Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need sleep suggestions

preeseppreese Posts: 160
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am give days past an ALIF WHICH TURNED INTO A plif and a a big painful mess. I have been trying to sleep on a singble bed we set up in the living room, on a recclining sofa and at a desk chair - you can tell from the time of this post just how little success I am having and would love to hear some more thoughts and ideas for sleeping more than an hour at a time please!

• Maybe try renting a hospital bed. It is very helpful for me.Even if it is only a month or so, it gives you alot options for changing positions. And your Dr can write a precription for it, and maybe insurance will pay. It really helps me. Hope this helps. I know how hard it is to get comfortable right now. Hope you find something to help you! Take Care, Robin
  • Robin = I will call tomorow and find out about it and real honestly, at this state of the game, I will hapilly pay whatever it takes to get some sleep. I have never had any back surgery before but from the things I had read on here, my hospital was NOT very helpful at getting assistive devices or even what I need. They sent me home without compression stockings and my son who is an RN was livid and brought some right over as I NEED to be wearing those yet to prevent blood clots this hospital really seemed to have their minds made up that I needed a nursing home and when I woldn't go along with that, they sure seemed to wright me off.
  • you may already have it, but the hospital bed was a life saver for me

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    Its not easy

Take a look at Spine-Healths section on Sleeping:
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I had my anterior/posterior revision at the end of Oct. I had asked the doctors to write me a script for a hospital bed before I was discharged to have just in case (even though they argued with me whether my insurance would cover.) I spent the first night home on the recliner and didnt sleep at all. I called the next morning to get a bed delivered. It was the only thing that got me through that first month. My insurance did happen to pay for it and I think it was 6 bucks for the month. Will vary on insurance but if they covered your surgery they will probably cover some part of the bed. The medical supply company who rents the bed to you should do the leg work to talk to the insurance. Best of luck! It does get better!!
  • I had a hospital bed in my living room for 2 months. Otherwise, I would have been stuck upstairs in our bedroom. It was waiting for me when I got home. Im sorry the hospital did not prepare you well. I was actually ahead of the game and tried to set everything up before my surgery..they told me no they will arrange everything in the hospital.. lol..It is the RN in me..i knew what I needed and wanted it done..guess I am a control freak!! lol

As far as sleep goes, I never slept more than 3 or 4 hours at a time for the first month. I was exhausted all the time because of it. I hope you sleep better than I did.
  • The causes of or reasons for insomnia are numerous and include psychological, physical, due to medication, lifestyle etcGood sleep strategies are essential to deep, restorative sleep you can count on, night after night. By learning to avoid common enemies of sleep and trying out a variety of healthy sleep–promoting techniques, you can discover your personal prescription to a good night’s rest. You may not be able to control or eliminate all of the factors that interfere with your sleep, but you can create an environment and adopt habits that encourage a more restful night.
  • If your insurance will not pay for it. I know around here at lot of clubs have these beds to loan out to people in need of them. Moose, Elf, Italian - hmmmm can't think of the other ones - ck around.

Hope you are getting sleep by now :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.