Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello Im new here.

DC42DC42 Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone Im a 26 year old male, married with two little boys. in Feb, of last year I was injured while working lifting heavy buckets of rock into the back of a work truck. Anyway LNI paid for MRI showed buldging discs at L4,L5, and rupture at S1 which compressed the S1 nerve root. So week later I had L5-S1 microdiscetomy with Laminectomy. It helped the back pain and leg pain and I just had numbness in my leg and foot which was easy to tolerate. I was released to work with no restrictions and did fine for a couple of months. Then the leg pain started returning and back pain followed until I couldn't bare it anymore, told my employer and LNI sent me back to my Dr. who performed the surgery. He ordered another MRI which showed nothing pressing on the S1 nerve. He ordered 3 epidural injections at L5-S1 which gave me no relief. he is agianst pain meds so he never perscribed me nothing ever. So I did the physical therapy and dealt with the unchanging pain until 3 months later I saw him again. Still felt the same so he ordered another MRI with some dye that showed scar tissue blocking the nerve and the dye flowing down my opposite leg. He told me it happens and no guarentees with these things. He gave me permanent restrictions of no lifting over 40lbs and no repetative bending at the waist. LNI sent me to a new DR.(neuro.DR.) who told me he could help. He gave me another injection below the scar tissue so the med got into my leg but still hasnt helped. I have been in constant pain now for 8 months that doesnt change. My left but check feels like its notted up and my hamstring is really tight with pain even if i stretch it. the back of my knee stings and hurts like my hip, and my calf muscle just knots up when squatting. There is also a sharp pain in the side of my foot and the heel of my foot that radiates into my little toe. Its constant and unbearible. I tell the Dr.s its a 10 and they laugh at me, i guess because im able to drive in there and talk to them without screaming in pain they think im ok. Im a strong person and usually able to deal with pain pretty well. I played a lot of football as a linebacker and fullback, rode dirt bikes, been in fist fights, and broke my pelvis, tore my hamstring, broke my foot, knuckles etc. and nothing holds a candle to the pain I feel here. Some how Im able to get out of bed and on with the day but its so hard to suck it up, it hurts so bad!!!!!!!!!My own personal Dr. has me on a sleeping pill that helps me get a little sleep and taking gabapentin which takes a little of the sting off I guess. Every other person I talk too manages on some sort of pain medicine or something. Why am I not offered anything like that to help me. Im a 26 year old male with a tattoo on my arm so I guess they all think im two young and would abuse it but come on how can they put me through this. I have no history of addiction to anything, I dont drink or smoke, so what the problem. I have MRI's and EMGS with NCS that all say im messed up. My blood pressure is always spiked so high thats its crazy, isn't that enought to show a Dr. Im in pain. I have two little boys to take care of and thats the only reason I get out of bed in the morning is because I love them more than life itself and hate to see them suffer just because I am. I dont know what else to do or who to see. We have a pain management DR. but LNI wont send me anywhere without a referral from the original Dr. who did my surgery, and he don't care he got his paycheck from me. How do these people sleep at night I wish he could feel my pain for one day then he would change his mind.

• I'm sorry to hear you're having pain and no Dr. is giving pain meds. I would ask your insurance if you can get a Pain Management Dr. not just a Neurologist that gives injections. They should be giving you a slow release narcotic for pain at least. Sorry don't know what LNI is but you have rights as a patient to get treated for pain no matter what age you are. Hope you get a referral to a Pain Management Dr. who is an Anesthetist. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My heart goes out to you my friend. To deny someone pain meds when in the pain you are having is no different than torture in prison camps.Apparently this doctor has never been in any kind of pain. I have been in your predicament i and understand how you feel. Radio Frequency Ablation has helped for me. hope the best for you and i will include you in my prayer .God bless Cliff
  • While I haven't had a lot of luck with my pain mgmt doc, I agree that you need to see someone who understands pain and who will proscribe something to help. I understand completely the level of pain you're talking about, and I'm currently not able to get the mega pain meds I appear to need, so I know what it's like to deal with this and try to work and so forth. I'm banking on a new surgery to help. You need to have something to either look forward to, or some sort of management for this pain, or the pain will drive you to depression or anxiety--at least it did for me. I hope you can get this resolved. Take care.
  • Hello DC and Welcome to Spine-Health!! I am also sorry that you are NOT getting the proper pain treatment that all humans deserve, its just not right!! I commend you for getting up everyday and doing what you need to do for your family! BRAVO and keep us updated on any progress..:)