Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questions regarding 3 level fusion

dschmidt56297ddschmidt56297 Posts: 32
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am having a 3 level fusion on Dec. 30th and will be off work for 3 months. What can I expect after the fusion surgery? How hard is it to go up and down the stairs? What about showering? Will my arm and pain go away after the surgery? Thanks

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of articles and videos that can help you understand the procdure you're having (I'm assuming it's an ACDF?) and the members of the forum are very supportive and knowledgeable.

I also had a 3-lvl ACDF (C4/5/6/7) and had to wear a hard brace for one month post-op. Before surgery, I had tingling and numbness in my right arm 24/7 and severe pain and weakness in my left arm. They were all gone when I woke up from surgery.

Overall, my recovery experience was not too bad, the first week was a bit painful and I was very tired, but was up and walking after the first week (meaning therapeutic walking to help with fusion and recovery).

I had no problem with stairs post-op, even with my hard brace, although I went slow and held on to the handrails, of course. Going down is a bit harder as you can't really see where you're going, so take that even slower than going up.

Showering post-op - I could take off my brace for that only and I sat on a shower stool while my hubby showered me and washed my hair. Because I couldn't bend my neck, I just covered my face with my hands while he washed and rinsed my hair. It was very helpful to have one of those hand-held showerheads, it made it much easier on my hubby. I was able to shower on my own after one month when my brace came off.

The brace was a bit difficult to get used to, but I took comfort in it as it reminded me not to bend or twist my head. I had to wear it 24/7 except for showering and slept in my recliner for the first couple of weeks. Then I was able to sleep in my regular bed upstairs.

I had my mother-in-law taking care of me for the first three weeks, although two would've been fine and I could've possibly even gotten by fine with just one week of help.

The main thing is that once you start having good days, don't overdo it. It's very easy to think you're doing fine and are now able to do things you shouldn't, so make sure to stick to your restrictions for the first three months or so, or until your surgeon tells you otherwise.

One more thing - for the first week or two, take your medications as prescribed to keep ahead of the pain. Once it gets ahead of you, it's hard to get back under control.

I hope you have a quick recovery, mine wasn't bad at all and I hope yours is the same. Feel free to ask any questions and PM me if I can help you in any way.

Take care,