Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lortab 10/500 & Flexeril Worried About My Liver!!!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Pain Medications
I posted my lumbar spine ailments on the Sciatica board as well as the diagnostics I endured, save for the last discogram results. L3/L4 is hot, but not "my" pain. L4/L5 is hot all the way down my right leg into my toes, and is "my" pain, and L2/L3 & L5/S1 are unremarkable. Didn't even feel pressure. Anywho......before all that, started seeing a PM Doctor, and have seen him twice so far. So far, he seems to be on his game. He had done his homework on me before I came in. He took me off Lorcet 10/650 four times a day, which was prescribed by my spine surgeon, and put me on Lortab 10/500 five times a day and one Flexeril tablet before bed. Been on this regimen since 1 NOV, and though it doesn't make me pain free, I can at least get up and get going in the morning, I actually "want" to walk the dogs, when the weather isn't too cold, I can ride tank to tank like I "Usta Could" on both of my Harleys, and in general, I have pain, but it is nothing I can't put in the back of my mind and ignore......sorta like a papercut, or a lump on the ol' noggin'. My concern is what is this stuff doing to my liver? I don't drink anymore, nor will I, and I'm watching my diet, so I can keep my Cholesterol number down, thus avoiding more liver damaging meds.............but even though I'm taking 2.5 grams of acetaminophen every 24 hours, which is 1.5 grams less than the maximum safe daily dosage, I can't help but wonder what effect this is having on my liver. BTW, my PM Doctor said that 2.5 grams of acetaminophen is the new maximum safe daily dosage. Has anyone else heard this? You can't live without your liver........that's why they call it a "LIVER." OK, I know. Corny. But nonetheless, I'm a little........errr.....OK.....alot worried, and for those who will recommend I do so, I've already written it down on my 3X5 index card of questions for my PM Doctor for my next visit. Right now I'm eating 150 of these pink pills each month, or five a day. My next appointment is 24 JAN 2011. My last was 29 NOV 2010, and he wrote my script plus a refill, since he'll be out of town for the Holidays. On my first visit on 1 NOV, he took a baseline piss test, and on 29 NOV he took another piss test. I have nothing to hide. Those tests are to keep honest folks honest, and this guy shows NO MERCY for folks who screw around with his treatment plans, however he does work with patients who are having surgery. He was receptive to, and dictated during my first visit that I would have periodontal surgery on 3 NOV and would be on Percocet for three days post-op. He was also receptive to the 19 NOV Discogram, and called the doctor who did the exam to see what she used for anxiety and pain, so he could exclude it on my piss test. Really liking my new PM Doctor.........just worried about my liver....a bunch! Thanks "Spinies."

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Prior to being fully evaluated for my neck pain 6 years ago ... I was driven to take up to 2400 mgs of Ibuprophen a day in an atempt to control the ensuing pain. After seeing an orthopedic surgeon and starting down the path of multiple surgeries and narcotic pain meds i have had the experience of taking .... almost all of them ... from tramadol to methadone - Tylenol 3 to MS Contin. Currently i take 100 mcg of Fentnynl Q 3 day and up to 6 Oxycodone 10/325 per day .... this in adddition to 1600 mg od Ibuprophen and 3 10 mg Flexirils a day ... 4 - 5 others meds for other reasons also ... been bouncing around6 - 9 meds per day for the past 4 years .... last LFTS (Liver function tests) ... completely WNL - Within Normal Limits. I believe the discontinuation of ETOH (Alcohol) intake has the most to do with it. (Close to 10 years Sans for me) I have know patients to expire after a single weekend of ETOH intake from acut hemmoratic pancreatitis. If one weekend of drinking can kill ya .... that says something. My meds are monitored as are all my blood chemistries.
    I worry not about my meds .... the thought of drinking again scares the crap out of me. I have developed a health fear of alcohol and recoil from it as if from a hot flame. One thought wought be to ask your doc to cut your lortab to 10/325 .... even less Ibuprophen!!! But heck I'm not here to tell your doctor how to practice medicine. He carries the malpractice ... i don't and never will. My opions are my own based on my paltry 30+ year experience working in the healthcare field. I am no longer licensed, or certified .... maybe certifiable (he he) but am actually dumber than a stick. Please keep that in mind when considering anything I have written or pseudo suggested.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Hello HML. Do you have a regular PCP? My Dr normally runs a liver func test every 6-12 months. I'm not taking any medications w/apap anymore, so I don't need the test as often, but back when I was taking 6 norco a day, I had the liver func. test done every 3-6 months at my regular PCPs office. You might want to ask about that if you haven't been tested in a while.
    I hear all sorts of new numbers as far as the apap goes, I think a lot of it is whatever each Dr is confortable with.. but the latest I heard was that for CP patients who are taking (or going to be taking) apap over long periods of time, a lot of Drs are getting comfortable with the 3000 number. But, like I said, you hear something different from different Drs.
  • I do have a PCP, and I am going to submit to a LFT blood draw Christmas Eve morning. I work a 9/80 schedule, and Christmas Eve is my alternating off day. I need to have fasting blood draws (PCP wants CBC and LFT) pulled within an hour of getting out of bed, or I become monsterous, and as soon as the blood is pulled, I gotta get to the Waffle House quick, fast, and in a hurry, before the headache and the jitters set in. I don't do well when I'm hungry, and not having any coffee coursing through my veins compounds the problem exponentially. My metabolism is in hyperdrive. I eat 5-6 small meals a day, and sitting still is something I've never been very good at. To call me a "Type A Personality" or label me as borderline OCD would be partly accurate. Before my spine nosedived and I had the laminectomy, I used to run no less than 3 miles every morning. Now I just walk, regardless of the pain, just to burn off the energy. Anyway, next Friday, LFT, and I reckon sometime before the New Year, I'll find out if my liver is in danger. And Dave, I never have been one to tell a man how to do his job, but since I'm the one being worked on here, I'll ask my PM Doctor if we can switch to 10/325....I think those are Norcos based on the reading I've done here. Other than the amount of APAP I'm eating, I'm happy with the current pain control regimen. Alcohol is definitely out of the picture at this juncture. Much like quitting my 30 year old smokeless tobacco habit last May, I don't miss it either. Also like same bad habit, don't need it to kill me off. I just finished my second round of periodontal subcutaneous connective tissue gum grafting from that nasty habit, and there's more coming this spring. I should have hung that up long ago, but booze is definitely out......as much as I love 18 year old scotch....those days are done. I'm pretty much a newbie to meds anyway. I don't particularly care for them, except they really do take the sting/bite/edge off of what would otherwise be intolerable pain. I still hurt, but not so bad that it steals my joy like it was before. I don't know if I'll have to change to something stronger in the future, like I've read of some people here. I don't want to think like that. I am normally a forward thinker, but not in this case. I just want to be able to do my job (project management) and enjoy my life without pain being in the forefront of every thought. I have that now, and as long as I have this equilibrium, I'm fine.....and that includes not having to worry about what kind of damage I'm doing to my liver by eating 150 pink pills every month. Nonetheless, thanks so much for the input! As much as it sucks for all of us to have to deal with spine challenges, it is comforting to know I'm not alone.