Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm hearing alot about "why do fusion"

dztyleddztyle Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my fusion Jan 25th 2010.

When i was 13 i was sleding down and hill on a air tube. and hit a tree, with my lower back I could not feel my legs for many minutes and my friend was freaking out.

after that i had gone to many ciropractors, that worked hard to keep me about to more and keep L5 in line with the rest of my spine. well here in 2009 just before my wedding the ciropractor was no longer able to get L5 back out so the vertabray was pinched inward, and the disk was so smashed that when they went in to do suregery they had no choice but to remove it.

So Why do fusion?

well for me it was do it or lose my legs and be in a wheel chair the rest of my life. now i can do everything But i can't run very good Because it hurts.

Some of us think what else is our choice. It is a very good
idea to ask your doctor if their is any other options, But for some of us we have no choice.

With any surgery you will have Pain,,,and you have to work after surgery to be back to or closer to normal. But in the eend YOU ARE THE ONE THAT MUST MAKE THE CHOICE FOR YOUR SELF.

• Kara...I'm glad you are doing better. Yes, surgery is very personal. I'm glad you came to a decision where it was worth the risk of proceeding.

My advice to folks is "If someone can talk you out of the fusion, then you have doubts." Most people are ready if they cannot be talked out of it.

For me, it was not right...not yet and I love the end of your post "you are the one that must make the choice for yourself".

It's true. It's one you have to make knowing the risks and benefits.

p.s. Congrats on your recent marriage!