Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

duragesic patches

starsinhereyessstarsinhereyes Posts: 583
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Pain Medications
hey there spineys
need all your input on anyone whos tried these patches...
just came from neuro...said besides fibromyalgia,i have neuropathy legs...and thinks something else is causing the back issues so going to get lumber mri and do some more blood test....he says he will work on finding the other issues...
so any input on patches good or bad
he says starting me on low dose and takes few days to get into body so use what i'm on gingerly (i said well what do ya mean gingerly half of dose half a pill...
i just been on norco 2 10mg every 4-6 hrs and ativan...or if bad days)which is everyday flexeril which i dont take cause just will sleep the day away...
so how have some of you reacted to this patch and any pain relief...i'm afraid of getting relief but dont want to get addicted....also if you been on and gone off did you have like withdrawel issues...
my hubby went with me and said to doc you seem puzzled...i want my wife to get some relief and a set diagnosis of what else she has....doc said perhaps we should get you into see someone at a university hospital...
my hubby and i said well we did and that doc was an so rude and spent all of 1 min.and said was nothing to do with the spine...
so i said oh great now your going to send me off also...i'm sick so sick(as i was crying)going thru this docs revolving doors its crazy...so no if you cant tell me everything wrong with me dont send me off to someone else try to treat me if i was your wife or kid..what would you do.....he changed is thought pretty quickly...
so for now mri in am and blood work back to were and what i did last yr well except for the patch thats new...
thanks spineys
neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
daily goal do good thing for someone.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    I have had good relief using the Fentynl patches ... was on MS Contin for about a year before we made the change ... they can be costly ... tend to work only 2.5 days .... and you may still need a shorter acting med for breakthrough pain .... many dosages available to adjust to in order to find the "right amount" for you. You should be on a long acting (controled release)opiate med prior to making this move. All in all ... some of the best pain managment I have had the "pleasure" of utilizing. Hope any of this helps .... keep on asking(YOUR DOC)questions as my comments are based only on my experience and should not be construed in any way as an endorsement or suggestion for your unique situation. etc etc.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• If you do a quick search, there was a thread, just a week or two ago, that had a really well thought out set of comments on this.
  • That thread is in the chronic pain section about halfway down and it is very informative. It was started by Tammy (TTLC...I think).
    I have been on Fentynal for about 6 weeks now and it has made a dramatic difference for me. My doctor also started me on a low dose. He said he was "under prescribing on purpose" to make sure I would adjust smoothly and still be able to function. I had improvement within a day or so, but I did find that the relief didn't last the full 72 hours. So the next prescription he bumped it up. I'm now wearing the 50 mcg patch and I have been able to decrease my breakthrough medication and muscle relaxers dramatically. I'm still having to use them, but not nearly as much as I was. So between the Fentynal, a recent epidural injection and my SCS, we have finally found a good combination. I hope you will experience the same success.
    Other than some morning nausea (almost like morning sickness) the first morning after putting a new patch on the night before, I've been fine and the nausea has subsided and I'm not experiencing it anymore now. That was my only side effect.
  • thanks dave most of what i have been reading says about the point of being on some type of opiate before starting the patch...so i'm thinking i should ask the doc. to make sure..

ty cent for the lead..

and thanks honey for you great input it sure helps to get others experience...
    were you on anything prior to starting the patch as a opiate meds or such??
    and ty for letting me know were that thread is i get lost finding stuff here so easy..

i've tried diff meds and gotten sick from some so very leary of trying new stuff i may wait till after the holidays but not sure what to do...sometimes when pains so bad will try about anything to get some relief...i'm so glad the docs found a good combo for you honey..
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
  • You mentioned that you were taking 20mg of norco every 4-6 hrs, which is hydrocodone, so you are already opiate tolerant. A person does not have to be taking one extended release medication before they begin taking another type. I mean, if you are going to start an extended release medication, the choice is between you and your Dr., and as long as your Dr is aware of your tolerance and does not over/under medicate you,makes you aware of the long half life with the patch (and other warnings) you should be fine.
    It would be different if you had said that you take your norco PRN, or if your Dr. planned on starting you on a high dose. What he might mean by gingerly (though I can't be sure and am only speculating) is that once you put the patch on you should be careful with your norco because a lot of times, people don't realize the patch is working, not giving it the time it needs to reach full plasma effects in the system, and continue taking their regular medications as though nothing new has been added. This can cause respitory problems, all opiates can have this effect on our respitory system, but the patch and other ER medications can sneak up on us esp. if we take other (BT) medications, thinking the patch is not working yet, very good, etc.

If I were starting the patch I would be very careful the first few days and try not to take any BT medication until my body adjusted to the new medication. But that is just my thinking, and of course your Dr will know best.
  • Mary, I am just seeing your question. Yes, I have been on Hydrocodone 10/500 "as needed" for several years, so I guess I had the tolerance level necessary. I am finding that I don't need to take it at all for about the first 36 hours of wearing the patch and if I do take it, then the nausea is more likely. The only other medications I have been taking for my pain are Zanaflex (muscle relaxer) and Naprosyn (anti-inflammatory). I started my patch in the evening, so now every time I put a new one on, it is in the evening. The nausea only seems to appear the morning following the change of the patch, but it really has subsided for the most part and was never that bad...sort of like pregnancy morning sickness adn didn't linger.
    Good luck!
  • ty robin n honey,
    i'm getting closer to tryin them...just waited till after holiday but now they are over and the pain has gotten worse..
    thanks for great replys it truely helps to get others advice
    i pray for cure for all of our cronic pain issues
    in this new year
    happy new year
  • From your lips to God's ears, Mary. Hopefully 2011 will be a good year for all of us.
    Let us know how it goes with the Fentynal. I have to tell you that as much as I hated the thought of adding a medication, this has been a good addition and the perfect doseage for me. Unfortunately, when I called for my refill last week, no one called me back from my doctor's office and my patches ran out on Christmas Day and I ended up 5 days without anything. Finally got my new prescription yesterday and was already feeling better within 2-3 hours of putting a new one on last night.
  • Hi Mary!

I sent you a private message with information about my Fentanyl patches at the end. I also wanted to mention that you should ask your doctor about Skelaxin for a muscle relaxant. I also used to fall asleep during the day from the flexeril at first. The doctor changed me to the skelaxin during the day and flexeril at bedtime. If it doesn't interfere with your other medications, maybe it might also help you. Good Luck Mary !!