Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to posting and interduction

sawinlogsssawinlogs Posts: 45
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi I wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for this site. I am a 36 yr old male that had an incident in April that has lead me to being a spiney. My storie is that I do heating and air work which is not very back friendly but until April no real problems. I was putting in a new air unit when on of the tools I was using came flying apart and cause me to fall back over some steps that were behind me. That night was the start of my pain. I went threw all the steps as for as shot pt meds ect. Finaly on 12-9-10 they did a interior post terior fusion with all the extras on L4 and L5. I feel compared to some of the stories on here that I am doing pretty good so far. Like I said at the start thanks very much for this site it has been very helpful threw my journey and now that I have a while to recover I am going to try to post some.

P S sorry not a very good writer

• Welcome to Spine-Health. I'm sorry you had the accident that hurt your spine (thank goodness the AC unit wasn't on a roof, huh?) but glad you found us. You'll find a lot of great articles and videos throughout the site and the forum members are very supportive and helpful.

I also had surgery, a TLIF, at L4/5 and understand how painful the recovery can be. If you feel like you're doing well, then I'm very happy for you. It's nice to know that something got fixed and there's just recovering to do.

You're still pretty early out from recovery - are you walking a bit yet? Did your surgeon give you clear restrictions? Are you wearing a brace?

Sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to get to know you better. You'll have a lot of time to be here to ask questions and help others.

Again, welcome to Spine-Health and please keep us update on your progress.

• Hi Cathie

I am sorry I guess I didn't really give much detail as to what my current condition is. I did receive a strict no blt for at least 6 wks. I am pretty much restricted to just walking for now. I can eat what I want which still not much of an appitite. I am going threw constipation that is probably the worst of my condition. Oh boy never relized that could be so bad. I know the angles will sing when I go. I took my first laxitive about two hours ago but have been on stool softners since pre op. I am taking 2 10mg percs every 4hrs and an 10mg oxycotin every 12hrs. I have to wear a clamshell brace only take it off 1hr to shower. I am limited to sitting at 90 for no more than 10min in an hour but ok to be reclined as much as I want. They told me to walk walk walk which I can do for about 15mins at a time then rest for an hour or so. I live in KY so I am limited to walking indoors since we have had snow since I was sent home on 12-12. The house is becomeing very small since I was use to being outdoors everyday post op. I never was one to sit around and it is very hard not to be on the go as I read alot of spineys have a time with. Well hope I answered a little more. anyone feel free to ask me questions more than glad to answer them.
  • Hello Mark and Welcome to Spine-health!! I am glad you found us but sorry you had too!!

I am very very happy that you are doing so well...what a blessing!! Just remember to follow Drs orders and dont over do it..:)

I look forward to getting to know you more!!

• Thanks for all the info. I also had to wear a brace and had the 6-week no BLT restrictions. Yeah, the house gets kind of small, and it's not like your getting the exercise you need going to the bathroom. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I've had good success with Peri-Colace and Miralax as this is a very common problem with pain medications. When you start to decrease, thing should start moving more easily. But everyone has their bathroom meds that work for them better than others. My MIL took care of me and was of the old school cooking - lots of starch and no veggies. I had to pull my hubby aside and ask him to talk to his mom about adding veggies and salads to our meals. Grudgingly, she did so, thank goodness.

You're right that the limitations and getting tired easily is very difficult for many of us after surgery, but with the lumbar surgery, you need to try and be patient as much as possible. It could be slow go, but walking more and more really helps. I'm glad you're doing that.

Well, it's been good to learn more about you and I'm hoping you continue to recover well and that the other things smooth out. It's always nice to talk with someone who's gone through what you have. That's what we're all about here.

Take care, Mark. Feel free to PM me if I can help you in any way.
  • Wanted to welcome you to SH. Everyone here is so supportive and caring as well as very informative. It has helped me alot. My husband was also a heating and airconditioning tech. He had a fall almost 7 years ago while working...so your story is very familiar. He had a discectomy/laminectomy which unforfunately turned into failed back surgery. He has bulging discs throughout his lumbar and cervical spine. Your recovery is very encourageing as I await my fusion on l5/s1 and possibly l4/l5. Keep up the great work, rest, walk and listen to your doctors. Please keep us updated on your progress. Again Welcome!
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. so glad you dropped in! your recovery sounds as if it is moving right along schedule and you are doing very well. that is so good to hear!! good luck to you and please let us know how you are! Jenny :)
  • Like I posted in the recovery cat. I had my post op and dr said thing were right on tract. I wanted to know when things are going to good. For such a surgery as I had and see the two long incisions that I have I kind of wonder how I can be feeling as good as I am anybody else have that.