Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2010 - A Year in Review - What Happened to You?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Matters of the Heart
2010 is s lowly drawing to a close. Each year around this time besides getting ready for the Holidays, I start thinking and looking to the next year. And at the same time, I look back on what this current year meant to me.

For me, 2010 will be the 'Year of the Shoulder' and hopefully mark an end to any additional surgeries for me. Up until this year, I havent had any surgeries since 2000, so I hope I dont see one for at least 10 more years.

It also marked the year my Mother passed away, so that will always hold something in my heart.

For any negative that may have happened in 2010, I have looked at the positive side of it.

- While the shoulder surgery was very painful and the recovery very long and hard, I know things will be so much better next year.

- Even though my mother passed away, while in good physical health, we all knew her mental state was beginning to slip. She was a proud women and if she realized she was starting to slip mentally, it would have been more difficult for her to take.

Take a look at this past year. I am sure we all have had some very high highs and some very low lows.
We can not change the past, we can not undo what has been done, but we can do something for the future.

Best to everyone.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Ok Ron,
    I will try the positive approach..hard to do sometimes.
    2010 marked my breaking point of having no life and constant pain. After 4 years of avoiding surgery I had a 2 lvl fusion on March 1st. However, 1 year or so of recovery will help me have a better next year and hopefully many more after that.

Seemingly terrible at the time, I lost my health insurance after going on long term disability because I could not afford 650 bucks a month plus only get 60% of my salary plus that was taxed. After 8 months off work and getting behind on every bill I have...I ended up getting a wonderful new job that will have me working from home in a few months. And the pay and benefits are wayyyyy better than I have ever had. I caught up on all bills in a matter of 2 months. I feel truly blessed and lucky to have landed a job like this in this kind of job market. Thank god I went to nursing school..lol

I have also seen a side of my husband I had never seen before. He has been so kind, loving and supportive during my recovery. While Feb was our 1 yr anniversary, we have been together 10 yrs. My surgery has brought us closer than ever.

So in closing..2010 has been the hardest financial and painful year of my life, while at the same time rewarding in so many other ways..

Heres to 2011!!!

• I'll just say that the last 2 quarters of 2010 have sucked canal water for me. My neck issues flared up in Late may. I lost my little piddly job at the local garden center (I loved working there). I had Surgery in Nov. Now, I've gained 15 lbs between Oct and now. Pants are tight and I've no energy. I want to hibernate until the holidays or over....I've felt this way for several years. I'm fixated on my arm weakness from the surgery, it's got me psychologically warped and distraught. So thats my year in review. something positive...I do have my Husband and I'm grateful and blessed to have him.

So here is to 2011, a new start and a new decade. I've got some goals to meet.
  • This year has been a tuff and painful year but somehow with the support of friends and family I will make it on threw.
    The beginning of the year started off great with lots of great jobs coming in. Took a turn downhill in April when my incident happened that hurt my back. Over the summer learned alot about my back and met some great doctors that have helped me and some that I wounder how they have a practice. I had to sell my sawmill buisness in July due to the back issues which has allowed me to be able to finacially maintane while getting my back fixed. I got to do some fishing since I sold the buisness which I had forgotten I liked so much. I was able to play a few rounds of golf before the incident which caused me to miss out on the rest of the year. My imediated family has had a healthy year which is great. The last part of the year has been tuff preparing for having and now recovering from my back surgery. So I guess 2010 was not the best year of my life or was it. I learned alot about myself,friends,and family this year and feel very blessed. I will remember 2010 as the year of my back.
  • This was the worst year of my life. Going for so many second, third, fourth opinions on what was wrong, trials on different meds, having a very bad hospital experience with lack of results to date, collapse of my business, IRS lien and pending foreclosure, Mom's health significantly deteriorated, abandoned by church and "friends", betrayed by many business associates.
  • with hubby's back, our son being in a very dangerous country, two sibling marriages breaking up and many people in the family in ill health or without jobs. The operation was a godsend and ,aside from a few glitches and scares, hubby is recovering well. Son came home and found a job two hours south of us. This year we have learned that one should never count on the future- we knew this but we did not 'get' it until life turned upside down for us. We feel we are climbing out of a dark pit and rejoice in every minute of sunshine. And our mantra now is 'this too shall pass.'
  • Well, I am going to focus on the positives of 2010 and just ignore the bad stuff.

I adopted/rescued 2 dogs: Shy, my redtick coonhound and Cooper my beagle. I also started fostering dogs, keeping them out of the kennel and giving them a loving home until they find their "furever home". Just 1/2 an hour ago my family said goodbye to our latest foster. He went to a family with 3 young boys to love and play with.

My super shy daughter Phoebe started kindergarden and loves it! She's coming out of her shell and its a great thing to see.

My 9 year old daughter Sydney wanted to use some of her birthday money to donate 2 chickens to a family in need in a far off country. That made Phoebe decide to also do a donation to others in need. I am so proud and happy that my "good deeds" are rubbing off on them. Giving to others in need is so important to me.

2010 was also a year that showed me how thankful I am for my husband. He has taken over many of the things that I can no longer do, never complaining. I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful spouse.

2010 was also the year that my passion for beading took off. Now if I can make some money on my work that would be just great.(G)

Was there crappy stuff happening in 2010? You bet, but I try to not dwell on the negative (I TRY, not always successful!)

2010 was also a year that Spine Health and its great members became a part of each day for me. Giving and getting support (and laughs too) has been so good for me trying to deal with this new life of mine.

So thats it. Sorry if I sound like an annoying Pollyanna, but like I said in the beginning of my post: I am trying to look at just the good stuff!

Hoping we all have a better 2011,