Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck spasms after collar being removed

57goldtop557goldtop Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am 6 in a half weeks post fusion c 4-5 5-6. I have noticed prior to the collar coming off I had spasms in my trap and at the base of my skull. My first night without collar I am up searching for answers. It brought me to tears so back to the pain pills and the collar. Any suggestions? Does it let up ? Thank you for an help.

• Let me clarify. I am having spasms from trap to the base of my skull 10 times worse than they were with the Miami j collar. It is on the side I had originally had all the problems. Is this due to muscle atrophy ? Thanks dave
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

Nobody can really tell you what's going on except your doctor, but I can tell you that my experience was that I had muscle spasms in my upper left back and pain in the back of my neck for quite a while after surgery. My surgeon said it was normal and even ran his finger around the spots that I could possibly have continuing pain and spasms for a while.

However, having said that, never hesitate to call your surgeon and mention anything that's bothering you and has you concerned. That's what they're there for.

Take care and please keep us posted.
  • I was in an accident on April 8th of 2011 and had fractures also my C4,5 & 6. I was recently told that my bones had fused and I was able to take off my Miami J collar. My neck has been very sore since then and my doctor said it's just because I haven't moved my neck side to side in quite sometime. I hate it and I can't seem to get any sleep because I can't get comfortable! but the last thing that i want to be on are any more pain killers. I hope you are feeling better since your post!
  • Dave,

You are still pretty early in your recovery stage. What you need to realize is that when any part of our spine is fused, the rest of our spine and related areas (muscle, ligaments, bone alignment) all have to adjust to this major change! The loading, dynamics and even function along your spine is changing.

I am going to assume that your fusion was anterior, and as such not much muscle was cut to conduct your surgery. Your posture is now different, your neck loading is now changed, so that can and does induce spasms. Mine lasted until around the six month mark - of course tapering off up to the 6 months. Have you tried ice, or alternating heating pads and ice?

Like Cathie said too, if you aren't comfortable, give your surgeon a call with your concerns. We heal faster and better with low stress - something your doctor I am sure wants you to be - low stress.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • It does get better. I still have problems at the base of my skull but I am a ton better. I go the gym every day and that has seemed to help. My neuro told me the spams could last over a year. I am almost seven months post surgery and no regrets. Stretch and walk and walk some more! Best of luck. Dave
  • Mine was anterior. I was commenting on ocny statement. Mine has improved greatly but I have a bad day when the tornados blow through as they have been doing quite often. I guess pressure and temp changes effect it still. When I first tOok off the Miami j collar I was in the same shape as him though. Within two months I was working out again and haven't looked back since.
  • I do think weather (pressure actually) does affect us. Just be careful at the gym, you don't want to backslide after all your progress. We tend to feel better, and then overdue and pay in spades!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.