Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I have L3-5 fused w/Hardware, now L2-3 is trashed

mkangasmmkangas Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Just wondering if anyone else has had the same or similar condition and how successful surgery will be on my L2-3 level? Was scheduled to see my surgeon today, but he got snowed in somewhere so my app't is rescheduled for tomorrow. I am worried and scared. I have viewed my MRI and it doesn't look good. Laying down only makes my pain worse. Sitting is the best for me because I keep my back rounded and I think that opens the spine up in the back allowing more room for the expressed disk material. My left leg / thigh is horrible. The radiologist called it DDD and severe stenosis. I see no way around surgery and think I am way too bad for any other conservative treatments. I suppose I had to bend "somewhere" since L3 thru 5 is one solid unit, but how common is L2-3 surgery? Will it have to also be a fusion or do you think I can get by with decompression and a laminectomy? Anyone want to weigh in with their thoughts? I am 56 years old, female and weigh 145#, 5' 7" tall.

• Mkangas,

First off, Welcome to Spine Health!!! Sorry to hear you're now having issues with your L2/3. Same here, but the surgery, I'm trying to hold off. It is good to see another that can sit fairly comfortably by rounding their back - as I do that! I round it, and arch it - seems to help. Standing is a killer, and too walking bites.

As to what kind of surgery, none of us are in a position to even guess. Fusions are done for stability as you probably know. Depending on how much disk they have to take out will decide that. With your fusions as stated, not sure if they can try those other methods. Hopefully we and you will know tomorrow what the status is. Please let us know how it goes. Support *HUG*

As to the L2/3 - not common short of trauma. From what I got on the net, around 10% have failures at this level. 70-90% for the L4/5 or L5/S1. Percent of the surgeries that is...:)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.