Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Home from fusion

preeseppreese Posts: 160
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
WEnt in for ALIF on Monday to cure leg pain by fusion L5=S1. Unforunately they couldn't move all the veins and it was too risky, so they had to back out and close and go in through the back. Anatomy problems there too so I have four large incisisions and the plates and screws are on sideways. Needless to say I feel like a semi truck hit me but glad to be home as they were really pushing me to to a nursing home for a few weeks which I did NOT want to do. Also having pain in leg still which is worrying - nothing to be done though, the clock doesn't turn back!

• Sorry to hear they had to open you up twice. I hope you start healing and have less pain soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Sorry your surgery was so difficult. Hopefully your leg pain will lessen with healing. They say that sometimes it takes a while for the pain to subside if you've had it for a long time before surgery. Just remember to take care and don't give up hope. I know it's hard to be positive when you're in pain.

Take care and good luck. Hope you're as comfortable as possible.

• They turned you every which way but loose!!! Hope you are feeling alright. You have been through the wringer. Take care, rest, and remember to check in and let everyone know what you are doing.
  • I am right there with ya. Haven't been home a week yet myself from similar op. I too am having a little leg pain but mine is from the op I know. Good luck I will be pulling for ya.
  • from your fusion. I am so sorry for all that you had to go through with your surgery.Now you are on the other side and can heal and recover and look forward to some pain relief. Wishing you all the best with your recovery. Please keep us updated on how you are doing.I am currently awaiting fusion on my l5/s1 and possibly l4/l5 so am very interested in hearing about your recovery. Take care,
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Welcome home and I'm glad to hear that even though it was a rough time, you're now home and healing. Take good care of yourself and I hope your recovery goes well. We'll be here for you while you progress, and you will get better.

Congrats on getting it done and on to healing and recovery.
  • He took a plastic donut and filled it was donor graft and put that into the space where he had removed the disk - thus creating room for the nerve roots and he then put a plate and screws over the ends and this is whatt we eventually fuse over = I am almost certain that is what he said but we will probably have to wait until the 27th followup to be coherent = my husband was pretty upset too, so we are't posisitive and the nurses really knew slmost nothing, they just kept asking why I have two incisions - one in front and one in back.

I am trying to keep positive and active - walk as much as I can but I do still need the walker to get started and trying to seat some real food after four days of soda crackers! Very cold and icy still here so walking inside only but doing many laps a day.
  • preese
    I am glad to hear your walking ok. I am with ya on the bad weather outside. I can't wait till we can get out side and get some fresh air and some space. Everyday the walls seem to close in on me a bit more. I feel I am still getting a bit stronger everyday. I wish the best for ya and want to tell anyone to feel free to pm me if they see me on hear.

Best wishes

• I am happy that you are home. I am sorry that you had to have the PLIF, as I did that the last time. But it does sound as if you are doing pretty well. We had surgery the same day, so we need to keep each others chins up. I am in Iowa and dealing with snow and ice, so walking is gonna be a challange. But right now, its just a lap around the house. Hang in there and consider yourself hugged!

Happy Holidays, Robin
  • Everyone on here is really helping me keep my sanity = I got so hungry today thoought I was going to take my husbands head off because he was gone so long getting somefood - then I feel bad because he really is good to me and this is blind country for both of us as we just don't know what to expect from day to day, so we ae just plodding along as best we can!!! I am sending tthe rest of you good thhoughts too!! Still wondering about Al from Cinncinnatti if anyone has heard from hhim yet? Geez - ignore my spelling please - it is awful!
  • how awfull for you to have that happen, but on a positive note , your surgery is over and now you can start to heal

did you have a general surgeon for the anterior opening? and do you have any further details as to why they could not proceed anteriolery?

i understand you and your husband must of bin shocked and not, at that time, able to take it all in

hope your pain is being managed well
    last i heard from al was , he went back into hospital as he had new pains and he is on steroids which are settling him down, he is posting from hospital
    take care
  • When I had met with the vascular surgeon prior to the surgery - he explained how they had to move all the veins and arteries out of the way and that sometimes they can't do it that way as it is just too risky if the veins can't be moved enough and that is what happened. If He had been less careful I might have been a statistic today and I would choose this pain over that alternative anyday!
  • the explanation presse, such an unfortuanate thing to happen

its good youve got an appetite now,and are walking a little

take care
    keep healing
  • Wow...was not expecting to read this. Glad they played it safe and that they were able to put the rods/screws in. I hope you are ok and YES, I imagine that HOME is by far better than a nursing/half-way facility!

Keep us posted.
  • I'm glad you're home and healing. Love, Ess