Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Holiday blues

floatingrocksffloatingrocks Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Depression and Coping
I miss the way it was before when I felt like decorating,
and shopping. Before my children all grew-up and I still had someone to eat the Christmas cookies and open all the gifts. It,s alot more fun watching others open gifts than opening your own.
Don't get me wrong, that is not all that Christmas is about.
I Thank God for the gift of His son Jesus.I'm just thinking of days gone by. 8>

• Hi floatingrocks O:) I miss part of *those days*!
    I do as much or as little decorating as I feel I can. This year,I've enjoyed giving my son some of the decorations for his tree. I definatly don't bake like I used to! Did all my shopping online...nice just having to wait for it to be delivered. I have the kids and their significant others over for brunch or dinner...whatever works for them. We open gifts then. I still have the music we all listened to,and play that. Try to have a Happy Holiday season,the best you can!
  • I miss my kids being little. I haven't put up a tree since 2002. We always go up north for Christmas, so I don't feel like decorating here. I baked cookies this year for the first time in a long time==my "baby" begged for his great granny's sugar cookies. (he is 31) We had Christmas with our kids and grandkids last weekend, so I feel like the holidays are over. For Christmas day, I will fix dinner and invite my in-laws over. My mil isn't really able to cook.
  • I have always been a Christmas person; major decorating, Christmas music playing all day from December 1st on, lots of baking, loved wrapping gifts.....

This year it is different. I don't have the energy, the tolerance or anywhere near the enjoyment of the season, and it makes me sad. Yes, I decorated, but it was an effort. My hubby put the tree up, and I decorated it on my own; that's when I really miss having the kids around. I did my "duty" and baked, then hosted an open house on the weekend for friends. But it's all in "robot" mode. Frankly, I can't wait until it's over, and that is definitely NOT me.

In our community, a local church puts on a "Blue Christmas" service. Unfortunately, it is tonight and I have another commitment....but it might be something that is available in other communities, and would be worth looking into. It is non-denominational and just gives people a chance to come together and grieve for whatever losses they feel (hospice sponsors it).

I am expecting all three of my kids to pass through over the holidays, so that I AM looking forward to. Hopefully my mood will pick up and I'll actually feel like driving around looking at Christmas lights and watching my favorite Christmas movies!

All the best to each of you - "this too shall pass".

• I know how you feel!! I only just put up my tree last week, and paid for it the next couple of days, until I had my RFA done. Normally, the tree would have been up the first weekend of Dec. I noticed that I haven't got the tree up until the week before christmas the last couple of years. Shopping was easy this year, as my family decided to draw names, so there was a lot less running around to do in that aspect.

But floating, if you want a reason to bake, I'm always an enthusiastic recipient!! :D
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • HUGS My 18 yr old came in Thanksgiving and did the tree, and lights on the outside of my house and the elderly neighbors. THANK GOD for her. I was sooo frustrated with not feeling like getting anything done. (((HUGS))) Hope you have a great day and wonderful Christmas
  • I made it through the holidays. It wasn't with the same enthusiasm that I would normally have, but I did it.

I hope the rest of you did as well. Take care, and all the best for a happier, healthier new year!
  • So glad you made it through Tracy! Hope you have a wonderful New Year as well!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own