Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help!!!!!!! I can't sleep

johnb3207jjohnb3207 Posts: 99
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all I have starting a journal on my sleep and what I am taking for sleep or starting over with nothing .and I am not having any luck so far this week I have slept a grand total of 9 and a 1/2 hours last week was prob 15 for the whole week .Fell asleep at 3 am last night woke up at 4am
And no matter what I try I cant get any sleep .and my Dr told me he did not want to put me on a sleep aid B/C it will mess my whole sleep pattern up (WHAT SLEEP PATTERN) so if anyone
has had trouble sleeping after there surgery and found an answer how to beat it PLEASE HELP ........My surg was Oct 21st so I should be sleeping now .......Thanks

• have you explained to your dr that youve only had 15 hrs sleep in a week, coz sleepers used short term and not every night can help so much to get needed sleep

i do understand what its like , i go for 30 - 40 hrs sometimes with no sleep

considering you have just had major surgery and are prob waking up due to pain/uncomfortable, you would think sleepers would be ok for short term relief

other than that , i was told to allways wake up at the same time , not to sleep past watever time i set as a wakeup time

but, this is not easy at all, and having little sleep sucks

try get comfy, clear your mind
    and talk to your dr again

• Thanks Flower I have Talked to him And I have tried to clear my mind whats left of it lol I guess I will sleep when my body is exhausted huh? thanks
  • ideal, but yes you will eventually sleep when your exhausted.
    ive found sleep comes in waves of like an hr and a half, so when you feel that sleepy wave coming try real hard to catch it, coz if you bypass it, then you get over tired and cant sleep

take care
    hope you get some zzzzz soon
  • Are you taking hydrocodone? If so, are you taking it right before bed? I'm on Norco (same thing with less APAP) and find that it disturbs my sleep so I take my last pill about 7:30pm at the latest and then a muscle relaxant right before bed.

Just a suggestion, as I have nothing else to offer. I hope you find a way to start getting some sleep. Not sleeping is the worst feeling ever.

By the way, how are you pain levels these days? How's the recovery going?

• Hi Cath my pain is really not bad at all I feel so much better than I did before surgery no more leg pain
    just a dull ache which most people would complain about but me it is just fine lol My dr and fiance were amazed with my tolerance with pain.... after a year with a ruptured disc he was like how did you do it
    sad to say but you just get used to the pain but after
    surgery I was like awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww lol an ache
    who cares about a little ache lol PT is going well
    also I am enjoying it and hoping in time that the pain will all go away but like I said hey I am much better
    thanks cath
  • hi! :) i have spent years not sleeping at night and get by with naps and rest! at night i get cozy in my bed and then turn on a favorite piece of music or the radio and let the music take the pain away and put me asleep for alittle while.. try it, it might work for you to. also, try some magnesium, it is natural and will give you a few hours of sleep as well. good luck,i do hope you are feeling better soon! Jenny
  • I had my spinal fusion L5-S1 on November 22. I was having the worst time falling asleep about a week and a half after my surgery. I would be tired, go to bed, feel relaxed and then couldn't go to sleep for hours. Once I got to sleep I slept fine. On my two week check up the dr gave me something to help me sleep and it has helped. I don't fall asleep immediately but it doesn't take two to three hours now. I had shoulder surgery and a hysterectomy in the past and the same thing happened after every surgery. Ask for a sleep aid. You need rest to feel better.

Take Care,
  • Thanks Lauren I will keep trying