Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just had 360 fusion on november 30- and doing great!!!

weavemanwweaveman Posts: 61
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I tried posting before with my whole story and it didn't show up, so now I'm gonna see if this works and just say hi to everyone first.

• Hello Kevin and Welcome to Spine-health!!!

So you had a huge surgery?!? How are you doing now???
  • It worked. Glad to hear you are doing well. I am six weeks post fusion and feeling pretty good. Off meds except neurontin for residual nerve issues. You?

• Hello Kevin, and welcome to Spine-health. I gotta tell you, it's great to read a headline like yours ;))
  • Well, once I got away from the hospital I started to feel real good. My doctor has only had his practice for 4 years and not as busy as others I had met, but I met him at an IME for workers compensation, and caught on right away how passionate he was about his job. I think he's done a great job so far, but don't ever go to alexian brothers network of hospitals. I had to call my doctor and have him release me the day after surgery, as the competency of the hospital staff had me fearing for my safety.

Once I was home, and finally able to take the meds that the nurses wouldn't give me. I started to feel good. Plus I had a blanket at home and was able to sleep with one that night. Evidently, blankets are rare at this hospital and they didn't want to waste one on me. 4 days after surgery, and 3 days at home, I was finally able to get enough to drink that I stopped peeing maple syrup. Getting water that didn't taste like mud is as hard to get as a competent nurse at this hospital, so I didn't have anything to drink or eat until I came home.

Enough of bad hospitals though, As far as the surgery goes, I was in pain afterwards, but not nearly as bad as I had thought. Constipation has not even been an issue yet. I loaded up on metamucil before I went in just to make sure and have been keeping up on it since. Now 14 days after surgery, I am actually forcing myself to take it easy, as this is the best that I have felt in 4 years!! Pain is a funny thing, I was almost convinced that after the stories I have read of people's stories of just sitting at a desk in pain, that maybe I just needed to keep taking pain meds and keep working construction.
    But after the surgery, I have realized that my pain before surgery was worse than the pain after. I'm sure at some point things won't keep getting better this fast, but right now I feel as though this was definitely what I needed. I hope everyone else is having as good of luck as I am.

Now don't get me wrong, all 3 scars are sore, and my left leg still makes my back hurt when I'm putting pressure on it, but the burning in my thighs are gone, and my hips burn about half of what they did. Doctor claims it should all start getting better in 6 weeks. All in all, my only regret is the hospital of my choice. My surgeon has been great thru this whole thing, and for the year I've been seeing him, every question I've had has been returned personally by him within 24 hours. He used BMP and cages in the front, and BMP on the tips of my facets in the back along with Nuvasive's pedicle screw system.

I've got alot of time on my hands now, so hope to talk to people alot on here in the future.

Take care, fellow sufferers, and I hope we all get better soon.
    Kevin :H :H

• angelanic- I'm still on oxycontin, oxydone, and valium. Who knows, maybe that's why I feel so darn good too. LOL
  • Hi Kevin,welcome to SH. This is a great sight full of caring, informative people. It is wonderful news that you are doing so well! I love to read about the success stories of people, as I await my fusion. Did you have 2 levels done?Keep up the great healing
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi Kevin,

I had a PLIF 10 days ago and feel great.

Glad your feeling well

• Doc fused the 2 bottom levels. He had done a discography and both the bottom discs were positive.
    I had gotten a second opinion from the head of Neurosurgery at rush memorial in chicago after the
    discectomy, and he wanted to put an artificicial disc in at the bottom only, and he said "and if L4-L5 bothers you later, we will fuse that one then". That doc also had an assistant that I spent the majority of my time talking too. I decided I only wanted one operation and trusted the workers comp spine surgeon more than the physical assistant of a renowned doctor from Rush in Chicago

Spine surgery is a personal one, and your opinion is the only one that counts, as you will live with that decision and no one else. It's what kept me awake alot of nights, not knowing if I would be better or worse after the surgery. I thought long and hard about the adr instead of fusion because of all the things that ADR seems to promise.

I ended up going with the workers comps spine surgeon. He never lied, always spent alot of time with me in his office, was very interested in the details of my problem. When I called his office, he would personally return my calls. When he performed a microdiscectomy on me, he didn't blame me for it failing, but told me to give it every chance I could because fusion was the only other answer. He told me he was trained for charite ADR, but that he had done enough operations removing other doctor's ADRs' that failed, he didn't believe it was worth the risk vs. reward.

I didn't pick the most experienced surgeon, or the latest technology. My decision was made by the personal care, passion, and truthfulness of the spine
    surgeon. He was the 3rd out of four I had seen, and I still feel that I made the right decision having him do it.

Hope all goes well with your surgery, and that we all feel 100% in a few months. Kevin
  • Glad to hear you're feeling well. I feel so bad for all those that have had bad results on these pages, but it is definitely good to hear success stories on here. We both have alot of healing to do yet before we can say success, but I hope you and everyone else keep up to date on how you are healing. Success can't be defined by other's healing, but it's nice to know when others are feeling the same things I am, wether good or bad. I will try to do the same.