Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS Trial is set!

jay911jjay911 Posts: 540
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Well after a couple visits with my PM doc and askign many questions and having discussions with my neurologist, we've decided to to for it! My trial implant is Jan 3rd and removal is Jan 11th. I talked to the doc who will do the psych eval and he wants to meet me before and after the trial. Since he primarily deals with chronic pain patients he says that people will cancel on their bad days and he gets openings often that way.

So things are coming along, I sure hope I get some relief and can cut back on some of my meds. If not I'm going to have to look into going on disability because I keep falling asleep at work, my meds & fatigue make me unbelievably tired!!

Thanks everyone for all the great info here! I will add my experience as I move down this road!

• Hey that's cool! Best wishes for an excellent trial. Jan 3 is just a hop, skip and a jump away! Please keep us posted on how things progress and by all means, ask any questions that may come to mind, no matter how silly they may seem to you. I know that the closer I got and even during my trial, I would have questions pop into my head that I would have had no clue to ask prior to that.

I'm happy for you.

• I hope it will help you I am 6 month out doing great.

Here wishing you luck.

• Best of luck to you my friend. I do hope this works for you. A lot of people have wonderful success with the SCS although you may not be able to reduce your meds that much.
    Please keep us updated.

Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • I got mine in November and absolutely love it!I remember the trial he turned it on and WOW the pain dropped.
    Live one day at a time and do it with no regrets. I hold my head up high with pride to the fact that i wont let my injury beat me.
    Lumbar surgery 2009
    Cervical fusion C4 to C7 2009
    Neurostimulator 2010
    Heart ablation 2011
    Lumbar fusion L4 to S1 2012 and now L1 2 3 and 4 are split and bulging.
  • Thanks for everyone's well wishes. The next week is going to be long, I am so ready to do the trial!! I did ask the doc about how he handled meds before the trial and permanent implants. He told me he does not like to modify any meds because that may seem to be a bit sadistic! :) In my case I'm on ER morphine and Tramadol & Vicodin for breakthrough pain, and need them all for just a little relief. Because of this he wants to know the amount of change in the pain levels in my back and radiculopathy in my legs -- he plans on addressing both. I was really worried about having to detox and then go without any meds prior to one (or both) of the procedures!

I've talked to my boss at work and told him that if the SCS does not happen to be helpful that I'll have to go to a part time status or go on disability because I have progressed enough to where I cannot work a full week and am out of leave time. I have been taking leave without pay every week. On Christmas my wife and I talked about the possibility of having to sell our house because she will not be able to pay all of our bills on her own. (My disability plan will give me a percentage of my salary for 2 years though and we have not taken that into account. We'll be doing some serious number crunching in the near future!)

I sure appreciate all the good SCS info provided here as well as everyone's support! SH is truly the only place to talk to others going through chronic pain issues. Folks who have the same fears, concerns, good & bad days and true understanding of what we collectively are dealing with. I don't have a mechanical spine issue but some sort of nerve issue/disorder -- with the end result the same as everyone else here. (Except for the option of having surgery to try and fix the problem.) And I, like many others, feel "at home" here.
    Thank You all!
  • Just 3 more days my friend. I prey for a huge success! I am keeping my fingers crossed. I would cross my toes and legs too but I can't even wiggle my toes OR cross my legs either. (LOL)

I have to agree with you Jay. This forum is a wonderful place for human understanding. We can't offer medical advice but we can all understand.

Chronic pain has shredded my life as it has so many others and it is so good to have someplace to go where everyone undersands the agony we suffer.

You have always been so kind to me Jay and I want to thank you for that.

Very best of luck
    Patsy W