over 20 years and I still have some feelings for the good times. I've been strong for many years now and you will be too.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • So glad to hear you are doing so well! Keep your chin up, otherwise you might not see some guy that could be Mr Right..lol Honestly, sooo glad you are doing so well. Just remember, baby steps in all you do. It is not a race to the end, it is a matter of getting there and feeling great! Hang in there..Robin
  • Just wanted to say hi and let you know how happy I am to read you are feeling stronger. Your recovery will be long, you know this, yes a roller coaster of pain, strength, good days and unfortunately bad days.
    Your post sounds as if you have a good prospective, which is great and key to getting you through the next few months.
    Try to stay ahead of the pain and please try not to overdo things, we all to this and then regret the setback! Remember your body needs time to heal from such a major surgery.
    Take it easy and be kind to yourself, both physically & emotionally.

God bless you for a easy & speedy recovery!

• sounds like your coming along well with your recovery, thats great your parents and friends dropped in.
    how are you manageing with the day to day, getting around, sleep, making meals?? i no you were really concerned about this
    keep healing lisa , take it easy
    hugs flower
  • Okay Ms. Lisa,

We haven't seen you in here for 4 days. Just wanting to check in, and check on you. How's it going woman? Inquiring minds want to know!! *HUGZ*

• Glad to see you doing better. Keep up the good work, and don't do anything silly!!
    You don't need the crap!
  • Hi Everyone! Thanks for your comments and your interests in me :)

I'm doing ok. My pain is a lot better now since the surgery but, now I have pain when I walk due to my hip and general stiffness. My legs are still spasing so, I strated back on the gebapentin for a few weeks. Its very sore to bend down thank god for my grabber! my cat freaks out when she sees it!! My friends and family think I'm doing too much but at the same time I need clean underware and the litter box needs to be cleaned! I think it's better that I have had no help because it forces you to do things for yourself. I have been taking short walks in my area even went to the grocery store to get milk. A friend of mine is coming with me today so, I can have a large shop and he will carry my grocery's home.

As far as my ex boyfriend, I went back to that place of feeling insecure and " I will never meet anyone else" We broke up 6 months ago due to his behaviour. He has a gambling problem and lied to me all the time. I could never trust him! We had a very bad break up and was very surprised he came to visit me last week. I do still love him but my family and friends would never talk to again if we got back together!! LOL.. I tried sending him texts last week that I still love him but I got no response. I know after I broke up with him he started an affair with a married women so, who knows it could still be going on!
    I am 40 but I'm pretty cute and have a lot to offer someone special. It's hard meeting people when you don't have limitations so for me I always feel how am I going to meet anyone?? I hate on-line dating!! but, I am able to go out now so who knows!!

I am starting to look for part-time work because my last employer hired someone else due to them not knowing how long my recovery would be. It might take me 6 months to find a job but at least it gives me something to do during the day! I am also in 2 very big law suites! I am suing the place in France where I fell but that could take years!!. I still can't belive what happend and how my life changed in one second. 7 surgeries later mixed in with chronic pain loss of a full time job with a bunch of depression mixed in! I know there is some positives that I should focus on. I have a phone consultation with my therapist on Monday to talk to him about going back to work so soon and my setback with my ex... I always thought Life was hard for all of us so, reading all your posts make me feel not alone in this tuff adventure we call life!

I hope all of you are well,

• So good to see you back on here...I was just thinking about you and how you are doing.It is great to see that you are doing okay, but please please be careful what you are doing around the house...cat litter, laundry.I know it must be hard not to tackle these things, but you are still very early out from a very big surgery.You don't want to have a setback.Can you ask a friend or family member to help you out with these things?As far as your ex, sounds like you really went through alot with him, with the gambling issue.I have had experience with this with someone close to me and it can be devastating for everyone around them.Keep in touch with family and friends (including us here on spine health)whenever you need company or someone to lean on.Keep up the healing,rest,walk, and take it easy.We are here for you!
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Sorry I'm so long in replying, I've been too busy and long for a day of complete rest and doing nothing but feeding myself. I'm already ready for January, I'm done with the holidays. LOL

Anyway, just wanted to say that I'm glad you're recovering and now on the other side. Aren't you glad you didn't cancel it and still have it to look forward to? I know the recovery is no piece of cake, but at least you're past the surgery and moving forward. Time passes pretty fast sometimes and I'm anxious for you to get to the point of knowing the pain is just recovering from surgery, not your previous spine pain.

Take care of yourself and I'm very, very glad to see you posting.
  • There you are woman!! Was starting to worry a bit. Please try NOT to overdue. You are a vet at this stuff, so nothing new with that warning. You don't want to induce more pain, okay?

As to the "ex" - no more text messages of "I love you" to him. A loser is just that, a loser. Nothing you do is going to change him, but he can forever fubar your life. Find someone deserving, and forget him. Yeah, I agree with your friends and family here! :)

I hope you continue to feel better each day. Big *HUGZ*

• Just wondering how you are now in your recovery and hope all is well with your healing. I'm hoping you're doing better and that's why you've been busy and not around. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have been wondering the same as Charry. Hope that you are doing well Lisa! Please update us if you can on how your recovery is going.
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012