Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck & upper back pain a year after 2 level ACDF C 3/4,4/5

Cindy22CCindy22 Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had 2 level ACDF last December 22, 2009. (emergency surgery for it was choking the spinal cord)

Since surgery I had seen dr. of pain three or four times. I have done PT. I do not take any meds although I feel I need something at this point. Pain: two sharp points of pain directly on spine. One at the top of neck and the second down the spine between the shoulder blades maybe a little lower. When I turn my head I hear clicking/grinding and the pain worsens!!!!! Pain radiates into left shoulder and tricep. I could just cry!!!!

• I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. I had the same issue after my two level ACDF (C5-C7) except my pain was in my back/shoulder blades and not my neck. I continue to have that same grinding and popping noise that you are experiencing and my neurosurgeon says that is the arthritis that causes that noise. I also have another level (C7-T1) that needs surgical attention and that has developed in the last 11 months or so, but we are avoiding surgery at this time for as long as possible and controlling that left arm pain with the SCS.

Although the ACDF surgery took care of my hand weakness and severe right arm pain, I was left with terrible pain at the base of the neck and down and it feels like a hot ice pick being driven into my spine at times. I've had 3 epidural injections since my surgery in 2008, two long rounds of physical therapy (didn't help), and eventually was sent to pain management where I had a facet injection (didn't work), SCS trial and ultimately had the SCS implanted (11/2009). I got some relief from that, but still had the searing pain. Currently I am under the care of my pain management doctor, supervised by my neurosurgeon, and I use the SCS, muscle relaxer and a long acting pain patch along with Lortab (as needed) and an anti-inflammatory and I had an epidural injection last month at a little lower level than before and this combination is finally helping me to be more comfortable. I feel like I'm getting my life back, and I'm needing much less of the muscle relaxer and BT medication, but it has been a long, hard road and I know that because of this newest disk issue, I will be facing another surgery eventually, but for now this is good. I hope you can get some answers and feel better.
  • Reading these posts kinda scare me. Surgery was 13 months ago. About 6 weeks ago, I slipped down a few steps. My neck was already aching before that, but now it is really terrible. Surgeon has sent me for 8 weeks of "gentle PT" and hopefully this will resolve whatever is causing the pain. Like Cindy22, I have pain at my neck and between my shoulder blades. The headaches I am getting are incredible.

All I can say is PLEASE GOD, I don't want to do this again!

Let us all know what your docs say.